New Laguna Dust Collectors

jplemons

After a rather gentle email to Rockler indicating my displeasure regarding how they handle these kinds of transactions I was rewarded with a bribe.  They are sending me a $75 gift card.  I do appreciate the gesture and understand that they are at the mercy of the manufacturer regarding inventory.  I still will hold to the fact this will be my last Rockler purchase... well when I spend the 75 bucks that is...after all I'm not refusing the bribe :)

Oh and JP no need to apologize to me at least... I bought this unit based on my own research and requirements...but it you feel real guilty I do accept bribes as you can see...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd pop in here to mention that I am selling my Laguna DC.  Why you ask? 

Let the picture do the talking

I was stubborn and insisted on trying to do the installation myself.  As the pic illustrates I was not successful.  I don't have the skills or patience to repair it.  I suspect it would work even its current condition but never completed the assembly to test it.  I am so mad at myself for this... I just want to get it out of my sight as it's a constant reminder.  I paid 2100 for it and I'd let anyone here have it for a grand.  I live in the DC metro area.

20170704_133307.jpg

22 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Hopefully that dent isn't from a head butt...

LOL.... no from a floor butt... I was able to sell it which ends my frustration with looking at it but will be a reminder to my foolishness for a long while.

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You couldn't just pound it back out?  I seriously doubt it would have any effect on performance.  Seems like a costly concession for not a great reason.

Yeah I'm confused. Why take a thousand dollar loss because of what is almost certainly a cosmetic issue?

• Like 1

While I agree with all of you, it's hard to express but I simply wanted it out of my life at this point.  Before we begin to psychoanalyze the situation (too late) I can assure you that yes I am a bit crazy for not simply trying to fix it.  To add to the lunacy I will probably get the exact same unit to replace it... So shake your heads and call me an idiot...you won't be the first or last.

On 2/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, jplemons said:

I ordered my bandsaw from this place http://thisiswoodworking.com/laguna-tools/ and it went well, especially the call from the freight company. I believe most places just drop ship, though, so if there's an inventory issue it may be based with Laguna. Can't hurt to call Laguna directly and see what's up.

On another side, I guess I should apologize for linking to this video without actually researching the source better. It was the only "test" I could find and seemed legit at first. However, now I can see how the validity of the source could be in question. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the manufacturer as far as any real-world data and performance is concerned. I'm hoping the series lives up to this video because I think it fits my needs. I'm just building up my savings to afford one of these and a jointer.

I go by the store regularly -- and am going by today. Good shop.

1 hour ago, SplinteredDave said:

While I agree with all of you, it's hard to express but I simply wanted it out of my life at this point.  Before we begin to psychoanalyze the situation (too late) I can assure you that yes I am a bit crazy for not simply trying to fix it.  To add to the lunacy I will probably get the exact same unit to replace it... So shake your heads and call me an idiot...you won't be the first or last.

No.  I actually get where you're coming from.

I totally get OCD and not having bonehead moves staring you in the face.  Totally get it.  But not for $1100.  That just doesn't make any sense.  Spin that housing around where you can't see it...or something.  There's a lot you can do with $1100 that would be a lot more fun than burning it.

• Like 1

Guest Randy
On 7/4/2017 at 1:37 PM, SplinteredDave said:

I was stubborn and insisted on trying to do the installation myself.  As the pic illustrates I was not successful.  I don't have the skills or patience to repair it.  I suspect it would work even its current condition but never completed the assembly to test it.

It may be a relatively simple repair with a new fan blower housing, but that would be true if that is the only thing damaged. If any of the fan blades are bent, they would most likely need to be replaced also. As for using it like it is, based on my understanding of DC's, it is questionable. The picture shows an opening between the fan housing and the motor mounting plate which would likely permit air to enter what is supposed to be a closed, sealed system. I can't tell exactly what the DC looks like but assume it's a cyclone type and I would think that any leaks in the system would affect the DC efficiency and/or power as well as the particles that escape into the DC filter, thus causing filter clogging more often than normal. It is certainly likely that you could repair it for less than it would cost to purchase a new one of the same capacity though. You should check on it.

Sounds like a done deal.  

But there's a possible idea for next time; we all make unfortunate mistakes and many of us make some extremely frustrating ones.  Like others said, there were probably avenues with Laguna to check out before throwing in the towel (as in count to 10 - or 100 before acting.)

Can't seem to edit; let me say that

- your resolution wasn't so bad that I should be lecturing you, and

- I think you made a better decision than me, going for the 3hp model; my 1.5hp model might be underpowered; I pick up sawdust in the bag that's s'posed to not get much of anything.

Guest Randy
17 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

Can't seem to edit; let me say that

- your resolution wasn't so bad that I should be lecturing you, and

- I think you made a better decision than me, going for the 3hp model; my 1.5hp model might be underpowered; I pick up sawdust in the bag that's s'posed to not get much of anything.

My Oneida functions a little differently. There is just a bin and the filter; no bag. If larger particles end up in the filter there is probably a leak in the seals somewhere. If it's just fine dust in your Laguna bag it's probably normal. I doubt it means that it's under powered. 

If it's being used as a central DC, meaning on a ducted system...then 1.5hp is most definitely underpowered.  I have a 2hp and it needs about 3 more hp to work the way it should...and I vent outside so I have no filter impedance.

If you roll your DC around and hook it up with a three foot hose every time you swap tools, you're closer to acceptable.  A ducted system requires a lot more power.  Little 2hp units are not even close to efficient in a ducted system.  They'll pick up the bulk of the mess but they don't do diddly for the fines.

Guest Randy

I have a 1.5 HP Oneida V with about a 12' central run and 3 drops reduced to 4" with gates at each drop. Only use one tool at a time and keep the other gates closed. The air movement and result is more than suffucient for my table saw, planer, jointer, router table, bandsaw used individually. Since I'm only one person I can use only one at a time anyway. Don't know how the Laguna compares with the Oneida V in cfm.

99% of the people I know will go crazy when a small scratch shows up on their cars and they will suffer from sleep deprivation until they have it fixed no matter the cost.

PS: I don't like cats default_biggrin.png

99% ? Wow Daniel, you have a lot of crazy friends. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2017 at 12:13 PM, SplinteredDave said:

...I will probably get the exact same unit to replace it...

I am going to resurrect this post because I'm interested in the same Laguna PFlux 3.  And it's 10% off at Woodcraft.

@SplinteredDave Did you ever replace your unit.  Did you go with the PFlux 3 again and if so how is it working for you? @jplemons Did you ever go with this?

I have been putting off DC for a while as I'm hoping to move in the foreseeable future.  But if I keep making dust at this rate moving will be easier than cleaning the place.  Height restrictions dictate less than 84" tall if I want to have complete mobility so the PFlux is appealing at 80" on wheels.  

The Oneida V series looks like a good system, but the 3 HP is 88" with no wheels.  That could fit, but only in one half of the shop.  

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

The Oneida V series looks like a good system, but the 3 HP is 88" with no wheels.  That could fit, but only in one half of the shop.  

I'm not sure that the V series  cyclones are meant to be mobile. The stand that I bought with the 1 1/2 HP version is stationary.  Unless you have some substantial needs and/or are going to collect from more than one machine at a time, the 1 1/2HP V series should work. Of course, it would depend on how much duct work you have, but I have mine installed with one main line of about 15' in length with 3 drops with gates. I only use one machine at a time and close the gates for the drops not in use. It handles my planer, jointer, router table, or bandsaw with no problem. I believe the V1500 is under 84" mounted on the stand. Oneida should be able to help you determine if the V1500 will work. I have always gotten good advice from them.