Twin Twin Beds

Denette

7 hours ago, Denette said:

Thanks for the kind words!  Up close it's a little less pretty though.  I'm not sure what went wrong that caused it.  Lots of big globs of paint splattering out rather than a fine mist like I expected.  I've only used my HVLP for oil-based finishes before, and those were a huge pain (and waste of mineral spirits) to clean out of the sprayer.  This time I  opted for latex paint because it would be easier to clean up.  The paint is super thick, so I cut it roughly 2/3 paint to 1/3 water after it seemed to glop up the HVLP when I tested it, but to be honest it still wasn't super fine.  I don't want to cut it too far with water, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm doing.  I assumed that it'd spray a super-fine mist like a spray paint can, but instead it sprays in a pattern not unlike the splatter from popping a wet towel.  I tried turning my HVLP speed all the way up and all the way down, and that didn't seem to help...  

I really hate paint.

I do too, lol. 

Someone here (I think @wdwerker ) rec'd this latext paint additive (or similar) and I saved a link to this one at the borg, you'll probably have better luck with that compared to water...honestly thinning it with water requires mixing really well with a drill-powered mixer in my experience (I was painting walls, not furniture, but still).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Floetrol-1-qt-Clear-Latex-Paint-Additive-FLD6-04/100198078?MERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-100198078-_-N

Nice job though...sand down the defects, fill where necessary, give it another light coat.

• Like 1

Good suggestions all around! Picked up some floetrol for latex, a stirrer for my drill, and a few filter cones to boot.

Now riddle me this, WoodTalk community. I went to sand the first coat smooth with some 220 grit sandpaper in my ROS. At first things were good, things went from this:

56a705ae8d0597f30f76316c850e60b1.jpg

To this:

36b779a60a9712853fc73aa49d8e0226.jpg

Admittedly removing more paint than I wanted to, but it's baby-butt smooth. I figure the floetrol will help make the next coats go a little farther and need less sanding.

But the next several spots I tried to sand globes up on me like so:

418e1e88b596bcd64b36480d8979cc92.jpg

It's not easy to sand down, and to really get things perfectly smooth when these globs start to form I'd have to take the whole spot back to bare wood. Is this problem an indication, as I suspect, that the paint is dry only on the surface and not beneath? The first coat was pretty thick.

Globs will happen with friction on a loaded pad as well. Lighten up and sand by hand. Latex does not like the friction. 

Interesting, I hadn't considered that. I'll try lowering the speed on my ROS first, I'm out of everything but 5" disc sandpaper at the moment.

Well, overall I'm happy with the finish, though the final texture surprised me a bit! The spot I posted a photo of earlier, where there was too much finish, leveled beautifully:

03a99cab782d59daac0df007525c434a.jpg

The surprise is that somehow the paint/poly/floetrol mix ended up looking very pleasantly textured, not unlike a stucco wall treatment but much finer. I am actually pretty pumped about it, I think it looks great and does a nice job of obscuring imperfections as well. Not sure if this is actually user error or some odd reaction from adding those three together in one sprayer, but I like it.

952dab3adfadea9591af240ce074915b.jpg2bafc42952a0b5203966d9e35af51e62.jpgee57120eb49780a8d62bbd9b4ff05e95.jpg

After it all dried, I took the headboard off. I'm spraying the bare wood with some rattlecan poly I had around the shop just to protect it from moisture, but not planning on adding anything else to it. I'm afraid the paint's thickness or latex' tendency to flake off would cause problems.

1d4ecc6b5e7f2ef1e6cf09d8e2a2813b.jpg79f11e411fb38b06fd64ae252818166e.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on whether the bed's underside should receive any treatment at all? Once it goes down the only way the underside is getting wet is if a hurricane hits (unlikely in central AR) or a water main explodes, I guess.

Any thoughts on my plans for treating these last two bits?

These look great, especially to see it go from Sketchup to actual furniture.  I think the finish looks good.  I'd be afraid to try to do anything to the bottom now for fear that it would screw up the finish on the top that looks so even.  Maybe hand paint the bottom if you really wanted to, or clear coat the whole thing?

• Like 1

I get nervous leaving solid wood coated on only one side. I have seen too many things warp. I prefer something over nothing. Often it is just shellac or a single coat of finish. I never go through the entire schedule. 

Good point! It's a good thing the underside is almost all plywood. The underside of the face frame isn't painted, but it's glued & nailed so well to the support piece that runs behind it that I doubt the frame could go anywhere. The only real solid wood I'd leave exposed is on the inside of the legs of the headboard, which will all be bolted. Think it'll still be a movement risk if it is never exposed to air and bolted in place? The only time it'll ever get air is during moves when you take the headboard off.

21 minutes ago, Denette said:

Good point! It's a good thing the underside is almost all plywood. The underside of the face frame isn't painted, but it's glued & nailed so well to the support piece that runs behind it that I doubt the frame could go anywhere. The only real solid wood I'd leave exposed is on the inside of the legs of the headboard, which will all be bolted. Think it'll still be a movement risk if it is never exposed to air and bolted in place? The only time it'll ever get air is during moves when you take the headboard off.

You've got two conflicting ideas here and I won't push either very hard. I have old pieces with unbalanced coverage. Whether lost voodoo, virgin old growth, or undetectable other sealants they still seem ok. I would not panic. My preference to single coat is just born of my experience with repair of mid-level furniture. I find a fair amount of warped panels with single sided coverage. I would not panic to cover what you describe. 

I have made some very good progress over the last several days and got the first bed 100% done. After having significant problems with the grain raising after the first coat of paint on the first bed, I decided that for the second one I would look up pre-finish grain raising techniques. I found a pretty good video from the woodworkers Guild of America, and the second bed is currently sitting on the sawhorses that I had used to finish the first one. I put water in my airless HVLP sprayer. Bed number two is currently a tad damp and otherwise unfinished. Later tonight I plan to go out and, once it is dry, sand down the raised grain and apply the first coat of paint. Hopefully this one will paint up a bit more quickly since I won't have to sand through most of the first coat of paint.

• Like 1

I don't recall if it was mentioned, but a wash coat of shellac provides a great base for paint, and prevents further raised grain. Its also a bit easier to sand smooth. The smoother the surface, the better your paint will look.

I had thought of that and would have done it if bed #2 hadn't already gotten a bit of overspray from the first bed during the very first coat, so its grain was already somewhat raised. On a side note, why does water raise the grain but oils and alcohols don't?