New Laguna Dust Collectors

jplemons

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Mark J said:

I am going to resurrect this post because I'm interested in the same Laguna PFlux 3.  And it's 10% off at Woodcraft.

@SplinteredDave Did you ever replace your unit.  Did you go with the PFlux 3 again and if so how is it working for you? @jplemons Did you ever go with this?

I have been putting off DC for a while as I'm hoping to move in the foreseeable future.  But if I keep making dust at this rate moving will be easier than cleaning the place.  Height restrictions dictate less than 84" tall if I want to have complete mobility so the PFlux is appealing at 80" on wheels.  

The Oneida V series looks like a good system, but the 3 HP is 88" with no wheels.  That could fit, but only in one half of the shop.  

I ended up with a Clearvue CV1800.  Bought a special unit that allowed the filters to operate side by side vs stacked.  That allowed it to fit with my height restrictions.  Mobility was not a concern for me.

2 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

I ended up with a Clearvue CV1800.  Bought a special unit that allowed the filters to operate side by side vs stacked.  That allowed it to fit with my height restrictions.  Mobility was not a concern for me.

I put the CV1800 in my shop, no regrets works flawlessly, customer service was outstanding!  The clean out box was damaged when I received it, they sent me another, it was damaged, Cathy at CV said she would personally bring one if the next one was damaged.  She personally checked the 3rd clean out before it shipped and it arrived fully in tact.

On 10/15/2017 at 3:16 PM, Mark J said:

I am going to resurrect this post because I'm interested in the same Laguna PFlux 3.  And it's 10% off at Woodcraft.

@SplinteredDave Did you ever replace your unit.  Did you go with the PFlux 3 again and if so how is it working for you? @jplemons Did you ever go with this?

I have been putting off DC for a while as I'm hoping to move in the foreseeable future.  But if I keep making dust at this rate moving will be easier than cleaning the place.  Height restrictions dictate less than 84" tall if I want to have complete mobility so the PFlux is appealing at 80" on wheels.  

The Oneida V series looks like a good system, but the 3 HP is 88" with no wheels.  That could fit, but only in one half of the shop.  

I went with the PFlux 1.5 and am completely satisfied with it.

9 hours ago, SplinteredDave said:

Could you tell me how tall your unit is?

Do you think the unit would be too heavy to mobilize?

18 hours ago, Mark J said:

Could you tell me how tall your unit is?

Do you think the unit would be too heavy to mobilize?

Sorry, Mark, you may have misunderstood me.  My unit is wall mounted, thus "mobility was not a concern for me".  Sorry for the confusion.  Would it be possible to make a CV1800 mobile? I guess anything is possible but it would be quite top heavy as you point out.

My side by side config looks like this.cv1800sidebysideWynns.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the helpful discussion.  

Wish I could do the Oneida or ClearVue.  I think they are better dust collectors, but given my height restrictions I think the Laguna models are the best option.  Certainly a taller cyclone section than on the Jets.

And I think it will do a fine job in its own right.   Certainly it will be better than the current solution which is a window fan.  OK in July, not so much in January.

I'm also interested in the Laguna PFlux 3. Somebody on Woodtalkonline must have a 3 hp Laguna, CFlux or PFlux. I went through the specs a couple of weeks ago and the Laguna compares well to Oneida and Clearvue when you consider CFM and static pressure. The bin seems really well thought out and easy to empty. On paper it seems head and shoulders above the Jet models. It also seems very similar to the JDS units that you can no longer get. 

I guess the only real knock is the height of the cyclone. Many people have commented that the shorter cyclones don't separate as well. Are those comments based on real world experience or just speculation? I get the theoretical part but are we talking a small percentage or a whole lot. I mean why not make all cyclones at least 15 ft high if height is so important? After studying on this a bit I see the cyclone shape is different and maybe the impeller design is a little different too. Maybe these design differences together make it have a similar separation factor. Maybe not. 

Anyway the bottom line is does anyone have a 3 hp unit? If so, can you tell us how it performs at separation and what you are basing the performance on or comparing to? It would be invaluable to hear from someone who has experience with a CV or Oneida and the Laguna. As a matter of comparison does anyone have a 3 hp JDS dust collector? Thanks for any insight...

I think the thing about the cyclone shape is not actually the height, but that the ideal configuration is an 11 degree cone angle.  Given that angle the cone will tend to be rather tall.  

Then you add the impeller and the motor to drive it, then put that all on top of a large drum and presto you are at 8 feet or more in overall height.

I believe the Clearvue and Oneida are more efficient designs, and that 5 hp is more effective than 3 hp, which is more effective than 1 hp.  

But I also believe there is only so much you can do -- and that doing that "so much" is way better than doing nothing.

Given my height restrictions, the Laguna designs looked like the best compromise. Looking at them I think the cone is probably flatter than 11 degrees.

I value lower noise enough that I went with the more expensive P Flux rather than the C Flux.  And 3 HP is as high as they go.

My thinking anyway.

• 2 months later...

Tah Dah!

20171223_111238.thumb.jpg.1eac20cd9228f36fd36ea1d51a97cf0e.jpg

@elrodk I took delivery via Woodcraft store in early November, but couldn't move it from the garage to the basement until this last week.  Then there was "some assembly required" as in like 3 days.

I turned this puppy on and my wife was down the stairs in about 2 minutes to see what the hell was going on.  This is the quiet model, but quiet is a relative concept.  I think it's quieter than the pancake compressor, but that may not be saying much.

I still have to get some flex hose and set up some kind dust hood at the lathe.  So I can't yet report on performance.  But I can say it certainly moves a lot of air.

The written assembly instructions are almost worthless.  The assembly video at the Laguna web site on the other hand is very good.  I ended up with 4 washers left over that I am convinced were included by mistake.  The parts bags are almost all labelled, and the ones that are not were easy to figure out.

Someone on the forum (I can't find the post) also mentioned to me that he had problems with dust going to the filter rather than the drum which was remedied when Laguna sent out a narrow bar to be affixed to the bottom of the cone.  This bar was included, but there was no mention of it in the instructions.  It can be added or removed after the thing is built.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CV 1800: 1440 mind you this is 5hp

Oneidas are 1340 difference between the V and pro is the performance undervaccuum with the pro being about to move the same ammount under more pressure diffference

Laguna is rated at 1650

this all means nothing when  each duct setup is different.