Purple Heart finish

Scott Meggison

i think if you keep it out of direct sunlight it will keep its color longer but it will fade at some point, i made a recipe box for my daughter a year ago and its still purple, finished it with 3 coats of ARS, not sure if there is a UV finish out there, this is a great place and I'm sure others with more experience will comment soon.

Finishes will slow down the color change but nothing will stop it.  Mother Nature always wins in the end.  If someone tells you otherwise, they're ignorant or lying.

As if another reason was needed to not use purple heart...well, there it is.  I always say the biggest problem with purple heart is...wait for it...it's purple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Finishes will slow down the color change but nothing will stop it.  Mother Nature always wins in the end.  If someone tells you otherwise, they're ignorant or lying.

As if another reason was needed to not use purple heart...well, there it is.  I always say the biggest problem with purple heart is...wait for it...it's purple.

Purple is awesome, especially paired with Gold.  Geaux Tigers!

• Like 1

First off, thanks for all the thoughts on PH. 

Eric: Definitely too Purple for most uses. That's why I haven't used it much. However as a small accent it can be dramatic.

I am going to publicly display my ignorance ( I have lots of experience at this).  What is ARS? I assume this is an abbreviation for some type of finish. Just not familiar with it. 

I am thinking of using PH for rectangular drawer pulls. When the color fades in a few years, can I sand and refinish the PH to regain the color or is the color fade too deep?

26 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Purple is awesome, especially paired with Gold.  Geaux Tigers!

.... If only I had the power of the ban hammer :P 

25 minutes ago, Scott Meggison said:

First off, thanks for all the thoughts on PH. 

Eric: Definitely too Purple for most uses. That's why I haven't used it much. However as a small accent it can be dramatic.

I am going to publicly display my ignorance ( I have lots of experience at this).  What is ARS? I assume this is an abbreviation for some type of finish. Just not familiar with it. 

I am thinking of using PH for rectangular drawer pulls. When the color fades in a few years, can I sand and refinish the PH to regain the color or is the color fade too deep?

ARS is Arm R Seal

Just now, Bulldog said:

Dallas, hmm I doubt you are a SMU fan that hates LSU that much, so I'm guessing UT?  If so, I really really wanted Herman.  

hah! SMU is my alma mater ... dont like UT or A&M or Tech and not really even TCU for that matter. I am a ND fan because of Rudy when I was little :) somewhat a fan of OK and OK ST.

Ive got some purplehert projects inside. Still purple after a couple years. I like waterbased finishes on it because it doesnt change the color like oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, i didnt mean that water based finishes will prevent the purple from going brown over time. Just that the finish itself wont dull the purple when applied. Oil tends to subdue that bright purple color almost immediately making it look more burgundy/brown.

Im still expecting my projects to brown out over time so id say if combining with other species, keep that in mind so it still looks good when it changes years later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Scott Meggison said:

You could but c'mon man...would you really want to?  And by the way...you won't.  Once that project is done, it's done.  You won't go back and refinish those pulls.  Ya just won't.

If you're building a chest of drawers for a six year old girl, I guess I could see the justification.  But that girl is going to be an adult one day and dollars to donuts she would appreciate cherry pulls better once she's grown.  Everything I see with purple heart involved is so...clownish.

I did it when I first started too, because like I heard Marc say once..."I could."  I quickly grew out of it, thank dog.  It's hideous.  Subtle, warm, earthy colors are almost always used in the best looking pieces.

14 hours ago, Scott Meggison said:

After reading and thinking about all of the above great info, I think I will use the PH for carving knife handles.  Thanks to everyone for the input

Never heard of anyone carving purpleheart. Stuff is hard as nails. Let us know how that turns out.

On 2/2/2017 at 8:24 AM, Eric. said:

I usually finish purpleheart with fire. Takes care of any future issues.

• Like 1