Tugboats for Christmas

wouldwurker

I cannot imagine getting all the way through grade school without making at least one gigantic dried rubber snotball by smearing that crap around on the top of your desk and rubbing it until it magically forms a gigantic dried rubber snotball.

I guess when you grow up with dinosaurs around you miss out on a lot of fun stuff.

• Like 2

I remberemember Silly Putty, where you could press it down on the Sunday funnies and the pic would transfer to the SP but I guess we didn't have that toxic glue stuff?

Cut and paste huh? I'll be dipped? Oh well, I bet our "stuff" in the sixties was better than your stuff in the 80's or 90's

Couldn't get into the shop for a week with family in town for the holiday.   Finally got back to it tonight.  

Cut all the small pieces for the deck cabin, captain's cabin, roof, and smokestack.  Cherry, Spanish cedar, Walnut, and Purple Heart respectively.  They'll all get portholes and a radius after they get glued together. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

They look VERY COOL!

My only concern is that they look a bit top heavy for real bathtub use. Can you add some weight to the bottom or hollow out the cabins and smoke stacks to make them lighter. A tug boat on it's side is almost useless. LOL

Probably not a problem at all but, that was my first concern when I saw the pictures.

Rog

• Like 1

Hey Rog!  

I cut the portholes and the radius last night, which took the weight down a bit.  Plus, the Spanish Cedar weighs next to nothing. 

The fact that the cabin is recessed into the hull might make it less top heavy too...we'll see if she's seaworthy!

Cut the portholes on the drillpress last night with stop blocks in place.    Every time I set up stop blocks I think to myself in the process I could just be marking and drilling these by hand quicker ..,,, but the second I am batching out 10 in a row without any measuring or marking there is a huge smile on my face.  

I am very happy with my wood choices and the color scheme!

image.jpg

• Like 1