Makita Tracksaw Review

sheperd80

Yeah sry folks i wrote a whole review, edited it, tapatalk decided i should have added a new reply with an entire quote of the review and the edit. So i deleted just the reply and tapatalk deleted both. So heres version 2 with less pics cuz tapatalk didnt want me to have those either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

I guess I'll put my tapatalk review here:

It sucks.

I just deleted it as well!  Never did like it!

Thanks for the review!  It really shouldn't surprise me that it's gotten positive reviews from other places than the good folks here!

Well crap...I bought the Makita based on the overwhelming positive reviews.  Hopefully I didn't choose poorly.  I suppose it'll be easy enough to flip if the saw doesn't live up to expectations.

I think it just depends what u expect. The saw performs pretty well imho. Its the small tid bits i wish they wouldve put more attention into.

But at like 200 less than a ts55, it seems like a respectable alternative. Despite all the flimsy adjustments it produced some good cuts.

18 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

1-3/4" poplar bogged the motor and requires a slow push as well. It left some very minor saw marks and burn.

Thanks for the review.  My Ts75 will bog down and cut quality suffers if I don't switch to a rip blade for these cuts.  I wonder if that is what is happening here?  I use a piece of blue tape on my saw to remind me what blade I have on my saw, if I don't, I am usually half way through my cut and cussing the saw before I realize that it is the idiot driver, and not the saw causing the problem.

Youre probably right bob. The supplied blade is definitely for crosscutting and thats what ill use the saw for most often. These observations are just for reference and comparison, honestly i was pretty happy with all the cut results all things considered.

Eventually ill grab a ripping blade for it to open up the versatility and report back.

My TS55 is relatively new, so the blade is fresh, but I was able to cross cut through 1 3/4" cherry with no bogging.  The saw was plugged into my CT, both on them plugged into a dedicated 20amp circuit.  

I'm not gonna pretend that Festool doesn't have a certain percentage of markup simply because of the name.  You'd be naive to think that.  But they do go the extra mile in the engineering and QC departments and that's what makes them such fine tools...and more expensive.  So while I think they are absolutely overpriced, some of the Festools are still worth paying the extra money for.  Apparently the TS may be one of them...I don't see an extra $200 as a huge disparity for that particular machine.  Drills, on the other hand...now it makes no sense.

I'm not gonna pretend that Festool doesn't have a certain percentage of markup simply because of the name.  You'd be naive to think that.  But they do go the extra mile in the engineering and QC departments and that's what makes them such fine tools...and more expensive.  So while I think they are absolutely overpriced, some of the Festools are still worth paying the extra money for.  Apparently the TS may be one of them...I don't see an extra $200 as a huge disparity for that particular machine.  Drills, on the other hand...now it makes no sense.

I agree in principle. Depends on the users needs really. There are a few Festools i want, and i'll cough it up for a quality tool thats right for me. Especially for my job where that cost has a return value.

Problem is, many of their tools just arent right for me. Id spend 500 for a quality trim router with dc that can do edge details, and free-hand relief/mortising. They dont make that tool though, the Mfk is terribly unfit for carpentry or the woodworking i do. Id spend 1200 on a miter saw with dc thats fast powerful and accurate. They dont make that either. Ive used the Kapex, its a weak, slow, awkward saw with an insanely overpriced stand, inferior to the bosch stand at 1/4 the cost! As a woodworker, i can go weeks without using a miter saw, so its not worth the cost there either. The list goes on. You'd think a proffesional carpenter and hobbyist woodworker who's willing to pay retarded prices and loves the idea of "systems" would be an ideal target for Festool, but so many of their tools missed the mark with me.

In this case i was willing again to pay the extra for Festool, but went Makita because of the advantages it has. Extra power and cut depth have specific value for me on the job. The question is whether those advantages are worth the tradeoffs, and whether it'll fulfill my finer woodworking needs. Time will tell, but right now im thinking yes. The goofy adjustments didnt prevent me from making nice cuts. A ripping blade should solve the thick hardwood issue, and the ts saws ive used had the same minor chipping on sheetgoods.

7 minutes ago, sheperd80 said:

insanely overpriced stand, inferior to the bosch stand at 1/4 the cost!

Totally agree its overpriced but the UG wings are amazing. Are you referring to the rolling UG cart? What don't you like?

I bought a mini mft that the Kapex sits on, but its really  the Ka-Ug extension wings that I love. 

large-fes497514.jpg

Totally agree its overpriced but its the best I've ever used. Are you referring to the rolling UG cart?

The stand and wings are great for some things i'll admit. The full support and flag stops on the wings really appealed to me. But it felt extremely rickety, and took way longer to setup than the grav-lift stands with the pull-out extensions.

There are jobsites where the kapex and ug setup would be right. Those jobs where we setup shop for weeks and do fine carpentry indoors. But those jobs are divided by "setup outside, go fast fast fast all day, teardown, move on" type jobs. I do about half and half, and am able to get great results for the finer work with much faster (and cheaper) equipment.

The bosch glide and grav lift is in my future. Im buying a trailer soon so ill have room for that setup. And right next to it will be a CT and stack of systainers for festool jigsaw, sanders, domino etc. Dont mistake me for a hater. :-D But i dont think the kapex will ever rly work for me.

7 minutes ago, sheperd80 said:

But it felt extremely rickety,

Thats what I thought when i saw it, thats why i went with the mft and UG extension combo. Super solid this way. Not quick to setup but I have only brought it onsite on my side jobs and If I had an entire basement to finish for example. 98% of the time Kapex stays in my shop. I have two other miter saws for site work, Dewalt and a bosch. 

What is the cut depth on the Makita anyway?

2-3/16" on the track

Thats what I thought when i saw it, thats why i went with the mft and UG extension combo. Super solid this way. Not quick to setup but I have only brought it onsite on my side jobs and If I had an entire basement to finish for example. 98% of the time Kapex stays in my shop. I have two other miter saws for site work, Dewalt and a bosch. 

That makes sense. But the mft is another one i just cant stomach. Feel free to roll on through here and change my mind :-D. I saw your trailer thread and wow!

But i think with the reported quality a dc capabilities of the new bosch stuff, thatll serve me well. Never actually used it though so i'll have to see for myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheperd80 said:

But the mft is another one i just cant stomach. Feel free to roll on through here and change my mind :-D

Mft is a real game changer. Its great in the shop and great on the job site. Again, overpriced but it is an amazing tool. Most guys that own one probably won't disagree.