Incidental Boxes

Eric.

23 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Looks great man. 

Needs metal drawer slides though. 

and twine.  

Like I said earlier, this is beautiful work E.  If those dovetails were a woman they'd be deposited straight into my bank account of corporal punishment.  

On August 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Eric. said:

Thanks guys!

Sometimes I remove the lines, sometimes I don't.  I kind of like them on these boxes...not much else to look at.  But they never bother me.  I see them as the craftsman's fingerprints.

Everything was finished with Tried & True linseed & beeswax.  One coat and done.  It's my favorite finish for decorative items that don't need protection.  And it doesn't get any easier to apply. :)

What is the ratio of linseed and beeswax? In the recent FWW, there is an article  where shellac is used, followed by wax, but it doesn't say what kind. Is this beeswax as well?

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

What is the ratio of linseed and beeswax? In the recent FWW, there is an article  where shellac is used, followed by wax, but it doesn't say what kind. Is this beeswax as well?

The exact ratio I'm not sure of, Coop.  It's kind of a gooey substance so I guess it could be something like 50/50.

I doubt they're using beeswax on top of shellac.  It's possible, but I imagine a crystalline wax like Renaissance would be best for that.  Anyway, that's what I would use in that situation.

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I have used beeswax over "regular" (non-dewaxed) shellac, but the mix was roughly 50% beeswax 50% turpentine, no oils added to the mix.

16 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Its probably just johnson's paste wax, or something similar.  If so, I think it is a mix paraffin wax and mineral spirits.  EDIT: I looked it up.  Johnson's consists of paraffin,  carnauba and microcrystaline .  Considering paraffin in these cheapest of the three, it is probably mostly paraffin.  

Last question! In the FWW article, they are using the Zinsser dewaxed shellac, then applying wax. You don't want the wax in the shellac, but on it?

OK, I lied, not last question. When you get a chance, what are the deminisions of the boxes?  I have several boxes to make for sil for a church bizarre, and these look well proportioned. I'd like to blame it on time restraints but actually due to lack of experience, mine will be using box joints instead on dt's. I have some 13/16 ambrosia maple that I would like to resaw for the boxes and wrap the grain, using walnut for the lids. 

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Last question! In the FWW article, they are using the Zinsser dewaxed shellac, then applying wax. You don't want the wax in the shellac, but on it?

The only reason I know of that you need to use dewaxed shellac instead of regular shellac is if you were using it as a sealer and a base layer under varnish.  You don't want the wax in it because, technically, you could have adherence issues.  Otherwise I don't see any advantage.

12 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Just catching up on this thread. Those boxes are awesome. I'm feeling inspired. 

Thanks man!

12 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I can't tell the diff from Renaissance and Johnsons...might just be me though.

Ren wax is clearer, dries harder, and polishes easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM, K Cooper said:

OK, I lied, not last question. When you get a chance, what are the deminisions of the boxes?  I have several boxes to make for sil for a church bizarre, and these look well proportioned. I'd like to blame it on time restraints but actually due to lack of experience, mine will be using box joints instead on dt's. I have some 13/16 ambrosia maple that I would like to resaw for the boxes and wrap the grain, using walnut for the lids. 

Bump