Basic Tool Chest

shaneymack

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Let's not get crazy here guys, I've dovetailed 4 boards together and done three dados since Saturday! Are you guys pulling my leg? Why does it seem like I'm going so fast?

Because today's Tuesday?

Took me about four months to do that on these chests. LOL

• Like 1

Let's not get crazy here guys, I've dovetailed 4 boards together and done three dados since Saturday! Are you guys pulling my leg? Why does it seem like I'm going so fast?

Because today's Tuesday?

Took me about four months to do that on these chests. LOL

Haha! Alright, if you put it that way.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I thought we came to the conclusion earlier that Shaney is buying all his stuff and his tools are just for show. This is just him putting it together. :D

Damn dude though this is looking really nice. Your shop furniture is nicer than my house furniture.

• Like 1

I thought we came to the conclusion earlier that Shaney is buying all his stuff and his tools are just for show. This is just him putting it together.

Damn dude though this is looking really nice. Your shop furniture is nicer than my house furniture.

Thanks Chestnut !

10 hours ago, TIODS said:

Ah, but the longer you drag that out the more time you're away from finishing the basement. ;)

True! :D

10 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Yea, but part of that time you were pretending like you needed a new jointer

True! :D

47 minutes ago, TIODS said:

You shocked me today!  I saw your post and expected it to be finished! ;)

Nice job bud!

HAHA ! No not quite but its coming along. Thanks Kev !

42 minutes ago, Janello said:

lol kev.

Hey Shaney, looking awesome ! Are the drawers getting a felt treatment? 

BTW Your track with the OF2200 is dreamy. :wub:

Thanks John ! No felt for the drawers. Wood on wood action....with a little wax.

The off2200 IS dreamy !! Blows my mind every time I use it. 

34 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Nice work Shane.  You put enough detail in you journals that a person could take them a build there own project.  Keep it coming

Thanks Chet !

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm confused...why do the web frames sit so far back from the front of the case?

Looks great so far.  Clean work as usual.

The drawers sit back the distance of the brass pulls+ clearance+ room for the 3/4" lid. All that together will give me a 1/8" reveal from lid to front of chest. The lid will be 3 raised panels in a frame with two pins at the bottom and a full mortise lock at the top. The small space you see above the top frame is to slide the lid into when the chest is in use. 

• Like 2

Ok - I always thought of Canadians as laid back, beer drinking, moose loving folks with maple syrup in their veins.

Shane - you're blazing through this build at a pace that makes me think you lot might be manic, quad-shot-espresso drinking, busy-beaver loving folks with nitrous in your veins.

The tool chest is of course looking great :)

• Like 1

Ok - I always thought of Canadians as laid back, beer drinking, moose loving folks with maple syrup in their veins.

Shane - you're blazing through this build at a pace that makes me think you lot might be manic, quad-shot-espresso drinking, busy-beaver loving folks with nitrous in your veins.

The tool chest is of course looking great

Haha! Thanks! No I'm not super laid back. If i leave a pencil on my outfeed table and have to walk 4 feet to get it im annoyed that i lost productivity. Thats why i wear an apron with all my main tools in it. Im broken man what can i say ! Lol

I'm really digging this box, Shane! The design is ine I may have to steal at some point, and you have been incredibly helpful in providing instructions on how to do so.

Glad you aren't my banker ....

Thanks Ross! I don't understand the banker comment....

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Haha! Thanks! No I'm not super laid back. If i leave a pencil on my outfeed table and have to walk 4 feet to get it im annoyed that i lost productivity. Thats why i wear an apron with all my main tools in it. Im broken man what can i say ! Lol

Have any good advice on an apron? My family keeps bugging me about gifts that sounds like something that would be a good gift.

Have any good advice on an apron? My family keeps bugging me about gifts that sounds like something that would be a good gift.

For years and years i had the old beige lee valley one. It got so caked in glue it was time for a change. So naturally, I bought the festool one because it came in a mini systainer. Now this goes against eveything inside me to say but I believe there is a better apron out there! Lol. I will be changing it for the newer veritas one. The festool one has all open pockets and im sick of cleaning the sawdust out of them. I have my control for my dust collection in there and my ear protection and I hate having both always full of dust.

So the important things to look for are that there are atleast some closed pockets and that the shoulder straps criss cross and join the waist strap so all the weight isnt always on your neck.

For years and years i had the old beige lee valley one. It got so caked in glue it was time for a change. So naturally, I bought the festool one because it came in a mini systainer. Now this goes against eveything inside me to say but I believe there is a better apron out there! Lol. I will be changing it for the newer veritas one. The festool one has all open pockets and im sick of cleaning the sawdust out of them. I have my control for my dust collection in there and my ear protection and I hate having both always full of dust.

So the important things to look for are that there are atleast some closed pockets and that the shoulder straps criss cross and join the waist strap so all the weight isnt always on your neck.

45 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I'm gathering 2 things from this.
1. Festool dust collection is poor enough that your pockets are filling with sawdust.
2. Festool made an inferior product.

I'm shocked i feel like we need to take you out back for 50 lashes for blasphemy. :D

• Like 2