Basic Tool Chest

shaneymack

Shane, The drawers look great. We visited some friends over the weekend and a neighbor of theirs is building a $1m plus house with some fine woodworking throughout. Huge exposed beams, secured with pegs, knotty alder kitchen cabinets but the drawers were ply butt joints, secured with pin nails.

Shane, The drawers look great. We visited some friends over the weekend and a neighbor of theirs is building a $1m plus house with some fine woodworking throughout. Huge exposed beams, secured with pegs, knotty alder kitchen cabinets but the drawers were ply butt joints, secured with pin nails.

Thats a shame. Those drawers will be coming apart pretty quickly !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shane uses a calendar similar to measuring dogs lifetime.  1 month = 2 years.  All kidding aside it looks fantastic!

Lol. I have been looking past this project since it started for some reason. I guess it doesn't help that I did a couple other little projects during this one thats why it seems longer.

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

but the drawers were ply butt joints, secured with pin nails.

My brother in law is a home designer does nothing but high end homes and he talks quit a bit about clients that do stuff like this al the time.  They have to have there marble, glass and gold bathrooms with custom made auto flush toilets but to make up for it they cut corners in cabinetry.

17 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Looks great as always. I really enjoy following your builds. Gives me inspiration to do more and do better. I also have to start working faster. Man you get a lot done in a short amount of time!!!

Thanks Alan, much appreciated. That pace is from being a tradesman. Twenty-three years old fresh out of Carpentry school, I started framing houses as an apprentice. I learned very quickly that there is only one speed that was accepted- VERY VERY FAST. I would get yelled at if i dropped my measuring tape and stopped to pick it up. Also the boss wasnt very happy if we made a mistake, to say the least. This boss probably sounds like a jerk BUT he was an incredible carpenter, and tough as nails. NOTHING stopped this guy. NOTHING! And we were expected to be the same. He would be on a 14/12 roof installing plywood in -30c in a snow storm. He was walking on the foundation walls one day and lost his balance and fell in the basement. He finished the entire work day and showed up the next day in a cast. This guy was a beast and had a lot of traits that i really admired and learned from. So i spent a large part of my 6000 hour apprenticeship working under this guy. All to say that I learned to work with tools very fast and accurately and I guess that just got applied to the shop eventually. 

13 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Only you would have "Green" drawer pulls?. Great job dude!

HAHA !! Good one Coop ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, treeslayer said:

looks fantastic Shane, woodworking from a guy who is at the top of his game, well done, and i learned a lot about how to do a journal the right way, thanks

Thanks Dave!

I just take pictures as I go of things that I would like to see if I were reading someone else's journal. I love seeing how people do things and all the steps involved. I have a really hard time understanding steps if I just read them, i'm a very visual person. That's why I take lots of pictures, I figure its easier for folks to follow along that way. I also hope it is useful to someone someday as others peoples journals have been for me. 

• Like 1

What everyone else said; it is all incredible. Do you use a granite slab as an assembly table top? That has to be brilliant. Glue comes right off it, right? I probably have about $30 in titebond III dried to the markerboard surface covering my assembly table. 

• Like 1

What everyone else said; it is all incredible. Do you use a granite slab as an assembly table top? That has to be brilliant. Glue comes right off it, right? I probably have about $30 in titebond III dried to the markerboard surface covering my assembly table. 

Thank you! My outfeed /assembly table is an mdf torsion box with the same black laminate as the Sawstop. I'm a nerd like that.....