Shop organization. Please help this disaster!

Fxguy

This makes me feel better about the state of my garage shop. I'm still figuring it all out and have lots of shop fixtures to build but I'm getting it figured out. Just started making clamp racks and that alone was a hugely motivating experience. Seeing my clamps on the wall, all organized was huge and now I don't have to hunt all over my shop for clamps when I need them.

I have fairly severe inattentive ADHD and my tendency to just set something down in random locations without thinking about it adds up very quickly and then my shop is so disorganized it's overwhelming to even go out there and work in it. I've GOT TO set up some shop organization and be very disciplined about it or I'll be back to a disaster in no time.

Next project is a miter saw station so I can use my workbench as an actual workbench. Right now it's a mess of scraps, dust, and miscellaneous tools and is a pain in the ass to use.

Eventually I need to make it so that my wife can park in the garage again and I can wheel stuff out of the way of her spot until I need to work out there. The third bay was going to be my shop but we decided to move my wife's guinea pig and rabbit breeding operation out there so I've got to make the other two bays work for the both of us.

Happy wife, happy life! :P

On 11/6/2016 at 6:30 PM, Fxguy said:

Another problem is that its not as much a woodshop as it is a maker shed. I do a lot of electronics / animatronics and metal work out there in addition to to working with wood so I'm having trouble thinking through the design / layout for a multipurpose space. 

Take a look at what Adam Savage does in his shop on Tested.  Basically he has everything on carts   So if you're doing electrical stuff you bring over the electrical cart and everything you need is easily accessible.  That way you can change your work area to be whatever you need it to be rather than having dedicated areas for all the different stuff you do.  The problem I would have with that kind of system in a woodworking shop is everything getting covered in dust.  My non-woodworking needs are much simpler so what I did is have a wall of small plastic bins outside of the shop.  That's one of the ways I keep my shop organized.  I cheated and moved all the crap that doesn't get used often into another area.  

• Like 1

I have the whole ADD thing REALLY bad which not only explains why my shop is a complete disaster and why I have so many partially completed projects. Krtwood - I have researched Adam Savage quite a bit and really love his organization philosophy. I agree on the dust, which is where a really good dust collection system comes into play. 

We recently were able to gain access to the attic space above the garage and I might be able to put a workbench up there for some of the finer electronics stuff. I've been considering rebuilding my workbench because when I built the current one I was building it with my Ryobi table saw that I couldn't get a square cut out of to save my life. 

I need to get some time to sit down and plot out a floor plan for the major tools / big stuff. With 40 hours a week at work, and the 1 and 3 year old, time in the shop is extremely hard to come by. Guess I'll have to go back to my old adage that 15 min here and 15 min there will eventually add up.