Shed Recommendations

chrisb

My big woodworking purchase this year is a shed.  My workshop is currently a single bay of a three bay garage and in addition to my woodworking equipment it also stores yardwork equipment and my kids outdoor toys.

Looking around the internet, there seems to be a wide range to choose from.  In my area, I have choices from the big home stores, costco, and tuff shed.  I am currently looking for a 8 x 10 shed.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I realize that I could get plans and build it myself, but I just don't have the time.

Thanks,

Chris.

I know you said you didn't want to build but 8x10 will take you a weekend to build. I've built 2 from these plans and the 8x12 gable was very simple. The 12x16 barn I have now was some more work but still not bad. When I was pricing building it yourself was about 67% less than buying a Tuff Shed. 

http://backyard3.com/

I built my shed from scratch without plans in a month of Sundays.  I probably didn't save any money over buying a kit but you end up with a much more robust building that will last longer.  Building and setting the trusses was the most challenging part but I knocked that out in an afternoon.

My only advice...build or buy the biggest one your property and budget can handle...they fill up fast.  I built an 8x10 and I wish it was twice as big.  Damn thing is full already...of lumber. :D

17 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I know you said you didn't want to build but 8x10 will take you a weekend to build. I've built 2 from these plans and the 8x12 gable was very simple. The 12x16 barn I have now was some more work but still not bad. When I was pricing building it yourself was about 67% less than buying a Tuff Shed. 

http://backyard3.com/

here's another good example of a backyard shed build:  http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

(reposting this from ages ago - I found it on WTO when I was going through the archive of old shop threads)

I assume you want a shed for the garden tools and toys not a work shop.

In my opinion an 8 x 10 building isn't very large as no matter what, it will fill up fast! I bought a pre-fab barn a few years ago and it is 10 x12 and has an attic of sorts for wood storage. We don't have any children's toys to deal with, just garden tools, two mowers(a push and a rider) a snow blower, step and extension ladders, wood storage and various other items that are not used often. IT IS FULL!

An old adage is "No matter how big the room is, in a year you will wish it was larger". I find this to be VERY true. I recommend that weather you buy a shed or build one, make it as big as you can within your budget. Spending money on something like this is never easy but, it is cheaper than buying twice because the first one didn't work for your needs or fell apart because it wasn't built well enough.

11.30%20AM%20June%204th%20IMG_0361_zps1v

Taken June 2009

Rog

21 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Are you wanting the shed to store the other than woodworking stuff or to move your shop into?

The shed is for non-woodworking stuff.  It will most likely store my lawnmower, bikes, gardening supples (dirt, shovels, etc) and maybe a little wood.

Chris.

One other thing that I would mention.....Square footage.....Of course an 8 x 10 = 80 sq. ft., 10 x 12 = 120 sq. ft. and like Mikes 12 x 16 = 192 sq. ft. BUT, there are also vertical needs to consider.  It is easier to put up shelves or hang shovels on a wooden wall than to build a rack or table in a plastic/vinyl shed and that is something to think about also.

Rog

3 hours ago, Vyrolan said:

FWIW, I vote buy a shed.  As usual the crowd here magically assumes anyone is capable of building one.   Build or buy, the biggest pain is getting permits, inspections, etc depending on where you live. 

If you can build a hardwood picture frame you can build a shed using plans. Now dealing with the county can always be a crapshoot...

2 hours ago, estesbubba said:

If you can build a hardwood picture frame you can build a shed using plans. Now dealing with the county can always be a crapshoot...

What's the base for those shed plans you linked?    Regardless, I doubt my wife wants to wait a year for it to be finished...  Also the materials for a picture frame fit in my small car unlike those for a shed. :P   It would probably take me weeks just to get all the materials moved to the backyard...LOL.

On 1/10/2016 at 10:12 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Also, most that I have seen are very light duty. I'm talking about 2x6 floor joists, wall framing on 24" centers, and roofs that rely on the osb decking to hold them together.

Almost every plan I've seen including the ones Mike linked are roughly those characteristics.   What would it need to be to be a "good" shed?   If I'm going to build the thing, I want it to be worth a damn.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

If you don't need portability, I would go with 2x10 joists on 16" centers, 3/4" plywood subfloor, 2x4 walls on 16" centers (2x6 if it gets cold there), and actual trusses for the roof. I built one like that, except with 2x8 joists, 8' x 12', and it's all good, except the floor sags.

What's the tipping point for 2x4 walls vs 2x6 walls?    Obviously up here we get super cold and plenty of snow.    I'd be doing a barn-style shed with a gambrel roof.   I'm planning a pretty decent size (12' wide by 16' long)...2x10s in the floor and 2x6s for all the rest of the framing seems advisable?

The extra 2" of insulation can make a big difference. Winters here are mild in comparison, we usually have no more than a few days where the high temp stays below freezing. My parent's house has 2x6 walls, with plywood panelling. My house has 2x4 walls with drywall. Their's stays a good bit warmer, until Dad had bypass surgery last year, they heated with a wood stove, almost exclusively. He wasn't able to cut much wood this season, so they are depending more on the propane central unit.

Of course, the OP is just storing stuff, not working in the shed. 2x4 walls should be fine, in that case.

58 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Of course, the OP is just storing stuff, not working in the shed. 2x4 walls should be fine, in that case.

That's my situation too...purely for storage...yard/pool equipment, riding mower, snow blower, etc, etc...loft for wood storage.  But I don't want a big snow to cave the thing in. :P

On January 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Vyrolan said:

That's my situation too...purely for storage...yard/pool equipment, riding mower, snow blower, etc, etc...loft for wood storage.  But I don't want a big snow to cave the thing in. :P

Not very likely with the pitch of a typical shed roof. 2x4 wall framing would be fine. If your storing a lot of wood in the loft you can consider going 12" on center for your loft joists, but I don't think you'd need that kind of weight rating. 

• Like 1