Taking a risk on an Amazon Purchase

Orbb

I use a service called camelcamelcamel to track prices on Amazon and to provide me with notices when the price of items has dropped below a certain threshold.  One of the items I am tracking is a Festool Domino XL. 

I keep getting price alerts on a Domino XL which is $700, around half the price of a new one.   It is purportedly "used-like new" and the seller is a new seller to Amazon. The link is below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007RB7JA4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

My question is this:  Has anyone had any experience purchasing from non-Amazon sellers on Amazon, and if so, have they been bad experiences?   If this was eBay I wouldn't even think about it; I just wonder if Amazon has any further vetting of its sellers.

• Like 1

It's not a risk, Amazon will back you 100%.  If you're not satisfied with the item, return it to the sender (make sure you have delivery confirmation) and Amazon will reverse the funds if the seller doesn't do it on their own.

Whether or not you'll still be covered by Festool's warranty, different issue...you may wanna look into that.

Amazon is the most customer-centric company on earth.  They will do whatever it takes to make sure a customer is happy, even at the expense of a seller with a long-standing account and perfect metrics.  Trust me.

• Like 1

Amazon's position on third party sellers is briefly laid out here.  I am interested in your lack of concern about eBay.  I recall the bad old days of eBay and am probably missing out due to my scars from the early version.  Has eBay implemented buyer support and guarantees similar to Amazon while I have had my head in the sand?

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I am interested in your lack of concern about eBay.

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

I interpreted OPs statement as he would not even thinking about buying it from ebay.  

Same here, and I would agree with the skepticism.  However, ebay has gotten much better about buyer protection via paypal in recent years.  It's much less risky than it used to be.  I've had very few nightmare situations on ebay, and they were all as seller and not buyer...and I've had thousands of transactions.  For the most part people just wanna buy something or sell something fair and square and move on with their lives.

No, don't even look at those listings where you have to email someone first to purchase it. Just screams scam. I'm aware of Amazon protection on purchases, but I get the vibe on these they want you to complete the purchase outside of Amazon's system.

That's just me, though. There are a ton of these listings popping up on a variety of products asking you to contact them before purchase, and the prices are at levels too good to be true. I'm not sure I'd do it for something at $7, much less $700. I'd put money on if you were to order it via Amazon without contacting them they'd just cancel it. Maybe that there makes it worth the risk? I just don't believe you'll be getting that product for that price.

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I was able to add it to my cart and check out (I did not buy it) without contacting the seller. 

My thought was that even if you completed the purchase it would be canceled shortly after. "Sorry, we already sold this item," etc.

Another thing to look at is all these sellers like this are Just Launched. Spidey sense going off big time.

My seller profile said "Just Launched" once.

Worst case scenario IMO is you're buying a stolen unit.  I'd say that's likely.  I'd also say who cares.  If I was in the market for a used Domzilla I wouldn't hesitate.  You're protected as long as you buy through AZ.

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty shady they ask you to email them before purchase.  That's not normal.  I bet if you don't, and add to the Amazon cart and pay through Amazon, you'll never see the 700 but will get a refund.  If you contact them directly and pay outside of Amazon like I'm sure they'll request, you'll never see the 700 OR the money.

People pay outside of Amazon and EBay the same they pay $1500 over the phone to keep the IRS from coming to arrest them for overdue taxes they didn't know they owed.  If this ad is what we assume, it'll work.

Why would you buy something that's not prime?  The shipping is SOOOOO slow.  Like four days.  What is this, 1997?

OP, you can risk it if you stay through Amazon.  it probably won't happen, but you'll keep your money.

I did buy my Domino used from Amazon.  It is the 500, I think I paid $815 for the package that included the cross stop.  This was also through Amazon prime, so like Eric said Amazon had possession of the item.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Another tip is to only buy Prime items.  That way Amazon has possession and control of the item and there is zero risk.  You don't even have to pay for the return if you're Prime.  I don't know how anyone can live without Prime at this point.

The overall quality of Prime has dropped noticeably for me. I've had Same-Day delivery take 4 days, and a couple items show up damaged or simply not boxed fully. These are from Amazon's warehouses too. I'm only 10 miles from their headquarters.

You might be 10 miles from their headquarters but that's not where your packages are coming from.  They do have some boneheads packing their boxes, I'll admit...but technically UPS is responsible for the damages, not Amazon.  As far as lead times on delivery, if anything, my service has gotten faster.  I'm not sure I've ever had a package arrive late beyond the two days, and often I get stuff delivered overnight when I didn't expect it.

One thing you have to make sure of when ordering an item is that it's not back-ordered.  When a third-party seller ships inventory to a fulfillment center, or when Amazon transfers inventory between fulfillment centers, often the item will still show as available through Prime but the item will not be immediately available for shipping because it is currently in transit somewhere else.  I've done this accidentally before...it's not hard to do if you're not paying attention.

24 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You might be 10 miles from their headquarters but that's not where your packages are coming from.  They do have some boneheads packing their boxes, I'll admit...but technically UPS is responsible for the damages, not Amazon.  As far as lead times on delivery, if anything, my service has gotten faster.  I'm not sure I've ever had a package arrive late beyond the two days, and often I get stuff delivered overnight when I didn't expect it.

One thing you have to make sure of when ordering an item is that it's not back-ordered.  When a third-party seller ships inventory to a fulfillment center, or when Amazon transfers inventory between fulfillment centers, often the item will still show as available through Prime but the item will not be immediately available for shipping because it is currently in transit somewhere else.  I've done this accidentally before...it's not hard to do if you're not paying attention.

I've checked, there are two service centers within that same 10 mile radius. Who knows where some of the more esoteric items (2x 8' Bamboo Stair Treads) are coming from, but it's definitely a trend. From my reading, Amazon's been favoring more temporary workers, rather than full-time warehouse staff.

I forget where i was reading it, but lots of scams with the amazon warehouse deals. I wouldnt be surprised to hear this was one. However, i do know a guy local to me who watches that crap like a hawk and buys festool gear at a deep discount and resells on craigslist. I know, because i purchased one of his resold items off craigslist new in box, a MFT3. He told me hes purchased 4-5 domino 500s for $400 or under. Deals do pop up, it seems. 

I got an email response.  Kinda surprised they say to go back through Amazon for payment, but there is no way it's legit.

"Hello!
Thanks for inquire - Festool 574447 XL DF 700 Domino Joiner Set at the price of $375.00. This product is Brand New, original box, sealed, never used, no scratches or any problems, comes in the manufacturer packaging with 2 years of warranty and all manufacturer supplied accessories.
We have an Special Price because we have a stock liquidation and this is the last unit. We also offer free shipping  on all products until the 29th of October. 
 If you want to order, please email us your shipping details and full name so we can place your order on Amazon. Amazon will confirm your order and guide you through the payment process once we will receive your details.
Our return policy is full money back in 15 days if you are not satisfied with our products.
Kindest regards! "

5 hours ago, BonPacific said:

The overall quality of Prime has dropped noticeably for me. I've had Same-Day delivery take 4 days, and a couple items show up damaged or simply not boxed fully. These are from Amazon's warehouses too. I'm only 10 miles from their headquarters.

They won't automatically do anything, but if you whine they'll give you extra months of free prime for late shipments and partial refunds for damaged items (if the rest is still usable etc.... basically whatever you ask for)

1 minute ago, Gilgaron said:

They won't automatically do anything, but if you whine they'll give you extra months of free prime for late shipments and partial refunds for damaged items (if the rest is still usable etc.... basically whatever you ask for)

They've always given me something, a few bucks credit or free returns. It's just depressing after so many years of excellent service that they've started failing so often.