Let's See What You Got!

Sadly, I don't receive woodworking-related gifts anymore. Once those purchases become "business expenses", it sort of took the fun out of it. But I know many of you had various woodworking goodies on your lists. So lets see what you got! Post some pictures of your holiday loot! And of course, I realize the holiday is really about non-material things, but let's put that aside for a minute and show off the goods! I want to live vicariously through you guys! :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nada! Not even a lump of coal!! We just buy stuff as we go. I DO have some "Christmas presents" coming up. Oh... I gave myself a Drift Master and Resaw King a month or more ago. They're still unpacked. I should wrap them and get 'em under the tree from Santa!!

Starrett 12" combo square and a fastcap 16" flatback tape measure.

This Starrett is over the top unbelievable. I finally feel like I've got an honest to God "can't get better than this" tool. I threw out my P.O.S. plastic square when I got my Harbor Freight square... I thought the HF was pretty great compared to the Stanley... this thing makes it look like a toy!

The FlatBack is killer... soooo easy to read... the flat back aspect is killer as long as you're not using it as a job site measure. Plus it has a pencil sharpener... didn't even realize that when I put it on my wishlist.

My wife did great!

post-1863-0-11001500-1293303494_thumb.jp

Does it count if I purchased it for myself?

Haven't gone to the parents yet, so I'm still (not really) holding out some hope.

But this year, under the tree is a Porter Cable ROS, and in the basement (waiting on lumber and space) is my DW 735. (So it took a while to get out of layaway. I've been on cloud 3 since I brought it home. I'll be on cloud 9 once I plug it in, use it, and don't blow the circuits.)

and the store gave me the option of a mobile stand for the planer, or a set of replacement knives. Not having a truck, and the planer sitting in the front seat and no room in the back, I chose the knives.

Thankfully? I did not receive anything shop related for Christmas. My better half knows well enough not to buy me a tool without first checking with me which really takes the surprise out of things. She made me a custom photo/scrap album using all the pictures from our many exploits over the last year. It was one of the greatest presents I ever received unless you include the shadow box she made me last year. I guess I can say I'm pretty lucky that was but tell you what, that nice Baily No.4 bench plane I (uh.. Santa) got me last week looked mighty nice sitting under the tree. ;o)

Starrett 12" combo square and a fastcap 16" flatback tape measure.

This Starrett is over the top unbelievable. I finally feel like I've got an honest to God "can't get better than this" tool. I threw out my P.O.S. plastic square when I got my Harbor Freight square... I thought the HF was pretty great compared to the Stanley... this thing makes it look like a toy!

The FlatBack is killer... soooo easy to read... the flat back aspect is killer as long as you're not using it as a job site measure. Plus it has a pencil sharpener... didn't even realize that when I put it on my wishlist.

My wife did great!

post-1863-0-11001500-1293303494_thumb.jp

I use Starrett tools at work and they are second to none.

They will also improve your work as well.

Good choice.

My wonderful wife took notice while I was setting up my shop that I could never find the right socket or wrench. You see, my mechanical tools were a hodge podge and never organized. She got me a Crafsman mega kit (hundreds of pieces or something) with a fitted, Systainer-like, plastic case with drawers. I'm not a Craftsman fan but their hand tools are a welcome addition right now. It wasn't on my list but it turned out to be what i needed most. Thanks baby!!!

Merry Christmas to all. Two things my family has learned not to buy unspecified are tools and golf equipment. Happy to get some gift cards.

My "buy for me" present this year was a complete DeWalt TrackSaw set-up. Got some great pricing that help me avoid the green kool-aid. (NTTAWWT). Looking forward to re-building my garage space into a working shop.

Nothing. My wife and I decided long time ago not to buy gifts since we have everything we need. Just a wonderful kiss, romantic time and the stress of preparing the house for our guests. I am ... as an Argentinean ... of course on the grill.

My favorite Xmas involved friends and family ... memories.

Management works her fanny off getting the house decoratedfor christman. There isn't a room in the place that dosen't look like a department store window. She is the prime mover for both Hanukkah and Christmas. I actually recieved a group of Easy Outs for screws, bolts and nuts. Also gift card for Lowes and one for Woodcraft. Descisons, descisons............

Veritas dovetail saw (14 tpi) and as SonicFedora I also opened a package with a Starrett 12-inch combo square.

Opened gifts Christmas eve. So today I could devote to training the Veritas saw to cut straight and perpendicular when appropiate.

And at driver-selected angle upon command.

It is a bit of a slow learner, but I'll keep on it.

Christmas here was mostly wood creations from me and yarn creations from my daughter and wife (who was smart enough to hack into my Veritas Wish List).

I love my hacker babe.