Shed Recommendations

chrisb

30 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Very Great looking building..I bet wife loves it...I was wondering why the 2by4s are red cooper?

So I wouldn't get them mixed up with the 2x6's! No, seriously, they paint the studs, (91.5" long) I guess to easily tell the difference from the 8' 2x's.

• Like 1

On January 18, 2016 at 0:24 PM, K Cooper said:

So I wouldn't get them mixed up with the 2x6's! No, seriously, they paint the studs, (91.5" long) I guess to easily tell the difference from the 8' 2x's.

Must be a Texas thing, around these parts we know how to read a tape measure ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinF said:

Must be a Texas thing, around these parts we know how to read a tape measure ?

You don't want to stop to measure bunks of pre cuts when you are loading with forks. Also this is for efficiency in a piece rate world of custom builds with no pre fab. This is contractor labeling that goes way beyond Texas. If you have a whole bunk pre cut for walls and you remove the painted end, good cut guys will tag the cuts with a spray can to make it obvious. Mistakes cost money. This parallels taking good notes on projects as you mill and cut. 

1 minute ago, C Shaffer said:

You don't want to stop to measure bunks of pre cuts when you are loading with forks. Also this is for efficiency in a piece rate world of custom builds with no pre fab. This is contractor labeling that goes way beyond Texas. If you have a whole bunk pre cut for walls and you remove the painted end, good cut guys will tag the cuts with a spray can to make it obvious. Mistakes cost money. This parallels taking good notes on projects as you mill and cut. 

Oh, I know why they do it, I just can't resist getting a dig in on coop from time to time?

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, K Cooper said:

My wife wanted me to build her a "craft building" and I considered buyng a prefabbed building, but decided to build one to her/our liking. I had the slab poured in May of last year and finished it, cabinets and all by July.

Building.thumb.jpg.9bc94001eb5e772e84998

During the framing, we got the ridge board up and it looked like a perfect photo op... looked just like a gallows

569d0a52a359f_Building2.thumb.jpg.183ceb

Dead man typing!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2016 at 10:10 AM, chrisb said:

The shed is for non-woodworking stuff.  It will most likely store my lawnmower, bikes, gardening supples (dirt, shovels, etc) and maybe a little wood.

Chris.

I worked for a family owned outfit who moved out here from Nebraska.  The older son was an electrician and marveled at the way we build houses on the left coast.  He claimed that my house would not last one Nebraska winter so, factor that in when I put forward my opinion.

For this kind of storage you don't need to fasten things to a wall.  Free standing shelf units will do for oils, spark plugs, chainsaw files and supplies, twine, a hatchet, some loppers and so forth.  With that in mind, I do not know how they hold up in places that have actual weather but, the plastic one I have through Costco (company name is 'Lifetime' IIRC) went up in a Saturday (not counting prepping the pad).

It has worked flawlessly for many years.  I get blazing SoCal sun, high-octane Automn winds (my gazebo ended up in the neighbors yard one year before I got it fastened down) and of course our torrential single-digit downpours during the blink-and-you'll-miss-it winters we have.

I suppose where you live and your access to builders has a lot to do with whether to buy or build. The contractors in this area (there are dozens including the portable building companies) get such volume discounts that the cost of building yourself is about the same as built to your specs.

A guy I work with added up his cost and then talked to one of the barn builders. $100 difference. He said he wasn't going to work 2 days for $100.

On 1/18/2016 at 9:53 AM, K Cooper said:

My wife wanted me to build her a "craft building" and I considered buyng a prefabbed building, but decided to build one to her/our liking. I had the slab poured in May of last year and finished it, cabinets and all by July.

man i don't know how i missed this one Coop, great work, i built one when we moved about 20 years ago but i cheated and bought trusses, i'm sure she loves it. wired and air conditioned with TV?

• Like 1