Ridgid 2424 Table Saw Insert (zero or dado)

Paul Edgar

Hello again,

I have the above model saw and wish to get a dado and a zero clearance insert for the blade opening. This model saw has a very thin metal insert with four adjusting allen head screws for leveling. All the homemade and manufacturer made seem to be much thicker. One carpenter build his out of wood and cuts two slots in the ends and installs cross grain shims for extra strength. The 2424 insert is only about 1/4", no room for even one slot and shim. I haven't found any thing from Ridgid. Anyone run into something similar? Steve

Always weighing want against need........hopeless struggle!

WRONG HOMEBOY!!! Most of us do not NEED all we have in our shops.  Somewhere in there is your "need level" but I trade hours every day at my job just like you, to have BOTH what I need AND some of what I want.  Do I need a cabinet saw? Probably not but I got tired of the little problems of my 'wore out contractor saw'.  I could have gone smaller and MAYBE MET THE NEED ...maybe not...often I only have a little time to work and I absolutely, positively do not want to spend it tweaking a tool before I use it.  I went bigger and better and now I KNOW that when I have a few hours to woodwork, I don't have to mechanic....usually. :)

I think Eric said it best the other day, (something like this) if you've come to this craft hoping to not spend money, you've chosen the wrong field. You're asking questions and clearly going to buy something....just don't cut yourself short based on today's need.  Think ahead to what you might need.

• Like 1

Higtron & Highlander,

Thanks for the information. This morning I went out in my scrap pile and settled on a piece of 3/4'plywood. I traced the outline (my factory insert is faily snug fitting), cut out oversize on the band saw and then sanded the radii until they fit in the recess. I carefully trimmed the ends to fit the almost square lower ridge and it fits like a champ. I used the rabetting bit with the bearing to get the profile and sanded the top after installing. I had to dig out a 7 1/4" blade to make the first thru cut and then the 10" saw finished the job. I will continue my research into a new cabinet saw, but there is a certain satisfaction that comes from making something that you thought you would have to buy from someone else. Home Boy, I gave up the work force a few years ago, so I don't mind tweaking my equipment. I have experienced (too many times), the anticipation of a new shiny toy, only to experience buyer's remorse a short time later. For now I will continue to research a new table saw, but I have no problem making jigs that allow me to do operations that would otherwise need specialized tools or lead to a hazardous experiment. Thank you all for your input. Dave, you're included.

Higtron & Highlander,

Thanks for the information. This morning I went out in my scrap pile and settled on a piece of 3/4'plywood. I traced the outline (my factory insert is faily snug fitting), cut out oversize on the band saw and then sanded the radii until they fit in the recess. I carefully trimmed the ends to fit the almost square lower ridge and it fits like a champ. I used the rabetting bit with the bearing to get the profile and sanded the top after installing. I had to dig out a 7 1/4" blade to make the first thru cut and then the 10" saw finished the job. I will continue my research into a new cabinet saw, but there is a certain satisfaction that comes from making something that you thought you would have to buy from someone else. Home Boy, I gave up the work force a few years ago, so I don't mind tweaking my equipment. I have experienced (too many times), the anticipation of a new shiny toy, only to experience buyer's remorse a short time later. For now I will continue to research a new table saw, but I have no problem making jigs that allow me to do operstions that would otherwise need specialized tools or lead to a hazardous experiment. Thank you all for your input. Dave, your included.

Thats awesome Paul! Now you will get more for your saw when you sell it to buy your shiny new sawstop

I had the successor model to that saw, the 4512, and I was able to make some up using tempered hardboard and 1/4" ply. The hardboard fit the very shallow recess available but was way too flexible to be of use by itself. So I used the ply to reinforce the hardboard and make the whole thing more rigid (no pun intended).

Basically cut the hardboard to fit the oval, then shaped the ply to fit around as much of the insert as possible without interfering with the metal tabs that hold the insert. Then glued the ply to the hardboard, drilled a finger hole, and went to work. Took a while to get everything shaped exactly right, but then I batched out a bunch of them with a pattern bit so I had a nice little stack I could use for new blades, dado's, etc.

I gave them all to the guy I sold the saw to, otherwise I'd show you a pic.