Incredible find of Coco Slabs

wnaziri

14 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I showed these pics to my local wood expert and he seems to think dyed ambrosia syp.

Hahahahahahah:P

Reminds me: I was showing a friend a solid walnut cabinet I have been working on.  It is nearly finished and it is looking really nice after a few coats of Waterlox, with all the vibrant colors of air-dried walnut showing through.  

My friend, who tells me he likes woodworking, asks me with all seriousness: "What stain did you use?"    Oy vey.

4 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

Hahahahahahah:P

Reminds me: I was showing a friend a solid walnut cabinet I have been working on.  It is nearly finished and it is looking really nice after a few coats of Waterlox, with all the vibrant colors of air-dried walnut showing through.  

My friend, who tells me he likes woodworking, asks me with all seriousness: "What stain did you use?"    Oy vey.

Yeah it happens. Can't really blame them though.  Every TV show with "woodworking" now is either distressing otherwise nice looking wood or reclaimed pallet crap..

Hey guys, I know I never really post here. But I can tell you, that IS Cocobolo. I have resawn ALOT of that stuff in the last year for guitar backs and sides. Some of it can be really straight grain, bright orange (which actually darkens to a deeper orange in about 2-3 weeks when it's exposed to air) and I've seen plenty of it with the swirling grain patter. That is what most guitar nuts want right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JBag09 said:

Hey guys, I know I never really post here. But I can tell you, that IS Cocobolo. I have resawn ALOT of that stuff in the last year for guitar backs and sides. Some of it can be really straight grain, bright orange (which actually darkens to a deeper orange in about 2-3 weeks when it's exposed to air) and I've seen plenty of it with the swirling grain patter. That is what most guitar nuts want right now.

Do you happen to have any pictures to share?

Do you happen to have any pictures to share?

And of coarse this comes up on a holiday weekend. I can get some pictures of when I get back Tuesday. I'll let you know.

I had dinner with my friend and learned a bit more about the slabs in question and lumber in general.

- The slabs are definitely cocobolo.  The source of the log was Nicaragua, not Mexico.  Mexico discontinued export of coco.  Nearly all of the coco harvested in Mexico last few years was bought up by Chinese companies.  I don't know if he was kidding but he said the coco was destined to becoming expensive chopsticks.

- He does have some bocote slabs in his inventory.  They have more brown and black compared to the red/orange/browns of coco.

- These slabs will be vacuum dried and then shipped to me.  When I get them, I will take pics with my DSLR to hopefully do justice to their beauty.

• Like 1

On March 26, 2016 at 0:42 AM, Llama said:

Looking forward to the updated pics on the bacote. 

I made it back to the lumber yard today and took the following pic of Bocote and Cocobolo side by side:

Coco-Bocote.jpg

After seeing these two side by side, I no longer doubt that my slabs are in fact cocobolo.

While there, I spent more money (of course) and bought a box of short pieces of coco that will be used for turning some handles for my chisels & screw drivers, small boxes, small bowls, etc.  They were kind enough to sell me about 10 bf of coco for $15 per BF. 

Yeah those two pieces side by side make it fairly obvious...but the first slabs you posted on their own look more like bocote to me.  But I certainly take your word for it and have no reason to think your guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

So all that's left to say now is congratulations and I hate you.  They should be mine.  All mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah those two pieces side by side make it fairly obvious...but the first slabs you posted on their own look more like bocote to me.  But I certainly take your word for it and have no reason to think your guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

So all that's left to say now is congratulations and I hate you.  They should be mine.  All mine.

All three slabs can be yours......for the right price!

PM me after you meet with your accountant.:D

Hey guys, got to some of what I had cut a few months ago. Not the most swirling grain, but it's darker. All came from the same board, but you can see the pieces on the right do have a little more orange to them. They were closer to the top. I talked to one of the other guys about some stuff we have matched, quite the color variations .

3db8d4c8192bdd3f2c29748afb7d77c1.jpg

a4dbe33e93a6c5c3abb0bc00ae48b097.jpg88e5c03cb1c07ba63b35197d643749d7.jpg36aa688bb410aaee3054ef8bf194de38.jpg

• Like 1