Another Roubo Complete

pkinneb

Thanks for all the nice comments folks!! 

Wdwerker good idea I usually do sign and date my work but didn't think about it on the bench.

nerdbot sure I'll take some in the morning and post them. 

janello I actually turned mine out of Sapele I think the one on the tailvise is just a lighting issue in the pic. Having said that I do have the originals and will post a pic in the morning if you want them they are yours. I am not honestly sure what wood they are but they are definitely lighter which is why I turned my own.

Funny.. because I was looking at your leg vise thinking...hmmm is that cherry?

If you think the other ones are cherry (most likely are) I'd be happy to cover shipping or give you a ups account number to ship collect to. 

By the way- great job turning those knobs. Had me fooled they weren't factory hardware. 

PS. Send them back with Parise. The NJ Devils suck ever since he left for MN Wild.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

janello I actually turned mine out of Sapele I think the one on the tailvise is just a lighting issue in the pic. 

When people ask if I do any wood turning, I often tell them I'm not ready to head down that rabbit hole just yet - an entirely different set of tools, space that I'm already running out of, etc.  But that comment alone almost makes me want to get a small lathe :lol:

16 hours ago, nerdbot said:

Mmmm, sapele accents!  Could I trouble you for some pictures of how you implemented the multi-level gapstop?  I may have to borrow that idea for mine.

nerdbot here are some pics pretty straight forward the deepest dado is centered on the bench in my case about 3 1/2" in from each end and puts the gapstop about 1/16' below the bench top. Slide to the left and you have a 5/8" stop, slide to the right and you have a 3/16" stop easy peasy. By having the stop shorter then the bench I was able to solve two problems; one a trip to the lumber yard as it was the longest board I had left , and two the gap stop is never outside the end of the bench regardless of which position its in.

IMG_0726 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0727 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0728 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0729 (Copy).JPG

16 hours ago, Janello said:

Funny.. because I was looking at your leg vise thinking...hmmm is that cherry?

If you think the other ones are cherry (most likely are) I'd be happy to cover shipping or give you a ups account number to ship collect to. 

By the way- great job turning those knobs. Had me fooled they weren't factory hardware. 

PS. Send them back with Parise. The NJ Devils suck ever since he left for MN Wild.

Janello here are the knobs if you want them just pm your address and I'll drop them in the mail. Unfortunately one is missing and I cannot find it. It fell off the lathe when I was making the replacements and i think it may have been eaten by the dust collector and subsequently burned :o

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Janello here are the knobs if you want them just pm your address and I'll drop them in the mail. Unfortunately one is missing and I cannot find it. It fell off the lathe when I was making the replacements and i think it may have been eaten by the dust collector and subsequently burned :o

That's too funny. I will still take you up on the offer. I have an old craftsman lathe and some dull tooling that someone gave me over the summer. So maybe it's time I dust it off and try my hand at making one for the tail vise. Thanks pal!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(duh, just read your original post and saw you made the legs wider)..:)

How did you handle the front rail (assuming you installed the crisscross)?

I'm about to start on the base in my build and am not crazy about making a thick rail since i don't plan on using the breakdown hardware and was curious how you altered the 'normal' size front rail (looks to be the original thin variety).

Thanks,

Ted

pkinneb,

Re: the drawbored long stretchers, you said you made your legs 1/2" wider.  So that means your leg width (left to right when looking from the "front" view of the bench) is closer to 6"?  And since the crisscross mortise is centered on the leg, that gives you an extra 1/4" for the mortise and tenon (for a total of 1" length) for the long stretcher joint?  Just wanted to double check, since I want to drawbore my long stretchers as well and your way seems easier than the ideas I had.

Nerdbot - My legs are 5 3/4" and the stretcher tenon is 1 5/8" leaving 3/8" between the mortise for the stretcher and the channel for the leg vise. I only did the shorter tenon on the vise leg the others are all 2" long per the plans. I was a little worried when I installed the pegs in that one since the draw bore hole was closer to the end but I had no issues, at least that I am aware of. 

tedfmcm - correct the front and the back rails match (1 3/4") except the tenon length on the vise leg as discussed above is only 1 5/8" long instead of 2".

***One note make sure if you widen your legs that you shorten the stretchers so that your base fits between your dog holes properly, ask me how I know :( ***

Its kinda hard to tell in this picture but the dog hole to the left of the vise leg is a whole lot shorter then the others...had I cut 3/4" off the over stretcher length this would not have been an issue.

IMG_0657.JPG

On 4/26/2016 at 1:41 PM, bob493 said:

Another stunning example of a desk I truly want.

Thanks Bob! These things can get a little over the top but after working with wood for 35 years I finally have a real working bench and I love it. I did treat it like a furniture build but truth be told my whole shop is a bit that way and yes it is fancier then my office desk but...  

40 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nerdbot - My legs are 5 3/4" and the stretcher tenon is 1 5/8" leaving 3/8" between the mortise for the stretcher and the channel for the leg vise. I only did the shorter tenon on the vise leg the others are all 2" long per the plans. I was a little worried when I installed the pegs in that one since the draw bore hole was closer to the end but I had no issues, at least that I am aware of. 

tedfmcm - correct the front and the back rails match (1 3/4") except the tenon length on the vise leg as discussed above is only 1 5/8" long instead of 2".

***One note make sure if you widen your legs that you shorten the stretchers so that your base fits between your dog holes properly, ask me how I know :( ***

Its kinda hard to tell in this picture but the dog hole to the left of the vise leg is a whole lot shorter then the others...had I cut 3/4" off the over stretcher length this would not have been an issue.

Oh, I think I get it now.  You modified the guild build SketchUp plans to accomodate the crisscross mortise by widening the leg slightly and a slightly shortened tenon on the leg vise side vs modifying the current Benchcrafted plans which have the 3/4" tenons on the front stretcher and barrel nuts.

9 minutes ago, nerdbot said:

Oh, I think I get it now.  You modified the guild build SketchUp plans to accomodate the crisscross mortise by widening the leg slightly and a slightly shortened tenon on the leg vise side vs modifying the current Benchcrafted plans which have the 3/4" tenons on the front stretcher and barrel nuts.

You know I was using both so not sure if I did that or just modified the rear rail off the BC plans for the front but regardless you will get to the same end spot.