Morris chair build

mkrusen

14 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Question #1 I saw someone use epoxy for the arms is there a reason unibond is used?

You'd have to ask someone who's done more bent lamination than I have. From what I can tell, glue choice for laminations is another one of those highly debatable topics. I would think epoxy would work fine as well, though with the quantity needed I think it'd be significantly more expensive. For reference, the bottle of Unibond and the hardener was about $44 shipped. After I do the back slats, I'll probably have used about 3/4's of it. It does have a fairly short shelf life, they say about 6 months. So definitely don't buy way more than you need unless you know you're going to be doing more laminations in the near future.

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Very nice! I like your bench chop as well.

Thanks! It tapers down into an elongated tear drop shape. I was really pleased with how it came out.

46 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I need the kind of job where when you don't have a job you can still afford to go to Hawaii.  Damn that place is expensive.

Chair is looking good.  You do solid work.

Thanks, appreciate the compliment.

I'm a biochemist who just finished grad school. I can't afford more than my mortgage and bills at the moment. And of course the occasional lumber. My parents go to Maui every year and they brought my wife and I this year as a belated wedding present. I blew my budget on Koa haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made some more progress over the past few days. Slower going than I'd like but we're getting closer to the finish line now. I have two other projects going on right now with rapidly approaching deadlines so my chair is having to play second fiddle. Not a ton of pictures today but I'll have a lot more once things start going into assemblies again.

So with the arms bent and mortises cut (which of course I didn't take pics of, oops) the next step is the side slats. For those who haven't seen the guild build, you use a slot cutter to cut a groove the entire length of side rails. You then glue in filler pieces between the slats. This is done so as as to avoid having to cut some pretty complex curved mortises and tenons on the slats. After doing it this way, I have mixed feelings about the process. Its definitely WAY easier and faster. However, I'm not 100% happy with the results. Maybe with some more meticulous grain matching it'd be better. And obviously the pieces haven't been finish prepped yet so there's still a little glue that'll go away. Hopefully with finish applied, the results will be great.

IMG_0190.jpg

A note of caution to those who plan on building this. It is extremely important to get the perfect fit on the slats. Shoot for a tight fit off the machines and then finesse with a plane so you get a perfect fit. Some of my slats were a little too tight and it made things difficult while trying to fit the filler pieces.

Here are the chair back stiles. Nothing complicated, just some template routing. I got lucky with a perfect board for these pieces. Both stiles came from the same board and the grain followed the curves really well. I like the profile of the chair back a lot. I think its going to be quite comfortable.

IMG_0189.jpg

The back slats. This is where things may get a bit interesting. Like I said, I'm on a bit of a time crunch with other projects going. I also may be taking a new job and having to pack up shop and move at any time now. So I really need to get this thing done asap. To try to speed things up a bit, I decided to skip the bent lamination for the back slats and cut them out of solid stock. I have a ton of leftover 8/4 cherry cut offs (not complaining) that should work quite well. Cutting the tenons was much easier this way as well. I was running out of time for the evening so this is how they sit currently. I didn't want to cut the curves until I can get them locked into their mortises the same day. I'm using some pretty straight-grained lumber but I'm a little worried these are going to move excessively on me.

IMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

Comments and critiques always welcome. More to come soon. Hopefully tomorrow. Beer time.

I got the chair back completed today. Cutting the slats out of solid stock ended up working really well. There was very little movement if any. Bent lamination is awesome but this was definitely much faster and I didn't have to deal with that huge routing jig used in the guild build. All the joints close up quite nicely. Overall, I'm very happy with the results.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I got the legs tapered and most of the pivot holes drilled. Just have to turn the pivot pins and make the corbels then its ready for finish prep and assembly. Getting closer! Time for another beer. On tap tonight, Goose Island Oktoberfest.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eric. said:

No one noticed.  You shoulda kept your mouth shut. :D

Took me a second to realize it myself. Was looking at it like "Huh, that profile looks really uncomfortable to sit against."

59 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Enjoying  your build. Congrats about the wife man.

Thanks, its been a great year already!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the base and chair back assembled today. The picture isn't uploading for some reason. Sorry. I also got the corbels made and the pivot pins turned. Need to do a little touch up sanding tomorrow and the chair is ready for finish. I have to sculpt some legs for a jewelry box and then I'll finish the chair at the same time.

IMG_0196.jpg

Sorry for the boring post with just one picture. This thing will be done soon and I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of the finished product.

• Like 2

Corbels on, finish sanded, and ready for finish.

IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

There was a small knot/crack in the right arm. I was planning to fill with tinted epoxy but I asked my wife if she was interested in me putting turquoise in it instead. Turquoise was the answer so turquoise it is. I actually really like it. I've seen some pieces where the stone inlay is way over done and it looks a bit gimmicky. This is just a small spot, about the size of a dime, and is a neat little surprise. Like you lift up your arm and say "Hey look at that."

IMG_0199.jpg

I got my other commission piece done today as well so I got out the leaf blower and blew out the shop before finish. First coat of finish went on everything about 15 minutes ago and I'm loving it! More pics to come after 4 coats and cure.

On a side note, any suggestions for fabric? Type and color? I would love to go with leather but that will have to wait for this chair's future partner. My wife and I are trying to have a baby and the hopefully soon-to-be newborn will do a lot of feeding and sleeping in this chair with us. I'd prefer to have a fabric that can be thrown in the laundry.

• Like 1