getting my new saw off the pallet

byegge

so my new grizzly saw just showed up and i quickly unboxed everything wanting to start the assembly and it struck me. How the hell does one get this saw off the two pallets that it sits on.  My friend and were talking about buying a harbor freight engine hoist and simply returning it or setting up a block and tackle system on the roof of my garage. Im sure we can just man handle it off. i will have 4 available friends, none of witch are body builders, but where can i grab the saw by. can the whole thing be lifted by the top or do we need to get underneath some how. I know many of you have done this and im probably way overthinking it. any tips would be great. thanks. 

I have the 690, and while it was somewhat of a pain, getting the base off of the pallet wasn't to bad.   With out the cast top attached it is not that heavy.  I was able to do it by myself.  Of course I was much younger then.... Congrats on the saw!

Trying to leave the top on. From what I've read these saws are pretty dead on from the factory. Got a few friends coming over after work tomorrow. But it will take more than a few beers. Thanks everyone for the response. Pretty excited to get it up and running. Gave my jet contractor saw to my brother before we moved to our new house. 

5 minutes ago, byegge said:

From what I've read these saws are pretty dead on from the factory

Personally I would not count on this.  You should take the time to go through the saw setup step by step.  My saw was "usable", but taking the time to tune it made it great. 

Do yourself a favor and remove the machine from the pallet, level the machine and go through your alignment before you bolt on the wings, fence rails, etc.  It just makes everything so much quicker and easier.  You may need to do a small tweak once the wings and rails are on but, you've got to align the fence anyway so this is small potatoes.

I just slid the saw to the edge of the pallet, and worked it onto the mobile base without the wings and fence.  A 2nd person can be helpful.  

The saws are dead on from the factory, but things can shift in transit.  The top is sometimes shimmed to be perfectly aligned with the guts of the saw, so if you do remove the top, be sure to watch for the shims and replace them exactly as they came with the saw.  Also if you remove the top, don't assume the shims will stay seated on the cabinet...they can stick the top as well, so check underneath too!  

If you haven't already, it's a great time to treat yourself and your new saw to a decent blade so you maximize it's potential.  Hang the stock blade on the wall for junk cuts.

Congrats, and good luck!

New blade will be next. Hard enough to justify the saw purchase to the boss let alone a 120 blade. Got friends showing up in about an hour so we will see how it goes. I still need to figure out exactly where I want it so I can wire an outlet. That's next weekend though. 

1 hour ago, byegge said:

New blade will be next. Hard enough to justify the saw purchase to the boss let alone a 120 blade. Got friends showing up in about an hour so we will see how it goes. I still need to figure out exactly where I want it so I can wire an outlet. That's next weekend though. 

Give them beer after you move the saw. ;)

16 hours ago, byegge said:

A great saw with a mediocre blade will be reduced to mediocre performance....it makes sense to put a good blade on it.  An excellent blade doesn't need to cost $120 either.  There's a really good general purpose blades starting around $30 shipped (Delta Industrial 35-7657 closeout, and some of the best 40T general purpose blades in the $80-$100 range (Ridge Carbide TS2000, Freud Fusion, Infinity Super General, and Tenryu Gold Medal), and an excellent 50T combo blade in the $70 range (Infinity Combomax).  For absolute best performance for each task, you can look into a good dedicated crosscut/ply blade and a dedicated bulk ripper, depending on what you cut most.