Mobile toolbox

shaneymack

I would also buy a receiver lock.  For under $50, it's a good piece of mind. 

I bought this coupler lock. Its pretty much indestructible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NUNFKS6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471056263&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=amplock+trailer+coupler+lock&dpPl=1&dpID=51vf2QzS4aL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to watching you kit this out!  Jaw dropped a bit at the sight of that non green miter saw

Lol ! I had a 10" bosch before the kapex. I also have a 12" Dewalt at work. I bought this little guy for the trailer and small jobs. It's only an 8 1/2" saw. I got it on sale for like 330$ cdn !!! I tested it out earlier and its a sweet little machine . My kapex will stay in my shop unless I have alot of finishing to do. Its actually at a clients right now. On the left side of the trailer I will have a miter station setup for the times I have like 5 cuts to do. I will have power and lights and dust collection in the trailer. Sometimes during my final inspection before delivering a house I notice a couple things missing or needing to be changed. Instead of calling my finishing guy back for a 10 minute job I just do it instead. Keeps everyone happy.

I will also be picking up a mini portable table saw. I have the bosch 4100 but its just too big. Just need something to compliment the track saw. Probabaly going to get the bosch even though I think the dewalt is better. I just can't stand dewalt...

This is an awesome thread, thanks for sharing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LOL . I actually wasn't going to post any of this because I didn't think there would be any interest. I'm glad you're interested !

This will be a pretty easy build. It's the design thats hurting my brain. Everytime I think I have it I remember a few more tools I need to include or realise a space issue when I go check in the trailer.

Good thing im working with cheap ply (only 38$/ sheet) because i might need to modify or change stuff as I go. Ive got some remodelling to do in Ottawa first weekend of September so I have enough time.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Sometimes during my final inspection before delivering a house I notice a couple things missing or needing to be changed.

I will also be picking up a mini portable table saw. I have the bosch 4100 but its just too big. Just need something to compliment the track saw. Probabaly going to get the bosch even though I think the dewalt is better. I just can't stand dewalt...

How exactly does one deliver a house?
Olander2x_1295555216.jpg

?

I have a dewalt table saw it's pretty decent but i hate it as well ... I'd get the bosch but that's just because I'd want to try something new.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

t's the design thats hurting my brain. Everytime I think I have it I remember a few more tools I need to include or realise a space issue when I go check in the trailer.

I'd imagine some type of modular design would be best so you could actually add/remove a tool here and there, or reorganize, depending on the job type, and depending on how much space you need to bring a lot materials, etc. Or is the plan to just have one setup and leave it be?

• Like 1

@shaneymack I am sure you could convince your bosses that this would be perfect for the trailer.  

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/mafell/MAF-ERIKA85Ec.html

Haha! I wish. By the time you get Erika all dressed up she is over 5k. And thats Usd which means over 6k cdn. There are no Mafell dealers here in Canada either, which is probably a good thing for a tool addict like me. Lol

I'd imagine some type of modular design would be best so you could actually add/remove a tool here and there, or reorganize, depending on the job type, and depending on how much space you need to bring a lot materials, etc. Or is the plan to just have one setup and leave it be?

Ya it will be somewhat modular. I will probably have more drawers at first and as I replace tools to go into systainers i can get rid of the drawer and add a sys slide out. I think a lot od this will be build as I go. In going to start today on building the 12' material holder and build off that. Just too many ideas in my head and i need to see how each part will go in and how the next ones will marry int it.

• Like 1

You think basement jobs are tough ? Try working on a high rise condo.  I will concede that an elevator isn't as tough as a staircase. But 20 stories and a parking lot each way makes every forgotten tool a nightmare. HOA's pale in comparison to griping condo neighbors !

Best thing for high rise work is an old audio visual projector cart. Tool cases, compressor & supplies on the lower shelves, miter saw on top. Wrapped the entire thing in packing blankets then told the concierge it was a furniture delivery so I didn't have to wait for the freight elevator!

No I don't think basement are tough at all. I hear you about high rise condos, thats gotta suck.

Our company does mostly industrial work so we get in some pretty annoying situations. Worst places to work are the airport or the refineries. Years back we were adding a wing to the Montreal airport and most of the work had to be done over night. It was like a 45mins to get from the truck , unload our tools onto luggage carts ( which we later were told we couldn't do anymore) pass all the safety checks and walk kilometers with all our gear to the other end of the airport. Then we had to work in almost -40c weather all night outside next to the runway. The airport is a nice place to work in terms of not being rushed to get stuff done but its really annoying in other regards. My company has been at the airport for probably over thirty years renovating it. We have three jobs going on right now there.

Oil refineries are really bad also. Takes sooo long to get through security (after taking their security course) and then you need to get to where you need to work which is also a nightmare. We built a new labratory for Shell on the refinery grounds about 10 years ago. Myself and a couple other carpenters had to build all the parapets and machine bases on the roof of this thing. Middle of summer you had to wear long sleeves, long pants, your workboots, glasses, hardhat and I think gloves also. There was a hardass security guy that worked for shell that would stand there all day long staring at us. If we so much as rolled a sleeve up he would come running to yell at us. Was pure hell.

I've got so many more of these stories (like working at Pharmaceutical companies) but I don't want to put everyone to sleep lol.

Shane, could you use something like this?

http://bistritontools.com/twx7cs001-triton-contractor-saw-module.html?gclid=CJ-mpai_vs4CFcgjgQodPVQDhQ

Assuming it isn't available it green & black?

I had my eye on this little guy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-GTS1031-10-Inch-Portable-Jobsite/dp/B004O7FX20

Why not get the new Bosch with the safety tech so you can give us a review?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lol. I was thinking of getting the sawstop jobsite saw but I already have a full size jobsite saw (bosch 4100) The bosch Reaxx saw is also 2000$ here which is pretty dumb. Thats 300$ more than the Sawstop. Anyways, I only want to get one of the mini jobsite saws like the Bosch gts1031.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, shaneymack said:

Yeah, an alarm is a good idea. Im not sure I will leave it on a job site though and Im not very worried about it here at my house. I have been thinking of the best way to go about securing this thing. I guess an audible alarm would definitely help spook a thief. Do you know of any specific alarms that are for this purpose?

If it were me and I had a large fortune in Festool stored in a trailer, I'd throw in a Raspberry PI or Odroid with camera, door sensors, GPS, and a cellular/4G modem. Put all the tech inside so they can't just cut a battery wire and turn off the noisemaker. It won't stop a thief, but it gets you GPS on the trailer and video of them getting into it for prosecuting later.

-E

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

If it were me and I had a large fortune in Festool stored in a trailer, I'd throw in a Raspberry PI or Odroid with camera, door sensors, GPS, and a cellular/4G modem. Put all the tech inside so they can't just cut a battery wire and turn off the noisemaker. It won't stop a thief, but it gets you GPS on the trailer and video of them getting into it for prosecuting later.

-E

Thanks of the info Elroy, its much appreciated! I will Google these things as I don't know anything about anything you wrote LOL