Anyone know paint and primer?

Cliff

4 hours ago, Mike. said:

You have to have the right personality to make our financial system work.  My wife and I are both pretty independent and not control freaks.  For example I have been on business in Canada all week.  Toronto, calgary, edmonton and en route to Vancouver as we speak.  We talk once a day for a few minutes.   Some of my colleagues are constantly on the phone with their wives getting involved in every tiny decision or tracking each others every action.    I couldn't live that way.     

I think I am fortunate or blessed. I do a huge amount of discretionary and she does not complain. I do consult for stuff that impacts us both. It helps that we have super solid salaries and secondary incomes. As long as we can handle the discretionary from the secondary then we have no issue with our zero based budget with our salaries. The upside to woodworking is that you can plan certain tool purchases with high resale value. This makes some change down the road easier. 

The system I got with my wife is I pay all of my bills and all of hers. Then I spend what is leftover. She buys food from her check and other little things. So she just tells me "I need $xxx" and thats what I give her. Then we watch the amazon purchases pile up on the porch for me. 

The one downside is my wife doesn't really get to spend much on herself. So I spend excessively when I buy her gifts. 

Any side money from software development I get is blown instantly and obscenely.

• Like 1

I don't have Festool anything, but I do use one of these on old plaster walls.  I use a Shop Vac with a yellow bag in it, and it works great.  Get the coarsest sanding screens you can-I forget if it's 60 or 80 grit.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7800-Drywall-Sander-13-Foot/dp/B00002267Z/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1460079989&sr=1-1&keywords=porter-cable+drywall+sander

This picture shows the start of using it on some 200 year old plaster walls.  There was graffiti painted all over the walls.  Right here is said, "Frank sucks", so when I sent the owners this picture, the pic was named, "Frank doesn't suck any more".

frankdoesn_tsuckanymore.JPG

• Like 1

I've fixed cracks in plaster walls and after a year or two they always come back. Is there a way to fix cracks in plaster so they don't do that @Tom King? The house I'm in looked like there were ant hills all over the walls where previous owners continued to build up crack fixes and they always just kept coming back.

The cracks have to be dug out all the way to expose enough of the lath for new basecoat to have something it key into.  If they are just scratched out, they will always come back.  Finish coat plaster has little strength against cracking unless there is a good base under it.

The plasterers the fixed our place put new calboard on the ceilings and coated the walls with a binder. They used mesh tape over the cracks and then put two coats of plaster. That was at least 7-8 years ago and none of the cracks have reappeared. There was everything from hairline cracks to 1/4'' gaps.

On 4/5/2016 at 7:13 AM, Mike. said:

Zinsser BIN is my go to primer.  It is a pigmented shellac.  Like clear shellac, it sticks to everything and everything sticks to it.   it also dries super fast.   The only challenge is it is pretty thin so you need to be careful to avoid splatter.   Don't overload the roller.   

The Zinsser line is a little confusing.  The make an oil based, latex and shellac based primer and you need to read the fine print to know what you are getting.  When people generically say "zinsser" I think they are referring to the shellac based product because that is what they are known for.  

Going to try the Zinsser BIN. We taped the walls to paint the cabinets, when we pulled the tape off it tore the primer and triple thick peel stop off too. So today/tonight we'll scrap all that off and start with this shellac thing. Thanks for the suggestion.