Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Batman!

Tom Cancelleri

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Very nice.  I mean, its not really woodworking, just programming a computer, but cool nonetheless. :)

Now head into the city and get me a sammich.  

Actually, I hand planed the wood I used because it was 1am, and I can't run my Clearvue that late because it's loud and vents outside. Also, the joinery (1/8" dowel) was cut by hand, and drilled by hand using old world techniques. I also chamfered around the eyes with a flexcut detail carving knife. Followed by some hand sanding. I also used my bandsaw to cut out the batman mask shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Actually, I hand planed the wood I used because it was 1am, and I can't run my Clearvue that late because it's loud and vents outside. Also, the joinery (1/8" dowel) was cut by hand, and drilled by hand using old world techniques. I also chamfered around the eyes with a flexcut detail carving knife. Followed by some hand sanding. I also used my bandsaw to cut out the batman mask shape. 

Well I would say that covers it - from hand tools to computer driven tools.

• Like 2

Excellent work!

Any tool is practically useless unless placed in the hands of a craftsman.  It's up to the craftsman to wield that tool to make something beautiful.   It doesn't matter if it's a hand plane or a CNC, the tool won't produce without someone using it correctly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arbiterr said:

I love it! Which CNC machine do you have? I've been looking at shapeoko 3 and x carve so far. 

I have the XCarve 2015 version with the recent XController upgrade kit with the solid X Axis rail. I made a few modifications to stiffen up the Y axis. If you are thorough and meticulous with your build and setup, it's a solid machine with more than enough capability for what I use it for. I'm not cutting cabinet parts and making flatpack ikea furniture with it. It's perfect for inlays and detail cutting I've got bits from 24 thousandths to 1" cutting heads. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I have the XCarve 2015 version with the recent XController upgrade kit with the solid X Axis rail. I made a few modifications to stiffen up the Y axis. If you are thorough and meticulous with your build and setup, it's a solid machine with more than enough capability for what I use it for. I'm not cutting cabinet parts and making flatpack ikea furniture with it. It's perfect for inlays and detail cutting I've got bits from 24 thousandths to 1" cutting heads. 

Sounds perfect, i was really tempted to get their clearance 2016 model a few months ago, next time I just might pounce on it. did you do any 3D engraving with it yet? 

15 minutes ago, arbiterr said:

Sounds perfect, i was really tempted to get their clearance 2016 model a few months ago, next time I just might pounce on it. did you do any 3D engraving with it yet? 

I was recently talking with Llama about needing to get into doing some 3d carving. I got the clearance unit before they announced the new version. They had a blowout sale on it. Was $1000 with no wasteboard. I bought bits from drillbits unlimited.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 10:43 AM, Tom Cancelleri said:

I was recently talking with Llama about needing to get into doing some 3d carving. I got the clearance unit before they announced the new version. They had a blowout sale on it. Was $1000 with no wasteboard. I bought bits from drillbits unlimited.

would love to follow your updates on the 3d front.  

Ill aim for their next sale and check out drillbits unlimited for their prices. thanks.