Drawer rails.

For shop drawers, I've been using Columbia purebond birch plywood in 3/4 for the front and back and 1/2 for the sides and bottoms. Home Depot carries it and it is pretty decent at at a good price. It has a poplar core in my area.

I have been using 3/8 fluted dowels to that go all the way through the sides. Makes a good shop drawer when used with ball bearing slides.

I wouldn't try to make box joints with plywood.

Home Depot also has the same purebond plywood with maple face veneers and poplar core. Columbia uses different cores in different parts of the country. So your location may mean that the cores will be made from something else.

Wwhardware.com has sales this time of year on full extension side mount ball bearing slides. Ball bearing slides are way cheaper from them than big box stores. For shop drawers, I find the full extension ball bearing slides the be worth the cost.

2 hours ago, sapling111276 said:

Yeah, I am actually going to make the top out of glued up 2x4s and top with hardboard 

Glued-up 2x4s should make for a pretty stable top, since they'll basically hold one another in place.  Do you plan on gluing them up to make the top 2" thick or 4" thick (nominal thickness, obv.)?  4" thick would be far less likely to warp on you.  Also you might want to take into consideration that 2x4 lumber isn't square at the corners, so you'll have grooves where the rounded corners meet at the glue joints unless you run the boards across a jointer, through a planer, or across a table saw to trim the round over prior to gluing them up.  But, then, if you're topping it with hardboard the roundovers might not matter if they don't bother you and don't make the hardboard sit unevenly.

Regardless, I'd really recommend gluing so that the 4" dimension is the thickness - so much more stability, plus you might even be able to drill holes for bench dogs and the like.

OK so just got tapatalk and I was navigating around in it since I have never used it before.

Denette I plan to cut away the rounded edges. The actual bench is made from doubled up 2x4s that I ripped as square as possible and then used a bench plane to flatten to my liking. I will probably do the same thing here.

Update on the drawer project***:

So I again want to thank everyone for their input. It had given me a lot to think about and for a bit it actually left me a little torn on what to do, so here is what I did; I didn't want to put up the cash for the plywood I would be using so I had to make a choice. I found a software program that let's you put dimensions in and it will configure the best cut pattern to save wood/money. I was able to determine that 2 sheets would be enough for my project (I even had left over for test cuts). I went to home Depot because I have their credit card but I decided to go with what I was already working with "radiata pine plywood". This stuff is $29 a panel and suites my needs for a workbench. I decided to also go with the drawer slides so I will be filling the dados that I made on the bench carcasses. I will post pics of my progress. The drawers are all cut to size and just need the draw bottom channel cut in and then glue up.

Oh and I went with a drawer joint (Dado and tongue joint) which is pretty easy once you get the saw dialed in.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, sapling111276 said:

I have it up against a jig stop. Some of the cuts show missing meat between the plies. I was assuming it was the quality of the wood. 

Glad you got that worked through and the drawer unit looks good. This craft is an ongoing learning experience and that's a lot of the attraction for many.

The likelihood of a home center having Baltic Birch plywood is non-existent around here.  At my yard I can get 60" x 60" sheets in two grades; B/BB with a clear front face / patches allowed on the back and BB/BB with patches allowed on both faces.  The real deal is identifiable (but not absolutely) by an odd number of plys with the outer plys being nice and thick with the grain oriented in the same direction front and back.

This is B/BB right off the table saw using a box joint jig and a Freud SD-508 dado stack.  I did not use a backer board but, the jig has a replaceable backer insert that handles that.  I also do not count on my grip being adequate and use a clamp to hold that material against the rear fence/backer.

Plane Till (18).jpg

I make my fingers a smidge long so I can sand them flush.

Plane Till (5).jpg

I have never had any of the BB ply I get around here look like what you are working with.

I have done similar joinery on lesser types of plywood.  To avoid tear out and delamination I sandwich the "keeper" between two pieces of scrap.  Except for any voids in the material that cause blowout this pretty well tames the ragged results.

• Like 1