WTO Rite of Passage: Roubo Build Thread

bgreenb

Brian, As a suggestion, you might wanna make sure the grain is going in the same direction across the entire slab so when you run it through the planer you don't get any tear out. 

As for the vise installation, it's all on their site. They don't send it as part of the bench maker's package. Installation is pretty simple. If you have questions, let me know it's still fresh in my head. Also the guild plans won't be a problem with the exception of the criss cross install. Are you doing knock down or draw boring the entire bench?

Brian, As a suggestion, you might wanna make sure the grain is going in the same direction across the entire slab so when you run it through the planer you don't get any tear out. 

As for the vise installation, it's all on their site. They don't send it as part of the bench maker's package. Installation is pretty simple. If you have questions, let me know it's still fresh in my head. Also the guild plans won't be a problem with the exception of the criss cross install. Are you doing knock down or draw boring the entire bench?

Thanks Tom.  I did try to pay attention to grain direction, but there were a few boards that had defects along the edge that I would prefer be on the bottom of the bench, so I had no choice there.  Hopefully with very light passes through the planer I can avoid tearout.  

I've printed out all the vise instructions here at work and I've already read through - seems pretty straightforward like you said.  I am planning to draw bore the entire bench.  Can't imagine ever having to knock this thing down, and if I do, just removing the slabs should be sufficient.  As a wise man recently said in the chat room, if you can't lift the base without the slabs on it, you're a total <censored>.

Behold!  A glue up!

4771B4A1-ECF5-4863-9A49-3ABA228F86EE_zps

That was....stressful.  That's a lot of surface area to get covered in glue, not to mention getting it all together and clamped up before the glue sets.  Glad it's done.  Gonna go to town with a cabinet scraper later on to get all the glue off.  The surfaces look pretty flush except in a few spots that I'll hit with my jack plane.  Gonna let it sit overnight and then do the final surfacing tomorrow.

In the meantime, I built the dog hole jig and rough milled the dog hole strip and the 3/8" filler strip or whatever it's called.  I used a separate 4/4 piece for the 3/8" one - wasteful but like I said I don't have resaw capabilities right now, so it is what it is.  

CC745A37-93E1-457A-BC42-2E1907DD1BD3_zps

Then I set up two routers, one with a 1/2" spiral upcut and the other with a top bearing pattern bit.  Figured I might as well get them ready to go.  Planning on using both to route the dog holes (kill the meat with the spiral bit and then flush trim to the jig with the other bit.  Plus I'll need the spiral bit to route the screw cavity.

25C0BE65-CEFD-4631-8206-1C5164DB891C_zps

Oh, and I made some dust:

038497EC-0E27-4A70-AAA2-56315D00C88B_zps

Tomorrow:  slab milling and potentially starting on the slab tenon/screw cavity if I have time.

• Like 1

Looking good man! No insulation needed in Boston since you never get snow? :)

Insulation very much needed. Unfortunately every time I think about  doing insulation I want to jump in front of a bus :)

It's tough in winter though. Cast iron gets damn cold in February. 

Insulation very much needed. Unfortunately every time I think about  doing insulation I want to jump in front of a bus :)

It's tough in winter though. Cast iron gets damn cold in February. 

insulation is easy and cheap. I insulated the crap out of my shop and it makes a huge difference winter and summer. 

https://goo.gl/photos/GS5WEXDLU21nKTkM8

Proof it pays off

Major progress today.  Got the slabs cleaned up.  The front slab fit on my 8" jointer (barely), so I took a few light passes to clean up one side.  Then I put both of them through the planer until the other side flattened out.  The larger slab was pretty flat already from the dominos - I had to do a little work to one side to get it completely flat before putting it through the planer.  Kudos to those of you who did the slab flattening by yourself - these things are damn heavy.  I could've done the smaller one solo, but the large one I definitely needed help.  Not so much because of the weight - the thing is so damn unwieldy trying to get it fed through the planer would've been difficult.

Here's a shot of my lovely indeed support and the finished slabs.

3415B707-1B72-4FBD-92E2-0F023F67B763_zps

CD10B727-810F-4B31-ABE9-DCF35B22D74B_zps

I couldn't resist getting to work on the joinery.  I used my tracksaw to square up one end of the small slab, and then again to cut the slab tenon.  Circular saw joinery sucks.  Made a bunch of passes until I had little slivers of wood that popped right off with a chisel.  My wide 2" japanese chisel came in handy here.  I used my dovetail saw to cut down from the end grain and then a flush trim saw to cut from the short edge to meet the kerf from the dovetail saw.  That was slow going, but I don't have any other handsaws that are deep enough to make that cut.  

A few swipes with my RBP and I had a nice clean tenon.  Then I got to work on the screw cavity.  Damn that was a lot of routing.  Too much routing.  Even with a brand new 1/2" spiral bit it still sucked.

Somehow I screwed up when setting up the edge guide and ended up with the cavity being 1/32" too wide.  I'm gonna sleep on it before I glue back a patch and re-route.  I think it's fine to leave it as is, it just means the tail vise tracks will be an extra 1/32" apart.  There's supposed to be some slop in there anyway.  I'm gonna think about it.  My OCD will probably make me glue a patch on and redo it.

Anyway, here it is:

56F5B3C3-2738-415A-BE91-E804D5D48AF8_zps

Also had my first two injuries.  The thumb was from when I was cabinet scraping the glue off the slab, I slipped and cut my thumb on some dried glue - that stuff is damn sharp.  The middle finger wound was from the marking knife when laying out the slab tenon.  Completely sliced into my finger.  Bled like a stuck pig.  Left a trail going back in the house to clean it up.  Thought about going to urgent care for stitches but quite honestly didn't want to quit for the day until I had the slab tenon done.  So I slapped a band aid on it.  Damn thing is still throbbing though.  So yeah - dried glue and marking knives.  Both sharp.

4FEA899E-20A1-4B4D-93B6-90FDF1E91A4C_zps

• Like 1