Wood Identification

mjwsjohnson

I tried but my camera won't focus lose enough to see the pores.  I have sent a sample off to the folks at the Wisconson DOA forest research lab for ID.  I should get the results back within a month.  I will post the findings when the come in.  Thanks all for the 

Too many responses to this could earn me a permanent ban. . Trying. . Not. . To.... 

Maybe angico?

Good guess but I'd bet not. I've seen a lot of curupay (angico) that has the same face grain, but I've never seen any with that flutter in the end grain.

Whatever it is, it was very fast growing.

I assume that you say that because you think the dark streaks in the end grain are growth rings. I'm not sure of that.  I'm not convinced we are seeing the growth rings. The end grain shot just isn't good enough. Do you have any other reason to think it's fast growing?

Edited by phinds

Wow....awesome responses from everyone.  I don't believe it costs anything based on the website.  I found them on www.wood-database.com under contact.  I changed the lens on my SLR camera and got some better pictures. They aren't as close as I would like but Ty are a little better.  I'll post them in the next post because I have to upload them onto my computer.

Updated end grain picture.  Hope this one is close enough to distinguish......endGRAIN.thumb.jpg.6c8fae1dcdb172809f806

Hey all.....Just got the results back.  It is Dillenia spp.  It is definitely not native as it grows in tropical regions near the equator like Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.  Now the real mystery is how is found its way to the suburban streets of FL......

LOTS of non-native woods grow in the USA. Just recently a friend surprised me w/ some dawn redwood that is only native to a very small region in China but has been growing in CA for decades now. What surprised me was that he cut down and milled a tree in PA and he tells me there's a fair amount more there.

Quite a few dawn redwoods growing in the Atlanta area. I saw the first one about 35 years ago. It was right next to a ginkgo . Fall was impressive, ginkgo turned brilliant gold and a couple weeks later all the leaves fell in one day. A few days later the dawn redwood started dropping its needles.