Workshop Coming to Life, Finally

wnaziri

More work done this weekend.

First, the last of my big tools got moved to the the shop, which is the jointer.  I dare say it is my favorite big power tool.  It is the hardest to move because it is very awkward and also very heavy.

1.thumb.jpg.750212062f10d803c72250ac0ccc

The joiner had developed a superficial rust layer in some areas which should not take too much work to clean.  This toy is nearly new and will require minimal work before it can be put to use.  It is still on the pallet jack because I am not sure where to place it.

Well, I tried to follow my plan for placing the tools but it is proving hard.  These tools are bigger than I had imagined.  Here is my version 1.0:

2.thumb.jpg.21a0c8118097f6c927ec14abe5d3

3.thumb.jpg.a97869d518a917f098c7db468d50

As you can see, I don't know if I can stick the jointer between the planer and the table saws.  I think I will push the table saws closer to the right side wall and the planer closer to left side to see if that will work.

Finally, the table saw was looking pretty sorry so I got to work on it right away.  It works fine but I want it look as good as it works.  So, I started the refinishing process today.  I think it will take the rest this week to get it to where I would like it to be.  Here is a sample what I got done on the saw this evening:

4.thumb.jpg.9f961a00f15576962f8355863237

I refinished the miter gauge; cleaned the table table to left of the miter gauge dovetail slot; installed a new Northfield throat plate.  The saw has a 12 inch blade but I will probably go with a 16" Forrest Woodworker II.  Before calling it quits for the night, I put my table saw of the last 2 years on the new table saw to put into perspective the transition.

Finally, I started my workbench build this weekend.  I am building the Fine Woodworking Shaker bench with hard maple top, cherry bottom with the Lie-Nielsen twin screw vise.  I should mention that I ordered the lumber through Shannon Rogers.  He sent me some really high quality maple and cherry.  Probably too good for the bench but why not.

5.thumb.jpg.1e11a9950464676846417b7286c9

Here in the corner of the shop is the embryonic stage of the workbench.  The lumber is getting acclimated but at least it is started.  I need to get some 1X2's tomorrow to sticker the pieces properly.  Wish me luck with the bench build.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

that's a nice jointer ! How big ?

I bought the jointer about 18 months ago and promptly put it in storage since I had no where I could put it to use.  When I bought it, it was advertised as 3 HP / 12 inch jointer.  In reality, it turned out that the motor on it is actually 5 HP!  I have not actually taken a tape measure to the tool but I can tell you that the bed on it NOT 12 inches.

Next time I am in the shop, I will measure the beast. 

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's a pretty big upgrade in table saws!

I agree.  I had to pinch myself when I realized that I was about to start using an amazing table saw.  That comparison pic is really a reminder for me.  

You see, I have been using the Dewalt bench top saw for the past 2 years to do all my projects.  I did managed to make some nice furniture with it.  I knew all along that bench top saws were really not made for making furniture.  It always seemed to me that no two cuts were the same.  The most important part for me was that I proved to myself that I could make nice furniture.  

I can not wait to have my workshop set up completed and start making lots of sawdust.  

9 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Thats a BEAST!  Did you paint it or did you have the work done?

I refurbished the saw myself. 

I basically took the saw apart, sanded the components, put red oxide primer on those pieces and then painted them all.  I spoke to people at Northfield and they were very helpful.  They told me exactly what paint color and manufacturer they use.

Learned a lot today while wiring the saw.  It was 3 Phase / 480V and converted it to 3 Phase / 208V.  Had to redo the magnetic switch, heaters, breaker fuses, and starter switch wiring.  By the end of the day, it was humming.

https://youtu.be/2TGkXGW_CM8

On 12/24/2015 at 0:04 AM, wnaziri said:

For lighting, I was going to spend money on LED lights but it is a bit pricey.  So, I have decided to go with fluorescent lights by adding 6 more 8 foot 2-bulb lights, for a total of 8 such units.  I think it will be plenty light and the price is right.

If you were closer I would have gladly given you a bunch of 4-foot double tube fluorescent fixtures and a box of new fluorescent bulbs to go with them. I'm in the process of switching over to LED fixtures. The fluorescent variety dim over time, requiring that the tubes be replaced and at least around here there's a $1.50 to $2.00 per bulb disposal fee for the 4-foot variety, don't know what the price is for the 8-footers. Local CostCo has had a good price for the LED fixtures, and as of tomorrow will have them at a 15% reduced price for the next month. The remaining fluorescent fixtures will be coming down this weekend.

Enjoy your new shop, the available space and high ceilings will be a real bonus of the new site.

• Like 1

I had a short-ish day at work so I made a little more progress in the shop. 

Added two more 3 Phase circuits and now the jointer and planer are ready to use.  The two tools are finally situated where I had wanted to place them, adjacent to each other.  I hope the setup works out like I envisioned because it will take an act of god to make me move them, ever again.  By the way, I measured the jointer; it is a 12" jointer with17 inch by 96" bed and it has 4 HHS knives.  Set up was very straight forward.  I set the jointer up for 1/8th inch cut.  I jointed an 8 inch piece of 8/4 cherry to just try it out.  (I reduced the cut to 1/32 later for daily use).  Learned two things:

1.  It cut through the cherry like buttah.  2.  It made a royal mess in my workshop as my DC is not set up yet, but I was happy to do the clean up.

I have not used the planer yet but it is much quieter than I had expected for the size of the motor.

Jointer.thumb.jpg.4661731cd365fdf9b007a2

Planer.thumb.jpg.46c701587a045cf4d9c13b3

• Like 1