I'm burning my guitar

rodger.

Here's an example of taking lead guitar and turning it into a song versus spewing fast played notes. Yngwie Malmsteen never impressed me. Playing stuff fast doesn't mean playing good stuff. That's like building pallet wood furniture with a nail gun, in the end it's nothing special.

Props that she can play that fast, but anyone with 3 hours a day to keep running the same scales will get faster and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was only poking fun, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, which I seem to have done.

The technical ability and dexterity to be able to play in this style is undeniably difficult.  Of course, in the creative arena of music, there is room for many ways to express, and the whole idea is make the listener "feel" something.

Blues really speaks to me, and I feel much more connected with the music of people like Gary Moore than than speed demon malmsteen.

9 minutes ago, Pug said:

Blues really speaks to me, and I feel much more connected with the music of people like Gary Moore than than speed demon malmsteen.

No feathers ruffled. I appreciated the speed and technical ability. This just doesn't go beyond repetitive warmups. I don't feel as though the player is putting any soul into the music. It's too scattered and fast to appreciate the notes. There's a lot of merit to letting a note ring out. 

I love jazz guitar, there's something incredibly chill about it. It's been proven that there are certain notes that resonate with people, causing intense emotions. I know some people who uncontrollably cry at the sounds of certain tones. 

On 8/24/2016 at 5:14 AM, C Shaffer said:

That's rough... Tom, you nailed it. Let's wait and see if this girl takes music on as her own in a pleasing fashion. She seems splendidly fluid, but is still in that regurgitation of patterns phase. 

I feel the same way for the most part, but anyone that can play John Petrucci/Satriani/Vai is a killer player, regardless of anything else. I'm watching her play a song I can play right now (Megadeth - Tornado of Souls) and she's definitely making me look sad - same on Metallica - Master of Puppets. But what is really interesting is that she uses her middle finger on power chords. That's insane to me. Hell I can't even stretch that far anymore due to arthritis (hence the reason I've quit) 

Anyway, I'll be more impressed when she can write songs like this. But picking up a guitar and jamming out anything by Dream Theater is not something to crap on for sure. Though I knew 2 guys personally in High School that could do it as well. But youtube didn't exist then. What a shame.

I think that Youtube and the new way of learning guitar online is really a huge thing for kids now. They have tons and tons of free time as teenagers, don't need to sleep much and now they have a magic box in their bedroom that they can learn guitar technique for 18 hours/day in the summer. And they can learn from the very idols they love because a lot these guys like tossing out videos showing the tricks that took them decades to master. I think musicians are going to constantly progress so that each generation leaves the old one in the dust because of the internet. Programming is somewhat similar. You can pick up a lynda.com subscription and be caught up with me in 2 years max (you = anyone I guess) but that stuff took me 11 years of experience to pick up. 

Music, like any art form, has a wide array of forms and aficionados. My recommendation is to expose yourself to a wide expanse of styles and genres.  Don't let your "favorites" limit you.  The internet and things like Pandora are great for broadening your views as to what is enjoyable.

On August 24, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Lester Burnham said:

This is much better if you reduce the speed on the youtube player to .5.

5 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Don't let your "favorites" limit you.

This is so true. You could be the next greatest bluegrass player but if you don't expose yourself to it you'll never know. Same with anything. 

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Music, like any art form, has a wide array of forms and aficionados. My recommendation is to expose yourself to a wide expanse of styles and genres.  Don't let your "favorites" limit you.  The internet and things like Pandora are great for broadening your views as to what is enjoyable.

Yeah, at almost a one per thousand return on investment. I thumb a lot of Pandora stuff down. It frustrates me enough when they stop letting me skip stuff that I use it much less than I used to.