Morris chair build

mkrusen

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 6:27 PM, mkrusen said:

Chair is at an upholsterer now, should be done in about 2 more weeks. Holy crap is it expensive. Screw science, I should go into the upholstery business.

Seems to be a theme. How much was it, if you dont mind sharing. I plan on doing two chairs this winter, and i assume im going to be out a grand for the cushions.

10 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Seems to be a theme. How much was it, if you dont mind sharing. I plan on doing two chairs this winter, and i assume im going to be out a grand for the cushions.

Yeah I think you're about spot on. I was quoted $487. The foam was the expensive part. Apparently its a petroleum by-product so its pricey. I sat on an example cushion though and it sure was comfortable. Well worth it in the end, just a little sticker shock at first.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Eric. said:

Very cool man.  Looks like a top notch upholstery job.  I'm a brown leather man myself but the blue looks great and good on ya for being different. ;)

Yeah I think the next one will be leather. I definitely took a risk with this fabric but I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm very impressed with the upholstery work. They even created little tucked notches in the corners of the cushions to wrap around the legs of the chair and ottoman. Nice little detail that I never would've thought to do.

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Hey that chair looks great! Now you need to make Hers so you can replace that brown leather thing ;). It's good that the chair made it through the wet basement. Did you ever get that fixed up or is that the next project?

Haha yeah I kept all the jigs so there is definitely another one in the future. My shop is a detached 2 stall garage and it only got about 2 inches of water. It soaked one chair leg that happened to be laying on the ground. I took my time drying that guy with fans from all directions etc and prayed it would stay square. I lucked out for sure. No problems whatsoever. The basement was a different story. Total gut job. We got insurance payout but we're likely moving very soon so not sure if we'll refinish it or not. Need to talk to the realtor. I'm actually waiting to hear back on a job in Fargo. Really hoping it works out. We'd love to come back home.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are cushions hella expensive? This chair looks great, but I'm with Eric--I have to go leather. Ugh, I am not going to like the price for two chairs in leather. Better start saving now...

im excited to build these, because they look so comfortable. The ones in my office's lobby are comfy, and I don't believe they have the curved back slats. No ottoman either, which has to double the comfort factor.