french cleat questions

miranthis

I am covering the whole area above my workbench, tool box, and sink with the cleats so I can just make whatever I want to make to hang on there.  Its not a cleat to hang one thing, but a different version of the pegboard wall.  My mistake for not being more specific....tunnel vision of my project.  :-)

Anyway, I figure the biggest thing I will hang is either a plane till with 5 or 6 planes in it, or a cabinet/shelf thing above the sink that will hold some supplies and such.  No worries about the smaller tool holders over the sink side bench, I just don't want to over or under engineer the spacing between rows of cleats.  The wall is pictured below and the marks on the wall are the stud locations and a reference line with that ruler.  Looking at about 4 - 8 inches between cleats at this point, but still deciding.

6192_10207687937543691_7136564606957505711_n.jpg

• Like 1

At one point I had a french cleat tool board similar to what you are doing.  I had 3" bottom cleats with 1 1/2" space between them.  I used 1 1/2" (or just slightly smaller) top cleats and it was just enough space to drop the tool holders in. 

After the shop walls started to fill up I scrapped the "tool board"  and went with cabinets.  The cabinets are still held by french cleats so i can move them around but offer more storage in that space. 

I ended up going with 6.5 inches spacers between the top of one row and the bottom of the next.  My cleats ended up at 2.5 inches, so that gives me 9 inches from tip to tip.  I put 4 rows on yesterday, and will add one more tomorrow.  That should give me room for small cabinet(s) over the sink, tool holders over the small bench top and a till for the planes above the tool box.....and I might have room for some shelves of miscellany above them all.....will post pic once it is done.

Jeff in KC

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Why can you not get the answer for beginner questions? I am building a huge work shop in the back yard. I would like to make a French Cleat Wall System. After reading hundreds of U-TUBE questions and answers, I find that those who give information include more than enough information so that I will need a slide rule to get the answer/s for a simple question.

PROS !!!!!! Please remember that those who need answers are not the pros who have been doing this for 40 years.

THIS IS ALL I WANT TO KNOW?????? How many inches do I need from one French Cleat wall board to the next? DO I NEED TO MEASURE FROM TOP TO TOP OR MEASURE THE SPACE BETWEEN THE WALL BOARDS OR DO I JUST MAKE THE WALL BOARDS ALL AT DIFFERENT SPACING/S? 

I would love it if someone could give me the information so I don't waste my time and supplies trying to re-invent the wheel. 

@Dennis Designs, I'm afraid the answer is, 'it depends'. 

If I understand your question correctly, the minimum space needed between the wall-mounted cleats is just a bit more than the width of the mating 'hook' section that is attached to your removable tool holder, cabinet, or what have you.

For example, let's take a 6" wide strip of 3/4" material, and rip it with the saw at 45 degrees. This forms 2 cleat strips that are 3-3/8" on the wide side, and 2-5/8" on the narrow side. I would space the wall strips 3-1/2" apart to allow the mating section to easily slip between.

Dennis, like to many things, it depends on what you want to do with it.

I've recently started putting up a cleat system. (one of the reasons it's so messy). I put 2½" cleats on the wall spaced 6½" apart (bottom to bottom). I thought that it would give me lots of options, but it seems that I have ended up putting things on only a couple of the heights. I'm still working on it and have changed things 3 times this week alone.

Only one main "rule" to follow. If you are putting something fairly heavy or unbalanced on a cleat, make sure that the holder is supported on either another cleat or use a spacer block so that it sits against the wall. This will help make sure that it doesn't pull up and out of the cleat.

One good thing about a cleat system is that you can start with only a couple of "lines" and add more in between if your needs change.

20210725_215533.jpg

• Like 1

There is no standard spacing. Do what ever you think will work for your space. I put these in with 18" separating the cleats as i was going to use it for large objects. I should have done 24" of separation as most of the bottom middle cleat is unusable.

0727210644-01.thumb.jpeg.402352638a0db0d38b7b93b8cfdc0282.jpeg

A single cleat around the top permitier of a shop could be useful. Kind of like picture frame hanging molding.

• Like 1