Workshop Coming to Life, Finally

wnaziri

On January 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Chestnut said:

Wow this is an awesome shop. I'm using that same job-site saw in my basement and the tools are great and all but that space is far more valuable. I did the math and i think i only have about 180 sq ft in my shop, if that adds any more perspective.

There is a silver lining in everything.  I realize that 180 sf is pretty small but at least you have some space that you can call your workshop.  I had a great time making furniture in my backyard the past 2 years.  I used the Dewalt bench top saw for all my projects.  I realized that I had to accept results that were less than perfect but in the end, my projects were acceptable.  My thought is to not view the limited space nor the tools that you own be a limiting factor.  You can get a lot of nice projects done in limited space with minimal tools.

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Do you plan on building furniture with railroad tie sized lumber? Incredible machine capacities you are installing. Just a bit jealous.

Well, as I have said before, I am fully aware that my tools are overkill but I could not pass them up given the prices I paid.  

You would be shocked with what my costs were for these tools.  The sad fact is that many furniture companies in the US are closing and their assets can be had for pennies on the dollar.  Plus, I am very fond of old iron.  They require some initial elbow grease and TLC; they are not high tech; but I love their simplicity, heft, and precision.  They don't make 'em like they used to.  

The final ingredient is that I am not smart enough to know any better.  With my day job, I have come realize and appreciate the right tool to do any given job right.  So, for each tool, I bought the best I could possible get for my allotted dollars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

Well, yessss.  I do plan to build furniture using old railroad ties.  I am going to start a new category called "Robust Rustic"!  Here is the start of my first project:

RusticRobust.thumb.jpg.ff0fe59a52af6b840

I had to do this just for you.  I found a railroad tie and could not help myself.:D

WAIT... That's a planer......

i thought it was your fridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

1.  Secure a workshop:  check

2.  Tools to use in the new workshop: check.

3.  Material to work with:

LumberLibrary.thumb.jpg.544a40cb2b10aad9

Finally moved all my lumber to the said workshop!  Took about 3 weeks of moving big, heavy pieces of lumber.  The lumber had been in two storage units for the past several years.  I have gathered about 11 species of lumber which should be a good starting point.

4.  Skill to transform wood into useful objects: working on it.

It looks like the first project for the new workshop will be cherry cabinets for one of the rooms in our house. Stacked on the table saw are 16 cabinet doors that have been completed but awaiting finish of satin Arm-R-Seal.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, wnaziri said:

Well, as I have said before, I am fully aware that my tools are overkill but I could not pass them up given the prices I paid.  

You would be shocked with what my costs were for these tools.  The sad fact is that many furniture companies in the US are closing and their assets can be had for pennies on the dollar.  Plus, I am very fond of old iron.  They require some initial elbow grease and TLC; they are not high tech; but I love their simplicity, heft, and precision.  They don't make 'em like they used to.  

The final ingredient is that I am not smart enough to know any better.  With my day job, I have come realize and appreciate the right tool to do any given job right.  So, for each tool, I bought the best I could possible get for my allotted dollars.

In an attempt to learn from your experience, are those Craigslist purchases or auction pieces; and how did you transport those heavy machines...what did you use besides a pallet jack? 

8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Take us on a tour,  what you got in there? 

Well, here is a brief tour of my current lumber collection, going from left to right:

- The short pieces are milled QS 8/4 and 6/4 sapele, ready for use

- A bunch of 4/4 cypress

- 6/4 cherry

- 8/4 and 10/4 hard maple 

- 8/4 cherry

- 12/4, 8/4, 6/4 African padauk (they will kill your back; ask me how I know)

- 10/4 mahogany, 14' each, matched and sequential pieces:D

- 4/4 waterfall(?) buginga

- Lots of purpleheart, wide and long.  Have no idea why I bought the stuff.  Have no idea what to do with it either.

- 4/4 old growth pine

- 6/4 and 4/4 maple and birch

- 6/4 and 4/4 white oak

- 8/4, 6/4, and 4/4 live edge, air dried NC walnut, harvested in mid-1970's (600 BF, paid $2 per Linear foot! :))

- 5/4 QS bubinga, 6-18' wide, 12-14' long

- 5/4 birch

- Cocobolo, 2 pieces of which are 6' long and 16/4; QS wenge far right and out of sight

10 hours ago, wnaziri said:

Update:

1.  Secure a workshop:  check

2.  Tools to use in the new workshop: check.

3.  Material to work with:

LumberLibrary.thumb.jpg.544a40cb2b10aad9

Finally moved all my lumber to the said workshop!  Took about 3 weeks of moving big, heavy pieces of lumber.  The lumber had been in two storage units for the past several years.  I have gathered about 11 species of lumber which should be a good starting point.

4.  Skill to transform wood into useful objects: working on it.

It looks like the first project for the new workshop will be cherry cabinets for one of the rooms in our house. Stacked on the table saw are 16 cabinet doors that have been completed but awaiting finish of satin Arm-R-Seal.

I've been to hardwood dealers that have less lumber than you ?

Looks like an awesome shop.  Enjoy!

27 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

In an attempt to learn from your experience, are those Craigslist purchases or auction pieces; and how did you transport those heavy machines...what did you use besides a pallet jack? 

I did not buy anything from CL.  Not a fan of CL.

I bought a couple of items from a local furniture maker who likes big iron.

Most of the items were bought at auctions over nearly 2 years.  What helped me was the fact that I did not have a workshop nor the time to use the stuff I was buying so I could easily exercise patience.  For every successful auction, I probably bid on 10 that I did not win.

As for moving: I used freight companies to get the tools to me from all over the country.  I had the best luck with YRC (excellent prices).  Locally, to get the tools into the shop, it took forklifts mostly to move them.  I used the pallet jack a couple of times also.

If you need more detail info, don't hesitate to PM me.  Would be happy to share my thoughts.

• Like 1

Shop looks awesome, and hellava nice job refurbishing the table saw. All the machines are great, but that saw is a real gem.

I must add, the fact that you stored lumber in a storage facility and shopped for 2 years for the right deals on killer machines, takes some serious patience!  I'm happy for you the day has finally arrived.