c1711 House Renovation

bgreenb

1 minute ago, davewyo said:

Is that a chest of drawers built into the plaster wall?

Yup - pretty common around here when you have a bungalow or cape style home - it's a way to make use of the dead space in eves.  I grew up in a bungalow built around 1930 and each upstairs bedroom had at least one set of drawers built into the wall.  

• Like 1

Interesting. I grew up in Rhode Island and I don't recall seeing that before.

I understand that it is a clever use of otherwise "dead" space, but I'm not a big fan of the look.

Overall, it looks like a nice little house.

Totally off subject but have you ever been to Toscanini's in Cambridge? Very good ice cream.:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I understand that it is a clever use of otherwise "dead" space, but I'm not a big fan of the look.

Oh me neither, believe me :)

9 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Totally off subject but have you ever been to Toscanini's in Cambridge? Very good ice cream.:)

Many, many times :) I went to Harvard so that was my neighborhood ice cream joint for four years.  Unfortunately that location closed a couple years after I graduated.  The only location remaining is in central square.  But yes, very very good ice cream.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Yup.  Combination sawzall, chisels, handsaws, and a multitool.

I should add that people aren't kidding when they talk about how hard old growth pine is.  Whenever someone told me that I always rolled my eyes a little thinking to myself "yeah sure...but it's still pine."  Naive, I was.  

No idea what the janka numbers are, but I can tell you that the working characteristics were much closer to oak than to pine.  

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That must have been a pretty queasy feeling when you realized you had to completely rebuild half of the house.  Damn.

Yup. Completely rebuild half...and essentially rebuild about 90% of the other half. Nooooot exactly what I signed up for. But as you well know...the only way through it is through it. 

I saw this thread earlier while at work but, couldn't see the pictures because of the refinery's fire wall.  I'm glad I came back and checked out this thread!  I'm really looking forward to watching this transformation!  Great work so far!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

What kind of skull was that?  I also share your thoughts on demo.

I would guess some kind of small mammal like a squirrel or something. It's too big to be a mouse or rat. We have a ton of fisher cats around here but it seems too small for that. Maybe a fox?

How did you decide to restore this house? (instead of another one)

At which point(s) did you say, F it! This sucks!!??

Have you learned any ways to protect you/your investment/profit on the (possibly) next one with what you have learned?