Please no, not another Roubo build thread

The garage door could use paint, I'm fine with that. The HOA letter also said I needed to repair and repaint my front porch column. I needed to mow my lawn which I hadn't done in 10 days because of rain, and it was 6 inches long. So I wrote a letter and took a picture of my lawn with a ruler because HOA guidelines they do not exceed 8 inches. I also noted that they need to be aware of their own guidelines. I was also told that I needed to paint my garage. Then there was the last item on the violation list, it said I needed to remove the rust from my chimney cap. In my note that I'll be mailing out to them I stated that my chimney cap was made of copper and included and metallurgical difference between copper and ferrous metals.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

wow, they aren't psycho much are they!?!?

Only advantage to HOA rules is they keep the house next door from being painted bright pink and having a Chevy up on blocks in the front yard in 2 ft tall grass.

These are muncipal offenses here. The city will warn, and then fine, a homeowner who violates residential rules (building an out house, defunct vechiles, etc). But the city would never tell you to clean your chimney cap!

I think we have successfully hijacked so I'll put my $.02 in.

I see absolutely no reason for a totalitarian owners association. All I ever hear are horror stories.

My house needs A LOT of maintainance.

I'll get to it when MY schedule allows.

When I bought my house, an hoa was an absolute deal killer.

• Like 1

So are there really any perks to it? I know some have lawn service and things like that, but a lot of the subdivisions in these parts don't do that, and the street clearing in the winter is worthless at best. My mom lives out in the country, I mow her lawn for her, the neighbor boy plows the drive in the winter for free, and if the county is behind a few of the farmers will have the road passable before they get to it. I think I'd rather just live in the country.

Isn't street cleaning the responsibility of the municipality?

it is, however in the winter a country road is one of the last too get cleared, and normally the farmers do it before the county can, just because there are so many roads to clear.

So are there really any perks to it?

Yeah...when you go to sell your house you can actually get what it's worth because the rednecks next door were forced to keep up the maintenance on their house.  We don't have an HOA but I wish we did...most people with the nicest house on the street feel that way.  I don't need an HOA to tell me to keep my house nice.  I do it anyway.  But a few of my neighbors could use a lashing.  On one side we have a family of pigs who cut their grass only when they can no longer lift their fat legs through it to get to their mailbox, and their roof looks like it's been there since WWII.  And on the other side...well...purple paint on the garage door.  No, I'm not kidding.  And there's nothing I can do about it.

Fortunately we have no plans to move, but it still bothers me.  An HOA keeps neighborhoods looking nice and property values high.  It might be annoying, but it's for the best.  Most humans have to be forced to do what they should do in the first place.

All that said...yeah...I'd rather be out in the country.

Yeah...when you go to sell your house you can actually get what it's worth because the rednecks next door were forced to keep up the maintenance on their house. We don't have an HOA but I wish we did...most people with the nicest house on the street feel that way. I don't need an HOA to tell me to keep my house nice. I do it anyway. But a few of my neighbors could use a lashing. On one side we have a family of pigs who cut their grass only when they can no longer lift their fat legs through it to get to their mailbox, and their roof looks like it's been there since WWII. And on the other side...well...purple paint on the garage door. No, I'm not kidding. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Fortunately we have no plans to move, but it still bothers me. An HOA keeps neighborhoods looking nice and property values high. It might be annoying, but it's for the best. Most humans have to be forced to do what they should do in the first place.

All that said...yeah...I'd rather be out in the country.

your neighbors suck man. Fortunately all the houses in my neighborhood are generally nice, ours is probably the worst looking house on the street, and there's really nothing wrong with it, it's just one of the oldest, and before it was sold the previous owners did some half ass improvements that I need to finish.

I don't think I'm gonna be doing much woodworking today (depending on how stubborn I am). Carpal tunnel is acting up real bad this morning, hands feel like they're on fire. Currently soaking them in ice cold water to relieve some pain. 

I blame Tom Cancelleri for computers and Carpal Tunnel

• Like 1

I don't think I'm gonna be doing much woodworking today (depending on how stubborn I am). Carpal tunnel is acting up real bad this morning, hands feel like they're on fire. Currently soaking them in ice cold water to relieve some pain.

Put some alcohol on it ;)

we need to find this Tom Cancelleri guy and teach him a thing or two...

Been there. Had surgery when I was 18. It's back but not bad enough yet for surgery. However, this arthritis that is locking my fingers in bent position is not pleasant. 

Been there. Had surgery when I was 18. It's back but not bad enough yet for surgery. However, this arthritis that is locking my fingers in bent position is not pleasant. 

Makes it difficult to point out your woodworking errors, thereby showing how good you are!