Straight edge for setting up tools

bushwacked

I've read steel is best. But haven't seen anyone selling more than a 36" is that big enough for jointer etc etc?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,240,45313&p=56676

For a 50" all I can find is something like this for half price of veritas

50" Anodized Aluminum Straight Edge Guaranteed Straight to Within .005" Over Full 50" Length SE50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CGDO4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_X9ctyb44RJXS4

If you have 12" jointer with 96" beds then you probably want to spend the extra money for a 50". If you have an 8" or smaller jointer then 36" is going to do just fine. Most folks get by with a level and never bother with a devoted single purpose straight edge. And aluminum is fine so long as you don't drop it down a set of stairs.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I have the 36" LV steel one and setup 76" jointer beds, 52" tablesaw wings and so forth.  It is long and stable enough for measuring the delta between the reference and the target.  I am setting up machines for use, not certifying them.  Don't get me wrong, .001" is a reasonable target when aligning machines as far as I'm concerned so I'm not sloppy about it :)

I also have the long feeler gauges that LV sells; they are much handier than the short ones for me.  The 36" steel straight edge has worked well for my applications and I have the 12" one for space limited areas. 

The aluminum items are fine and reportedly stable in wide temperature swings, at least on the forum posts I read.  Like any aluminum fence, rule or guide, they're light and easy to work with; just don't whack them. 

I won't mention that we all probably know someone who could damage a steel straight edge as easily as an aluminum one so I am not saying they are inferior at all.  Curse the subtleties lost in the written word :wacko:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

This may be what I actually go with because I could use it for more than just setting up.

While that's true, I don't use it for anything but set-up. I want it to be precise when I get into setting up a machine, because I'm not good at set-up and I need every advantage I can get. I always keep it in its case and I'm very careful to not bump or drop it. I have a cheap carpenter's yard stick if I need a day-to-day graduated ruler type thing. But then again...I'm kind of a klutz at times.:wacko:

While that's true, I don't use it for anything but set-up. I want it to be precise when I get into setting up a machine, because I'm not good at set-up and I need every advantage I can get. I always keep it in its case and I'm very careful to not bump or drop it. I have a cheap carpenter's yard stick if I need a day-to-day graduated ruler type thing. But then again...I'm kind of a klutz at times.:wacko:

Does it feel kinda cheap to where you think you could easily bend it out of alignment?

9 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Does it feel kinda cheap to where you think you could easily bend it out of alignment?

No. Not at all. It is really well made. But I baby it because it is supposed to be super precise. It's pretty pricey for a straight edge so if I dinged it up I would be sad. I really rely on it being good to go when it comes to set up. I don't verify its "true-ness" each time I use it and it has not let me down the couple dozen times I've used it to set up or check the settings on my machines.

I have the Veritas 50" and thought I would use it just for machines but found it has plenty of other uses. Not cheap but quality and will last a lifetime. 

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=50074&cat=1,240,45313&ap=1

Good to know as well. Glad it can be used for more than just setting up machinery and if you don't drop it you should be good using it for a long time.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:40 PM, bushwacked said:

This may be what I actually go with because I could use it for more than just setting up.

If you go with the woodpecker look into the centering rule. It is the same as the one you are looking at but on one side the zero is in the center and numbered out from there in both directions.  I find it hand for certain layouts.