Incredible find of Coco Slabs

wnaziri

26 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

Now I have to come up with a design(s) that does justice to these slabs.

And a second mortgage on the house. .

Awesome slabs. They are quite beautiful. I can't believe they look that good off of the saw,  imagine once their actually planed down with some finish. 

There is something on them. You can see it dripping down the sides of the boards. That still doesn't change the fact that they are absolutely stunning. Nice find my friend I'm SUPER jealous.

Someday maybe i'll have enough skill to justify beautiful wood currently i still just feel like an axe murderer, where my prey is lumber.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

There is something on them. You can see it dripping down the sides of the boards. That still doesn't change the fact that they are absolutely stunning. Nice find my friend I'm SUPER jealous.

Someday maybe i'll have enough skill to justify beautiful wood currently i still just feel like an axe murderer, where my prey is lumber.

He wet them with something to show off the beauty of the boards. Those are some sweet boards.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Looks like 3 really high end sofa or hall tables to me. Bases should be sculptural flowing and graceful with the slab perched on top.

Love the idea, especially the sculpted bases! 

6 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Amazing wood. Care to share with us what you paid per board inch?

We have not yet settled on the final price.

I am having dinner with the mill owner tomorrow.  I will buy him a few beers first and then will discuss the price.:D  

When talking to one of his employees yesterday, they were planning on putting a price tag on the the three boards together a bit north of $3k.

Having said all that, I must admit that I have never seen such pretty slabs before.  

23 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

When talking to one of his employees yesterday, they were planning on putting a priced tag on the the three boards together a bit north of $3k.

I know that is a big number but it sounds about fair to me.  With cocobolo going at $40-50/bf and giving it a premium for the big unusual. . The right buyer could pay for all of them in one piece of furniture. From one board. 

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

What Steve said is the correct build.......  There's a site called "custommade" that gets high dollar for less beautiful looking tables than that wood .  Check them out, unless you already have an outlet!

I do have an outlet for these boards: my house.:)  

I am not a professional furniture maker so anything I build with these slabs will end up in our house.  If someone makes an offer after I am done (it would have to be one heck of an offer)l, I would consider it but I am not thinking in those terms.  I showed the slabs to my wife and she is voting in favor of a dining room table.  I am not sure I want to use all three slabs for just one piece of furniture.  I really like Steve's suggestion very much.

2 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I know that is a big number but it sounds about fair to me.  With cocobolo going at $40-50/bf and giving it a premium for the big unusual. . The right buyer could pay for all of them in one piece of furniture. From one board. 

I can honestly say that I was not alarmed or surprised when the 3k number was thrown out. 

I have seen slabs of less quality and beauty for more.

17 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Where in NC is this miller?  I've never seen slabs anything like those in person.

The mill I toured is in FL.  I live in NC but have the week off and I am spending it on the west coast of FL.

When I first met him, he had a "lumber store" in NY.  20 years later, he has mills in Brazil, CA, FL, NC, and NY.

One interesting fact I learned yesterday while touring his facilities, the state of FL has Indian Rosewood and Australian Pine (which is actually a very dense hardwood) that are considered invasive species.  These species along with live oak, monkey pod are felled routinely and wasted by turning them to mulch or whatever.  He now gets the big trunks from the city and local developers and mills them into usable lumber.  They are actually quite gorgeous and not too expensive to boot.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Those are beauties...but are you sure they're cocobolo?  They look a whole lot more like bocote than cocobolo to me.  You might wanna make sure before you drop 3k on them.

I wondered the same thing until I saw the two sapwood areas inward on the left side. They look exactly like every cocobolo piece I've seen with sapwood in it. That is not definitive at all but I believe it

This is why we keep Eric around. Now that he said that, I totally agree. Cocobolo can be a real chameleon some times but you will almost always see hints of red. And....that screams bocote. Having said that, it's still some amazing looking wood and bocote fetches just as much I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Those are beauties...but are you sure they're cocobolo?  They look a whole lot more like bocote than cocobolo to me.  You might wanna make sure before you drop 3k on them.

That is a good question but I am pretty certain it is coco.  

The owner bought a boatload of coco from Mexico and has a whole corner of one of the warehouse with stacked trunks waiting to be milled.  These slabs came from one of the biggest trunks they had.  Most of the lumber will not be milled into slabs.  Those pics were taken with an Android phone (yuk:D) so I am not sure it does the slabs justice.

1 minute ago, Brendon_t said:

I wondered the same thing until I saw the two sapwood areas inward on the left side. They look exactly like every cocobolo piece I've seen with sapwood in it. That is not definitive at all but I believe it

Bocote has that creamy white sapwood too.  I betcha that's bocote.

5 minutes ago, Janello said:

This is why we keep Eric around. Now that he said that, I totally agree. Cocobolo can be a real chameleon some times but you will almost always see hints of red. And....that screams bocote. Having said that, it's still some amazing looking wood and bocote fetches just as much I think.

Yeah I agree...ultimately who cares what they are if you love the wood and you don't mind the price.  Bocote is appx. 3/4 the price of coco but they're both expensive.  It would be nice to know what you're getting and getting what you're paying for though...

3 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

The owner bought a boatload of coco from Mexico

That makes me even more suspicious.  You know where bocote comes from right?

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Bocote has that creamy white sapwood too.  I betcha that's bocote.

Here is my only other pic.  See if this helps.  By the way, in life, these slabs have a lot of red.  I am used to seeing more of the deep brown in coco but these are dress cut and have lost of red.Coco.thumb.JPG.7c249fe02a556880a4ff8ebe2