Veritas Dowel Maker

shaneymack

Looks like a very nicely made tool . Seen very old versions of these Made of wood that  there were quite accurate but none with a two blade system.  Rake makers tooling has a lot a little neat things like that one has  but we're probably not as accurate as the LV  tool . One thing I can't help but notice is the  dowel  appears to be burnished ?   I wonder if one of the knives is compressing the fibres and therefore may cause problems  actually using the Dowling in a  drill holes because it will swell from the glueing .  Is the back of the cutter perfectly flat?

Jack English machines Who thinks it's dangerous to walk into any Leevalley store  for no particular reason . 

• Like 1

Looks like a very nicely made tool . Seen very old versions of these Made of wood that  there were quite accurate but none with a two blade system.  Rake makers tooling has a lot a little neat things like that one has  but we're probably not as accurate as the LV  tool . One thing I can't help but notice is the  dowel  appears to be burnished ?   I wonder if one of the knives is compressing the fibres and therefore may cause problems  actually using the Dowling in a  drill holes because it will swell from the glueing .  Is the back of the cutter perfectly flat?

Jack English machines Who thinks it's dangerous to walk into any Leevalley store  for no particular reason . 

I think I know what happened. When i was dialing in the size to .250", i over shot by a bit. I was getting .254". The ring at the back of the body seems to have a hole that is for a maximum of .250"-.251" ish. So when the slightly oversized dowel passed through that ring at the back it was too tight which led to the slight compression of the fibers. I actually had to tap the dowel back out with the mallet. I backed the rear finishing blade off a hair and tried again. The last few pieces of maple I did are .247"- .249" which seems to be just perfect.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shane do the instructions tell you to pull it back? There seemed to be chatter that can cause tear out there. I would think pulling it all the way through would be better?

It's impossible to push it all the way through. There is a big chunk of 3/8" × 3/8" still in the drill. The only way out is back.

Shane, nice review.  Instead of the v block, couldn't you attach 2 blocks to a scrap of plywood, drill a 3/8 or 1/2 hole in the blocks, to act like a steady rest on a lathe.  Or the other thought doesn't a hunting bow have something similar to hold the shaft of the arrow.

Random thought, between the dowel making kit and the drill being used, them some pricey dowels!

• Like 1

So I guess Leavalley sized the bushing and I guess that could be it and advantage if you did compressed some your Dowels for some applications  .  Could you not just Chuck the rounded end  into the drill and pull it through to finish ?   It sure looks like a fun way to make square things around and of course you have all the choices of wood you want .  Thanks for taking time to share 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodenskye said:

Shane, nice review.  Instead of the v block, couldn't you attach 2 blocks to a scrap of plywood, drill a 3/8 or 1/2 hole in the blocks, to act like a steady rest on a lathe.  Or the other thought doesn't a hunting bow have something similar to hold the shaft of the arrow.

Random thought, between the dowel making kit and the drill being used, them some pricey dowels!

Thanks Bryan. I will have to try something like that out. I was thinking it will have to be something enclosed to avoid the whipping effect that im getting. 

About the drill being used, the pdc18 on high speed (speed 4 ) is actually faster than an impact driver which is good for this application. You want high speed spinning of the dowel and low feed rate. 

58 minutes ago, jack English machine said:

So I guess Leavalley sized the bushing and I guess that could be it and advantage if you did compressed some your Dowels for some applications  .  Could you not just Chuck the rounded end  into the drill and pull it through to finish ?   It sure looks like a fun way to make square things around and of course you have all the choices of wood you want .  Thanks for taking time to share 

Jack, that is a good point. I will try that out and report back. I dont remember seeing anything about this in the instructions, so I didnt give it much thought.

I was super interested until I looked at the pricing. I was expecting half that! 

I mean, still interested. Just can't justify something like that yet with so many other things in need. 

Seems amazing though. I swear sometimes I think I should just move the entire woodworking section of LV into my wishlist. 

• Like 1

I was super interested until I looked at the pricing. I was expecting half that! 

I mean, still interested. Just can't justify something like that yet with so many other things in need. 

Seems amazing though. I swear sometimes I think I should just move the entire woodworking section of LV into my wishlist. 

Totally hear you, Cliff, It comes with a pretty hefty price tag. It is very well made and will last my life. Tools are pretty much the only thing i really spend big bucks on, i wear cheap t shirts and jeans from costco =)

• Like 1

So just a quick update. I tried pulling the dowel completley through by chucking it up at the opposite side as recommended by jack. It worked so-so. 50% of the time it made it through all the way and 50% of the time it snapped. It would probably be fine with dowel that was a bit bigger. Could have been my technique as well, maybe i wasn't perfectly square to the body. Either way, for 1/4" dowel, I will just back it out to not risk breaking it in the future.

No way that was a tangent ... pretty much full-on perpendicular.

I learnt two things from this thread:

1) The Veritas dowel maker is pretty cool, but unless I'm looking for ebony/kingwood dowels I'll probably choke at the price.

2) That some old comic books cost twice as much as a Veritas dowel maker - and I thought woodwork was an expensive hobby!

Funny you say that, I have some ebony amd kingwood on hand. Maybe i make a few dowels! :)

Yeah, sounds dumb. I was talking about something like this but just circles. It could be a cool thing for those sweet boxes you make.

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articles/squareincircle/Fig43BowlExample.JPG

https://img0.etsystatic.com/057/0/9497460/il_570xN.740634936_15g1.jpg

No I didn't mean it sounded dumb. I mean someone as un artisitc as myself could not imagine what you were saying. You lost me

On June 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Iceballs Burnham said:

Yeah, sounds dumb. I was talking about something like this but just circles. It could be a cool thing for those sweet boxes you make.

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articles/squareincircle/Fig43BowlExample.JPG

https://img0.etsystatic.com/057/0/9497460/il_570xN.740634936_15g1.jpg

How did they get the square one in the round one?

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

How did they get the square one in the round one?

i would take a 1/4" x 1/4" piece and glue 1/4" stock on all 4 sides then turn it on the lathe or pass it through the dowel maker. Then cut pieces off the end like peperoni like in the photo.