Twin Twin Beds

Denette

Should I be the one that says it?....  Go get a Festool 1400 and a track..  no drift there!  Drink the Koolaid!! 

Just kidding.  

Well, go to your local polling place and vote in a way that results in teachers being paid enough to afford one!

• Like 2

Well, mostly success. The framework for the cubbies is in, and fit into place square and snug, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to apply clamping pressure to the middle of the base.

b1cc43a55edaedc015ae987aa5738cb0.jpg

Here's a picture of the problem area, followed by a close-up.

b0ab4afb89226d78a56cd20fc932554e.jpg0a2db7936e6d25d8205a1283bc94b47e.jpg

I tried about five different ways to get a scrapwood-and-clamp caul across to get some pressure on that spot, but it is just too far in. The clamps are far enough apart that I can't hold one in place to get the other side of the caul together, and even if I could get the caul set up the span is so great that the caul would just bend rather than the plywood settling into place.

It's not the most serious problem in the world, because even with that little gap this thing will still be built like a tank, but I'd rather it be just right.

I'm open to suggestions.

The caul needs to be stronger than the plywood for it to work...what material were you using for cauls?

Well, I have a few different things - some ash, some poplar, some oak - but I never really even got to that point because I wasn't able to get to the point where I could apply pressure. I can't hold two parallel clamps up in the air on two sides of the board and also simultaneously put the cauls into place, and also simultaneously tighten the two clamps while I'm holding them and the cauls in place. I'm probably just going about it wrong.

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

On my large PC router the round baseplate is offset 1 /32 on one side. So if you route using a straightedge you can make a follow up pass which removes 1 /32 and gives you a much cleaner cut. Making test cuts & careful set up are nessasary. 

Now that's a nice feature!  Mine seems to be offset 1", which seems like an odd feature.  I can't think of when having that 1" difference would be particularly handy.

A little more progress this morning!  I got the other large panel onto the first bed, and things straightened out a lot once it was in place.  Everything was  bit wobbly without it.  

IMG_6816.JPG

I've learned a good bit on the first one.  Hopefully, Lord willing, the second one will go much more smoothly and quickly.

4 hours ago, Sac said:

Looking good. Love the Jorgy clamps.  Its a shame that they closed up shop.

I know, right?  Their clamps are pretty great.  And I love orange, so there's that.

I got the first base cabinet assembled just about an hour ago, and gave it a little strength test:

The second frame is going together MUCH more easily than the first.  

2 hours ago, mat60 said:

I done see that going anywhere. Nice work also.

Bet you meant don't see, unless you talk like some of the hillbillies here in Houston;)

On December 21, 2016 at 2:34 PM, JosephThomas said:

Here's something to watch, I linked to it at the right time in the video...note that he's only using one caul underneath, because using one on top wouldn't really do anything to the horizontal panel:

Joseph, how do you put just a portion of a video in? Can it be done on an iPad? PM me when you get a chance so as not to hj this. Thanks

• Like 1

The trim pieces are almost ready to go. I cut to rough length (using the stacked bed-cabinets for a work surface because, well, why not?) and jointed one face and edge, then after lunch I planed to thickness and ripped to appropriate width going by my cut diagram I drew up in Sketchup. I've had a lot of time to scope out this project, so it's moving along pretty quickly! Tomorrow through Monday progress will be slow-to-nonexistent because of Christmas, but on Tuesday I'll be back kicking butt and taking names.

My plans and the boards prior to working them at all:

e040a25cd6eebf0355118b70154572a0.jpg

The end result as of 8:30 pm:

be9f3a404a01067d648f024535fe3da9.jpg

Trim boards are on the table saw, on top of the beds, on the floor to the left of the saw - it's a lot of pieces. None are cut to length yet, but I'm getting pretty close!

Also, while I was planing the boards for the bed, I couldn't resist milling up just one board of the 8/4 ash I got for my Roubo, which I'll work on as soon as this project is finished. It's so pretty! It's so heavy! And milled from the jointer to the planer, the final thickness is 1 ⅞"! I measured the rest of the rough ash boards and I think they're closer to 9/4. I'm excited.

• Like 2

Looking good! I was going to ask if you had planned on finishing the cabinet insides before putting the top panel on, but it looks like I missed the boat on that one. I find spraying inside boxes like that gets a little messy in the back corners.

-E

I probably would have, but my client hasn't gotten back to me on a paint color yet. Oh well.

Got some more done today - the headboards are coming together!

301d1e7fc20d0ffbb16002eb1fddbf13.jpg

They're going together with glue and brads, and clamps while drying. I've never felt more like Norm.

• Like 1

Today's work was mainly on the headboards. Things went smoothly, though I had to call an audible on the thickness of the trim on the headboard interior. It looked too chunky and fat at full thickness, and it would also have been a nightmare to get it perfectly flush. I planed it down to a little under half an inch and it looks pretty good! I didn't measure the long board and instead scribed it and cut it to fit. I got to use my stocking stuffer, the Veritas scribing knife, and that little dude is nice!

f1afca3a43ff6a4830d5f8a337c4408c.jpg1059634fccf7520fa7fd7e8617e8d140.jpg23a05c8876ef4919d0aede2e9b959650.jpg

• Like 1