Let's See What You Got!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-1560-0-50302900-1293338035_thumb.jp

Some great additions to the workshop this year!

-Rockler swivel shop stool

-Irwin 6pc blue chip chisel set

-Crown tools Tri-Square

-Card Scraper

-DeWalt 18v drill

-More bench cookies and another 16' fat max because you can never have enough.

-and a brand new Porter Cable brad nailer!

Also pictured is a sneak peek at the maple face frame cabinets with full extension drawers that I've been working on.

They're almost ready for finishing and install.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Enjoy spending time with your family and some extra time in the shop.

-RB

Put me in the Starrett square club with SonicFedora. I've had their 12" combo for a couple of years now, and I'm still amazed how much difference it makes. This year LOML got me the little 4" double square. It screams "quality" just like its big brother, and I think it's going to be really handy.

-- Russ

post-685-0-42731500-1293343140_thumb.jpg

Harbor freight 2hp dust collector! It sitting in the living room assembled. I ran it and was suprised at how loud it was. The Winn canister is already ordered. Im impressed at how well this thing was packed and it seems to be pretty decent quality. Im happy!!!!

omg, I really laughed out loud on that. I couldn't imagine putting it together like a big-kid Erector set then actually powering it up. Have you counted the children to make sure one did go in the pipe before you knew it?!

Ah, someone finally discovered something that demands even more accessories than a lathe! Mazal tov.

biggrin.gif

My wife hit a GRAND SLAM this year! i couldn't be happier with what she got me! first off, she got me a Wood Whisperer t shirt. i'll rock that thing like there's no tomorrow. and for my big gift, she gave me the gift of safety! she bought me a SawStop contractor's saw with the cast iron extension wings and the 36" upgraded T-glide fence system! im so excited i don't know what to do! she's the best!

sawstop.jpg

Kids went in together and surprised me with $300 in Woodcraft gift cards. Which is great since I have a store less than 5 minutes away. My lovely wife gave me a Veritas Skew Block plane, a 50” aluminum straightedge from Highland Woodworking, Ten12 inch clamps from Garrett Wade (awesome deal going on right now – under $50), and a honing jig. I am very blessed!!

Actually, I DID receive some lumps of coal!

Let me explain...

I make all of my own finishes and I needed some black pigment for a milk paint recipe.

A friend sent me some genuine Kentucky anthracite from the Coal Miners Museum in Eastern Kentucky. Also, I've been using chips of the coal, mixed with brass shavings, to do crushed stone inlays with CA glue.

Who needs toys when you've got a lump of coal? ;)

We give together. My wife got an itouch, and I got a small 15" screen laptop. Now I can keep up with what's going on in here while my wife is on the larger laptop. Its great, I sit here with my headphones on listening to the pod casts, and be in the chat room more often.

The best gift was my wife's reaction (and continued reaction) to the butcher block table that I built for her.

As for tools, etc., I gave my wife a rather specific list, so there weren't any big surprises...

Trim router

1/4 sheet sander

New shop vac

Rockler branding iron kit

#5 jack plane

And a $50 HD gift card from my wife's mom.

Oh, and my nephew got me a cordless shop light.

Actually, I DID receive some lumps of coal!

Let me explain...

I make all of my own finishes and I needed some black pigment for a milk paint recipe.

A friend sent me some genuine Kentucky anthracite from the Coal Miners Museum in Eastern Kentucky. Also, I've been using chips of the coal, mixed with brass shavings, to do crushed stone inlays with CA glue.

Oooh, that sounds very interesting with the brass shavings and glue. You mean real shavings and not filings, correct? I did some brass work for my mom's gift table and kept most of the brass filings thinking maybe they'd add something to a project, but then threw them away thinking I was nuts. I used to have a piece of real coal straight from the mines around here, too. Now you have me thinking... would love to see a picture of those inlays!

That's pretty interesting. Any chance you'd be willing to part with a recipe or two? I bought an old brass-covered wooden coal caddy at an auction a few years ago to drop in front of the fireplace and lo and behold it came ull with coal that I have no idea what to do with :P.

As for Christmas, if getting stuff for yourself counts, I got a Jet 16/32 drum sander (it arrived this week).

Not from myself I got a pair of old Stanley scrapers (an #80 and #81 both from the SW era) in remarkably good condition, I just need to do a little cleaning and replace the rosewood on the #81. And I got what I wanted, namely Jet parallel clamps and lots of them :).

Just realized that I chimed in about the coal and brass pictures, but never revealed my booty. And I got a fine booty.

My mom got me $100 at the Borg, which while not that useful for furniture building, I'm still remodeling parts of my house... Rockler doesn't carry Simpson ties :)

Also gave me $150 from Timber Woodworking and Machinery, an independent place in Mesa in two buildings: hardwoods and tools (new and used). It'll definitely get used; part (most?) of it for wood for something in her house.

And $25 from Starbucks. It's woodworking related as that's where I read FWW and FHB.

I got a Veritas low angle block plane, 2 24" bessey K Revo clamps, and various Lee Valley things for my stocking (sanding grips, resin blade cleaner, etc) And a $100 Lee Valley Gift card, along with a lot of non woodworking things (ac brotherhood and cod black ops for xbox, some clothes, etc, Good Eats cookbook volume 2, a fancy shaving mirror)

I'm excited to test out the plane come Tuesday. Tomorrow is AC Brotherhood day :)

omg, I really laughed out loud on that. I couldn't imagine putting it together like a big-kid Erector set then actually powering it up. Have you counted the children to make sure one did go in the pipe before you knew it?!

I couldnt help myself. My wife laughed too! I really am amazed at how strong the suction is on this thing. And for 139.00 how can you go wrong? Like I said the canister from Winn should be here by the end of next week.

biggrin.gif

Festool ETS 150/3 is on the way! Should fit in very nicely between my RO150FEQ and RTS 400. Should be a lot easier to use than the RO150.

Nice choice on the /3 to compliment the 150's /5. You might find that you don't use the RTS-400 as much after you get it; if that's the case, you can consider ordering the DTS-400 replacement pad from the EKAT system (replacement parts) and pop it on the RTS so you have a sander for corners. The switch is a couple minutes with a screw driver.