Dowelmax ... Accurate?

woodsmoke

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

And then all they need to do is renew it so, it may or may not run out.

No, patents run out, and nothing can stop it.  It is the only kind of intellectual property that this is still true about, but they can not keep things under patent forever. That was why there was the explosion of 3d printers a few years ago, the patents on the basic process of using a filament and making a 3d printed object ran out, so it was legal to sell things like makerbots and so on.

21 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Every weekend til everybody owns one, apparently...

Just curious, does anyone know when the patent ends, or how long tool patents tend to last?  Someone mentioned the other day that the ridgid patent for their spindle sander was up, (grizz is now making a similar one) so it was on my mind...

Yes and no.  In the US patents typically last 20 years.  Big Pharma has found a way to extend patents by tweaking formulations, making combination drugs and changing indications.  I don't think tool makers have that luxury.  That being said, Festool can always innovate and get a new patent.  Of course a competitor can copy the 1.0 domino but they will always be a generation or 2 behind.  

Also, a trademark can last forever. Festool owns the Domino name so the immitators will have to come up with a new name.   Get ready for the Grizzly 0501x Tenonmaker Polar Extreme Series :)

On 1/3/2016 at 9:02 PM, shaneymack said:

How many times a month are we going to do the dowels vs domino debate?? Sheeesh......!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hey I found this wood in a pallet behind my local Stop&Shop.  Can someone ID it for me?

19 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Get ready for the Grizzly 0501x Tenonmaker Polar Extreme Series :)

Perfect.  Now I know what to get @Eric. for Christmas next year!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have both and still use both.  I had the dowelmax first and it's super easy to use.  I use the dowelmax for adding a dowel to finger joints on a piece I build frequently (the domino can't work in this situation). I like that I can use a washer shim on one side of the dowelmax to create a very slightly off set hole that helps holding everything tightly together.  The dowelmax is easy to use and fast compared to other option excluding the domino. 

Now for the domino I have only had it about a month but it is my already my go to.  It is very fast and accurate.  The price had kept me from buying along time ago but my wife got it as a gift for me. I make items to sell and the domino helpse keep prices more attractive by keeping my time down.

Divide breaking strength by cost of tool + material? I'm not a huge fan of festool but it's only based on their cost. I've tried a few products and they worked wonderfully. The domino is the one exception that thing is awesome and some day i hope to own one. As soon as i can save up for it.

My question is, Is it possible to make your own stock for the domino? I realize that it's not going to be recommended, but having a lot of scrap if a person could find the right router bit it'd be somewhat helpful to be able to make your own stock.

Huh yeah did a quick search and it seems that wdwerker mentioned making his own stock a lot. It almost seemed like he saved the comment and copy pasted it because it was identical for about  a years time.

Yeah i agree if it takes you an afternoon to change oil you may be spending more time on it than you need to. Not saying you did it wrong you probably just did it very right and slightly over kill. I can't take my pickup to a shop for an oil change any more. It's no longer stock and trying to convince the lube place to put 20w-50 in my engine is just too much of a battle.

I don't make my own stock to save money. The domino has 3 width settings and several depth settings so I make my own stock for wider and longer tenons than the ones they sell. Plenty of times there isn't enough room for 2 dominos but one seems not enough strength. 

Setting up to make tenon stock takes time so I always run extra. Rip close to size, drum sand ( or plane) to exact size and round the corners on the router table. Cross Cutting on a sled w a stop is tricky. I use a unsharpend pencil eraser down to hold the small piece against the stop. 

I have an old dowel it self centering jig and gave up using it years ago except the rare occasion where a dowel is the only thing that will work.

• Like 1

I don't spend an entire afternoon changing my oil because I take my vehicles to the mechanic to have it done...and no it wouldn't take me an entire afternoon to do it myself if I just got in there and got it done.  The point was that it's way too big of a pain in the ass to save five bucks.

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I don't spend an entire afternoon changing my oil because I take my vehicles to the mechanic to have it done...and no it wouldn't take me an entire afternoon to do it myself if I just got in there and got it done.  The point was that it's way too big of a pain in the ass to save five bucks.

@Eric.  Oil changes here a way too expensive!  A typical economy car (civic, corolla, etc) is well over 60 dollars now.  My wife's car (Yaris) I can do the oil/filter myself for like 18 dollars.  Total hose job.

Now, when it comes to things like transmission fluid, the savings are small.  I bring it to the mechanic for that.  Too messy and not enough savings for my time.

My mechanic does my truck for about $30.  Not sure exactly how much it would be to buy the oil/filter myself but even if it was free it still wouldn't be worth my time to do it.  Life is too short for some things...oil changes and making Dominoes are two of them.  If you were that broke you wouldn't have a car or a Domino in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

Oil changes aren't a good comparison unless oil disposal is free and legal. 

Disposal is both free and legal here, you just have to deliver it to the recycle center.  I normally "save up" my used oil until I have a dozen washer fluid containers full, and then bring it all in.

The issue I have with oil changes is that the places around here, that do it inexpensively enough to bother, do nothing else. So when they strip the drain plug, or forget to tighten the filter, they can't even clean up their own mess. You end up losing your car for a few days, towing fees to take it to a real mechanic, and possibly legal fees trying to get the quick lube place to pay orr their mistake.

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The issue I have with oil changes is that the places around here, that do it inexpensively enough to bother, do nothing else. So when they strip the drain plug, or forget to tighten the filter, they can't even clean up their own mess. You end up losing your car for a few days, towing fees to take it to a real mechanic, and possibly legal fees trying to get the quick lube place to pay orr their mistake.

I take mine to the dealer for oil changes.  They are always sending coupons in the mail so the price is competitive with the quick change places.  Maybe the dealer is $5 or $10 more but for me it is worth the piece of mind.  You do need to be careful, their "55 point inspections" always find $1000 worth of something that needs service and they often suggest services that they already recently performed.   I swear they would flush the radiator, change the brake pads install new cabin filters ever 3000 miles if you let them.  

19 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I take mine to the dealer for oil changes.  They are always sending coupons in the mail so the price is competitive with the quick change places.  Maybe the dealer is $5 or $10 more but for me it is worth the piece of mind.  You do need to be careful, their "55 point inspections" always find $1000 worth of something that needs service and they often suggest services that they already recently performed.   I swear they would flush the radiator, change the brake pads install new cabin filters ever 3000 miles if you let them.  

I take my car to the dealer, they are usually really good at telling me what they should be saying and suggest me to wait because they know all my miles are highway. It was funny they did measure my brake pads and extrapolated out that they will need to be changed at about 150k miles which seemed crazy to me. Shit that reminds me i need to get an oil change. Thanks guys!!

K seriously though is the dowlmax a pretty good jig? It carries a hefty price tag but is it really any better than a self centering dowel jig?