Bathroom vanity

Tom Cancelleri

The saga continues... Wu Tang! Just face jointed and edge joined all the drawer wood. 4/4 hard maple. Then it was off to the bandsaw for some resawing to 11/16 I was pretty impressed by the starrett blade yet again, it chewed through the boards pretty fast. ee0ca3d90a1fa77ef012289382b76eaf.jpg4b01f4fe67c47b65020ee6cb7265b724.jpg Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have just heard that two times the past couple of weeks and do not know what it is.  What is slip matched

Chet it's the grain patterns. Book match is a mirror image, slip match is the same orientation...  Sliced off and slipped over not sliced and folded out...

Try the images here if I didn't explain it properly:

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/match.html

• Like 1

These panels are too thin to clamp using parallel clamps. I just cut apart my "plate joining jig" that I built when I first started woodworking. I made it so it will clamp these panels flat and with good clamping pressure. It's when you use when you glue an acoustic guitar top or back. I'll post a video of it when it is dry and I glue up a panel.

Chet it's the grain patterns. Book match is a mirror image, slip match is the same orientation...  Sliced off and slipped over not sliced and folded out...

Try the images here if I didn't explain it properly:

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/match.html

Thanks for explaining that.  I appreciate the link as well as it helped to visualize it.

TC, I've never seen anything like this.  The rope is pulling the panels together like a clamp?  And the wooden pieces are acting as a caul?  Are they straight or on a slight radius?

Luthiers have been using them forever to glue up soundboards. The ropes pull against the sides and then when you hammer the wedges under the ropes it pulls the sides and flattens them down and acts as a caul. It's simple and genius. The jig is jointed flat so you can get the panels nice and flat edge to edge, though I'm betting if I did a radius on the bottom of the piece that rests on the panels it would work possibly better (if that's possible) it's been working great so I'll leave it as is for now. Once I'm done with the vanity and I get it out of the shop, perhaps I'll do a video on it, or even a how to build one. 

Edited by Tom Cancelleri
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2015 at 7:33 AM, bushwacked said:
Where are the updates.

I took the weekend off, decided to spend my birthday weekend having some fun, and on some me time instead of doing another 12+ hours on this gigantic box. Last week was about 20 hours between building doors, resawing panels, panel glue ups, applying finish to the hidden areas of the vanity.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2015 at 9:36 PM, Tom Cancelleri said:

Then it was off to the bandsaw for some resawing to 11/16 I was pretty impressed by the starrett blade yet again.

Tom, sorry to semi-hijack, but where do you buy the Starrett bandsaw blades? I can only find the bimetal ones for cutting steel and I would imagine the 14-18 teethcount would be too dense for wood?

Then it was off to the bandsaw for some resawing to 11/16 I was pretty impressed by the starrett blade yet again.

Tom, sorry to semi-hijack, but where do you buy the Starrett bandsaw blades? I can only find the bimetal ones for cutting steel and I would imagine the 14-18 teethcount would be too dense for wood?

Woodcraft sells them

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1