Spend $1,000 for me

Lee Bussy

Now go grab your piece of 8/4 stock that is 8' long and get out your hand saw to split that in half....stand back, look at the task at hand, and wish you bought a bandsaw first. 

Or...after you resaw that 8' 8/4 board with the bandsaw, grab your hand plane, get that thing flat enough to send through the planer...then stand back and wish you'd bought a jointer first. :D

As usual, it's not an either/or proposition...they're both essential tools for furnituremaking.  In terms of enjoyment anyway.  There are workarounds for almost every tool...very few of them are any fun.

• Like 1

Or...after you resaw that 8' 8/4 board with the bandsaw, grab your hand plane, get that thing flat enough to send through the planer...then stand back and wish you'd bought a jointer first. :D

As usual, it's not an either/or proposition...they're both essential tools for furnituremaking.  In terms of enjoyment anyway.  There are workarounds for almost every tool...very few of them are any fun.

Agreed, they eventually both become essential.  But if you choose your boards wisely and tune your bandsaw well, you could get away without planing by hand and going right to the surface planer. I lived without a jointer and made some damn square stuff. It sucked, but better than not having a way to resaw efficiently. I chose bandsaw first and would do it again 7 days a week and twice on sunday given one or the other.

*grab your hand plane, ruin the board, cry in a corner and then buy more wood and a jointer.

I fixed that so it applies to me.

• Like 2

Did I mention how sparkly that new windshield is?  Still waiting for the blower and resistor. :)

There is no doubt in my mind that I would have a 5 hp, 20" Powermatic band saw and a 12" helical head, 3hp Powermatic jointer (after all I only have single phase power) if I had the money.  I do not.  I'm not poor by a long shot, I just focus on making sure I can retire first.  

Someday ..... I do like good tools.   For now I guess I will be schleppjng back and forth to the guild. 

Being a novice as well, I think it really comes down to goals and priorities. At the heart of the issue, it is re-sawing vs. jointing. If you are purchasing S4S lumber, then the jointer's value is diminished. If you are not resawing material, then the bandsaw's value is diminished. Both are for the key task they accomplish, and a lack of either means a more difficult alternative.

Regarding purchasing strategy, there are two schools of thought: "Buy quality, you will only cry once" and "Don't buy more tool than you need". Both have their merits, and generally speaking, you do get what you pay for. The question becomes at what point does your personal skill exceed the tools you are working with?

On one hand, you don't want to be fighting your own personal limits AND the tool. On the other, you may not need all the bells and whistles, paying for things you don't need - and you may find your priorities become more clear with experience.

My advice, for what little experience I have, is to determine what projects you are wanting to tackle and prioritize your purchases based on that. Purchasing used can save quite a bit of money and allow you to purchase two decent machines that can accomplish your goals. Once you have identified features and qualities that you prefer, you can always sell what you have and upgrade.

1)Being a novice as well, I think it really comes down to goals and priorities. At the heart of the issue, it is re-sawing vs. jointing. If you are purchasing S4S lumber, then the jointer's value is diminished.

2)If you are not resawing material, then the bandsaw's value is diminished. Both are for the key task they accomplish, and a lack of either means a more difficult alternative.

I'll happily counter both points.  

1) S4s lumber is very rarely actually square on 4 sides without any warp,bow,  or twist along the length.  It is more pre surfaced to give you less trouble than rough stock.  I buy S4s proabably 50% of the time since the closest yard to me only has it. I don't think I've ever found a piece that was perfect and ready to go. 

2) resawing is one of Many things the band saw excels at.  Throwing it into the box of "it can only do this" is a great simplification.  I'm seriously considering getting rid of my table saw and getting a track saw for sheet goods.  

• Like 1

1) S4s lumber is very rarely actually square on 4 sides without any warp,bow,  or twist along the length.  It is more pre surfaced to give you less trouble than rough stock.  I buy S4s proabably 50% of the time since the closest yard to me only has it. I don't think I've ever found a piece that was perfect and ready to go. 

2) resawing is one of Many things the band saw excels at.  Throwing it into the box of "it can only do this" is a great simplification.  I'm seriously considering getting rid of my table saw and getting a track saw for sheet goods.  

I get what your saying Eric, but I would personally find it very hard to live without a table saw.  I know some people insist that s bandsaw (or bandsaws) can replace a TS, but for my work I would really miss it.

• Like 1

Oh I agree that S4S isn't perfect, but it is a lot closer than rough stock. I also agree that the band saw can do many things well, but there is only one task that there isn't a very good alternative to, and that is re-sawing. I mean, steady hands and a hand saw, sure...maybe, but then we are back to the hand tool alternatives.

Both are pretty darn important. So do we get to start the rumor that Eric is getting rid of his table saw? I mean, that's what I heard... ;)

Remember one thing the bandsaw doesn't do at all: non-through cuts. I like my bandsaw, but the tablesaw is the heart and soul of my woodworking machinery. Rips, crosscuts, resaws, miters, grooves, dadoes, tenons, tongues, bridles, curves, circles, coves, roundovers, champhers, even spindles, spheres, and bowls can be machined with a tablesaw. No amount of jiggery will let a bandsaw do all that.

Remember one thing the bandsaw doesn't do at all: non-through cuts. I like my bandsaw, but the tablesaw is the heart and soul of my woodworking machinery. Rips, crosscuts, resaws, miters, grooves, dadoes, tenons, tongues, bridles, curves, circles, coves, roundovers, champhers, even spindles, spheres, and bowls can be machined with a tablesaw. No amount of jiggery will let a bandsaw do all that.

it could if your band saw is a ninja.

• Like 1

I don't want to make a bowl nor want one, but how in the heck do you make one on a ts? Or spindles or spheres? Not sure I want to know?

1. Stick to making beer, it's cheaper in the long run.

2.  I just bought a Grizzly G0513 from their warehouse that they're closing in PA.  It retailed for about $925, but I got it for just under $750 with the sale.  I just got the 3/4" 3 TPI resaw blade for it yesterday and that saw is everything I was hoping.  I can resaw anything with it, and it comes out almost as smooth as it does from the planer.  Totally worth it, and I have no regrets about getting it.  I'm able to saw reasonable sized cuts of wood as well to create turning blanks for the lathe as well.

As for a jointer, I just have a simple 6" Porter Cable, so not much help there.  Better than nothing, but not the best.

• Like 1