WTO Rite of Passage: Roubo Build Thread

bgreenb

I agree the BC seems like unnecessary complications. I'm debating whether to use my Leigh FMT for the legs and rails. The plan calls for 5/8" x 2" M&T and it can do 1/2" X 2" which is a little smaller but pretty much same long grain glue surface. It sure would save a lot of time rounding over tenons.  

I don't have the FMT, but I have the D4R, and if the FMT takes anywhere near the same amount of time to set up as the D4R, I'd say use your table saw :)

Honestly, rounding over the tenons took me about 15-20 minutes total with a rasp. I personally just think tenons on the table saw are super easy. But do whatever method you're most comfortable with. 

Keep in mind that the long rail tenons are thicker, so you might not be able to use the FMT for those.  

So it's been a while since I updated.  All the construction for the bench is done.  Kind of anticlimactic, I know.  I still need to sand and apply finish to the deadman, gap stop, dogs, and shelves, but all the construction is done.  Photo at the end of the post, but here are some notes for those of you who like to read long descriptive posts.  

- I used danish oil on the bench.  Applied one coat last week.  It ended up kind of blotchy in a bunch of places, which I suspect has to do with the cold weather in the garage.  I used space heaters but it was still rather cold.  No way to avoid it, cuz I ain't lugging that thing into the house to finish it.  Oh well, it's a bench.  I'll probably still apply one more coat at some point if we catch a freak warm day.

- In the chat room a couple weeks ago I was complaining about having to build the dog breeder and saying that I might just make all the dogs without it.  As usual, I was an idiot.  Took me less than an hour to batch out all the dogs, which included making the dog breeder and applying the suede treatment to the dogs.  Easy peasy.

- After glue up, my gap stop bowed significantly along its length.  I reflattened it, but now it's a pretty loose fit in the gap.  I don't think it's a huge deal because quite honestly it will function mostly as a tool holder, but I might end up re-making this somewhere down the line if it turns out to be an issue.

- I cannot wait to get this thing completely finished so I can get my shop reorganized.  It's an absolute circus in there right now.  I'm tripping over things left and right.  

- I love my new grizzly OSS.  Used it for shaping the deadman and the leg vise chop.  Huge improvement over my Ridgid one.  I know everyone loves that Ridgid machine, but I could never get it to work right, and I hated the plastic table.  Could never get it square to the spindle.

I'll probably have some more thoughts after I finish this whole thing up, but here's how she stands now:

A388498E-269C-49E9-94F4-76C9B2AC0CCC_zps

FC29B3BE-40A3-4156-A219-2373860ED576_zps

• Like 2

Looks great Brian and love the walnut! I didn't make the dog breeder and it took me about an hour but still have to apply the suede. I don't know if BC included enough for all 14 dogs. My back slab has 1/16" bow along the length so maybe your gap stop would be a good match for it :)

Thanks!  They didn't include enough suede Mike.  I bought it on ebay from a seller that Tom recommended.  I have a TON leftover.  If you want to PM me your address I'd be happy to send it to you.  You just pay shipping.  

Another drawback to the Pirate Ship Package...no holdfasts.  They were included in the benchmaker's package when all the cool kids were building benches. B)

Hmmm let's see.  Option 1:  save hours on installation, never have to worry about locating a pin to clamp something, but pay $40 to get holdfasts.  Option 2:  get free holdfasts.

You're right - tough choice :)

• Like 2