Bathroom vanity

Tom Cancelleri

I need a Roubo like I need air to breathe.  That workholding is incredible.  

Funny how much work my dad did with no work bench or clamps.  "Son just hold this board right here while I cut.  Don't let it move.....  G*damnit I told you to hold it still."   

Funny how much work my dad did with no work bench or clamps.  "Son just hold this board right here while I cut.  Don't let it move.....  G*damnit I told you to hold it still."   

So true. I remember my dad saying Tom, hold this while I cut this. Here I am 8 years old holding down 2x4s and stuff so he can cut, drill, etc.

So true. I remember my dad saying Tom, hold this while I cut this. Here I am 8 years old holding down 2x4s and stuff so he can cut, drill, etc.

Yep, me too.

Tom wondering why the grain runs differently on the panels? Maybe the back that no one will see?

Mike, 

The outside of the vanity will not be seen as it will be installed between 2 walls. The inside will be the only visible part, it will be covered by doors on the left and on the right. There is going to be a bank of drawers in the center. Being that the vanity is 77" wide, using the construction method I wanted to use meant 77" long piece of ply. Sadly they don't have it with the direction running the other way. It will never be seen unless you're really inspecting the piece.  I could have split it to have multiple pieces, but that adds complexity and time. Both unnecessary. Besides, when I finish this, I can go back to working on things built with real wood.

Tom, meaning you'll use solid wood next time or there won't be a next on a cabinet this size?

No more plywood cases, or cabinets this large. It's such a pain to move around, plywood is cumbersome and unwieldy to work with. Joinery is no fun with ply, worrying about sanding through our chipping the very thin veneer. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Rift sawn walnut definitely has a much different look than plain sawn. Funny how rift sawn makes red oak look better and walnut not as interesting. 

Actually i really like rift sawn walnut - but my taste is more modern.  I prefer straight grain in all species.  

Another coat, this ply is just sucking in the finish. Never seen that happen on the second coat of ARS. This sheet had some interesting issues with the walnut layer. It was rather rough, and even after some sanding with 320 grit it was still rough. Not wanting to go through the veneer, I decided I would just smooth the finish. After the first coat dried I lightly sanded with some 400 grit and it was nice and smooth. Might need 4 coats of ARS for this.