18" Walnut Lazy Susan

difalkner

That's gunna look nice with the pieces all switched around.

Can you explain cutting the strips then drum sanding them? In all the boards I've made, walking pieces during glue up is what needs flattened. If your blank was good and you cross cut them at the same size at 90°, they should already be all the same sizes. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

That's gunna look nice with the pieces all switched around.

Can you explain cutting the strips then drum sanding them? In all the boards I've made, walking pieces during glue up is what needs flattened. If your blank was good and you cross cut them at the same size at 90°, they should already be all the same sizes. What am I missing?

In the first glue up a few strips shifted slightly and need sanding.  Additionally, in a board and glue up of this size it is almost inevitable that there will be a slight amount of bowing, even if only 1/64".  I figured to get a 19" x 16" board completely flat I would lose as much as 1/16" of thickness and I don't want to give that up.  That much loss on the big board becomes 1/16" loss on each strip when it is cut, which in this case is 9 strips so that would be a 9/16" loss overall.  Make sense?

This is the first time I've done it this way but also the first time I've had dimensions where I couldn't run it through my small planer (old DeWalt - 12.5"?? not sure how wide it is).  If the glue up had gong perfectly with no shifting and no bow at all I would have run it through the drum sander - SuperMax 19-38.  As it is I'll run the small strips through until they're clean, making certain they're all very close to the same thickness, and then glue it up.

Here's the shift I mentioned; it is small but coupled with a tiny amount of bow this could amount to a significant loss in thickness.

006%20-%20Shifted%20boards_zpsmzp0sedm.j

• 3 weeks later...

That turned out very cool!  Just curious if you had any thoughts of recessing the bearing in the bottom?  Regardless, looks great as is!

Also, where did you get your bearing from?  I like that a lot better than the ones I've been picking up!

Thanks!  Briefly considered recessing the bearing but as it is there's only about 1/2" clearance; much less and it's hard to get your fingers under it.  I recessed for the outer race because it was slightly proud of the inner race but the friend I'm making this for said to leave it like it is.  The next one I do might be recessed further - who knows...?

It came from Amazon, 12" Low profile Lazy Susan bearing

David

LOL!  Yes, it can suck some money, for sure.  And very little tangible to show for it like you get in woodworking. I've been doing photography since about 1973 and have some really neat landscape shots but nobody asks to see my photos - they do ask to see what I've built in the shop, though.

Btw, don't assume I know what all that stuff is; I was just trying to impress y'all. ;)

• 2 weeks later...