Sign in to follow this  
miranthis

french cleat questions

I am installing a french cleat wall in my work area.  My wall cleats are 2 3/4 tall.  Is there a standard spacing between the cleats?  I have seen so many different versions.....

Jeff in KC

Usually, I think they go the full length of what you are supporting but I guess they can be staggered?

Jeff, if you mean vertical spacing, you just need slightly more than the mating cleat on the hanging item, so it will fit between the wall cleats. Any more than that is totally up to you. If you plan to put 2 3/4" cleats on your hanging items, I'd space the wall cleats to have a 3" gap between them.

As far as vertical spacing goes, most of the french cleat systems I have seen are varied.  My guess is the only "rule" is to make it large enough to fit what you what to store.

I am covering the whole area above my workbench, tool box, and sink with the cleats so I can just make whatever I want to make to hang on there.  Its not a cleat to hang one thing, but a different version of the pegboard wall.  My mistake for not being more specific....tunnel vision of my project.  :-)

Anyway, I figure the biggest thing I will hang is either a plane till with 5 or 6 planes in it, or a cabinet/shelf thing above the sink that will hold some supplies and such.  No worries about the smaller tool holders over the sink side bench, I just don't want to over or under engineer the spacing between rows of cleats.  The wall is pictured below and the marks on the wall are the stud locations and a reference line with that ruler.  Looking at about 4 - 8 inches between cleats at this point, but still deciding.

6192_10207687937543691_7136564606957505711_n.jpg

• Like 1

At one point I had a french cleat tool board similar to what you are doing.  I had 3" bottom cleats with 1 1/2" space between them.  I used 1 1/2" (or just slightly smaller) top cleats and it was just enough space to drop the tool holders in. 

After the shop walls started to fill up I scrapped the "tool board"  and went with cabinets.  The cabinets are still held by french cleats so i can move them around but offer more storage in that space. 

I ended up going with 6.5 inches spacers between the top of one row and the bottom of the next.  My cleats ended up at 2.5 inches, so that gives me 9 inches from tip to tip.  I put 4 rows on yesterday, and will add one more tomorrow.  That should give me room for small cabinet(s) over the sink, tool holders over the small bench top and a till for the planes above the tool box.....and I might have room for some shelves of miscellany above them all.....will post pic once it is done.

Jeff in KC

• Like 1