Incredible find of Coco Slabs

wnaziri

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yeah I agree...ultimately who cares what they are if you love the wood and you don't mind the price.  Bocote is appx. 3/4 the price of coco but they're both expensive.  It would be nice to know what you're getting and getting what you're paying for though...

That makes me even more suspicious.  You know where bocote comes from right?

Bocote is from Mehico, right?

Now, if there is concern that these slabs "could" something other than coco, how can I make sure that it is coco?  

When I saw it in person, I was convinced it was coco.

1 minute ago, jussi said:

I vote roubo workbench :rolleyes:

beautiful pieces.  Curious to see what they eventually turn into.  Are they completely dry already?

How about some band saw boxes and pens perhaps?  :rolleyes:

I would put myself in prison if I did that to these slabs.

Forget looking at color actually.. because both bocote and cocobolo can be red to brown and in-between.

What I've never seen cocobolo do (as much) is change grain direction like a tornado. It does it to some degree, but that's highly indicative of bocote. 

I vote no for a table top! Please don't do that...It's too busy for a large table. Besides it begs for fine furniture, not where you eat your slop.

I'd lean toward dining table if it's for you.  Hall / Sofa table is if you want to recoup your costs.  I'd probably try to sell off one of them in a finished piece to help offset the cost, and then keep the rest.  Though, I'd just end up buying more once I sold the first.....it's a vicious cycle.  

Beautiful find, especially if it doesn't generate too much wife aggro.  Even if it did, might be worth the fight.

I vote for Cocobolo.

To me Bocote has much more of a yellow hue. Black and yellow grain, not red/cream like those pics.

Beautiful slabs, whatever the species.

That tree must have had some serious gnarl, or branches coming out all over the trunk.

2 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I gargled both and saw that gnarly swirling circular grain on half a dozen examples of both.  

Show me an example where cocobolo swirls "and changes direction" as much as his slab. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's a dead give away to bocote.

4 minutes ago, davewyo said:

To me Bocote has much more of a yellow hue. Black and yellow grain, not red/cream like those pics.

Don't forget those slabs are wet.

I gargled both and saw that gnarly swirling circular grain on half a dozen examples of both.  

Show me an example where cocobolo swirls "and changes direction" as much as his slab. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's a dead give away to bocote.

Don't forget those slabs are wet.

All of these are tagged as cocobolo

88d752b777f9130934e5ea20165734cf.jpg051095996d2620627b0cd43d4170838a.jpg8ad949d711d4e38c977e3409834f04f8.jpg

97b5ae4cab9465e0efd6842b9002bfb8.jpg

a940f66aadf43a68358d784839552e9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Janello said:

Yup, it's bocote. It's a no brainer. Seriously, look at the grain in all of your pics brendon, none look like his slab. Eric has 3 dead ringers.

Bro I'm not arguing that it IS cocobolo but every one of those pics I posted all are dramatically different. It's not a leap for me to think coco could do that. .

I'm actually leaning on the bocote side but I don't think it's "a no brainer". Those pieces show characteristics i am used to seeing of both. 

And yeah,  those three dead ringers, are the op's picture pulled from this thread and cropped.

Well, I'm no expert so I am taking all this in and learning a lot.  However, I'm going to go with the determination of the person who buys lumber for living and sells his goods all over the world.  He could be wrong but I would not bet against him yet.  I will bring this matter up with him tomorrow and see what he says  

In the meantime, I will not turn these slabs down if I find out they are bocote. 

4 minutes ago, Janello said:

I'm just messing with you because you pulled the bro card... I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. 

I'm in California. . . The bro card is just conversational.   Didn't know people only use it when their panties are too tight.

• Like 1

I thought it was some light looking coco when I first saw the pic but I've seen a lot of variations in it, until the second close up pic had me wondering.  I've never worked with bocote before but I would assume you could just smell it, coco has a pretty distinct smell since it's a rosewood.  Either way it's some awesome wood, I'd buy it but would make sure I wasn't paying more than I should.

1 hour ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

but I would assume you could just smell it, coco has a pretty distinct smell since it's a rosewood.

That would probably be the best way to positively ID the stuff.  Slice into an inconspicuous area, and if it has that unmistakable peppery perfumey smell...

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

That would probably be the best way to positively ID the stuff.  Slice into an inconspicuous area, and if it has that unmistakable peppery perfumey smell...

And depending on if you're unfortunate and allergic to the stuff, might break out in a rash, throat swell up, etc haha, luckily I'm not.  Have turned it before and always scared I might have an allergic reaction like i know a lot of people have had.