c1711 House Renovation

bgreenb

48 minutes ago, Eric. said:

fireplace envy even though I never use mine (stinky and PITA). 

We have a gas fireplace at our house but it was retrofit into an existing wood burning fireplace by the previous owners.  Every so often I think about taking it out and going back to wood burning...then we'll go on vacation somewhere with a fireplace, I'll build a fire, all our clothes will stink, and I'll be happy I can just flip a switch at home :)

24 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Brian, this is amazing man. Really fantastic work. Did you take the year off work to do this? 

Thanks Shane!  Nope, I did it all in off hours.  Took a few days off work here and there but mainly worked after I put the kids to bed (7:30 or so) and then long weekend days.  For the last few months a typical weekend day was 12-16 hours work and then every weeknight from about 8-11.  If I were to actually pay myself for my hours then I lost a bundle on the project :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

We have a gas fireplace at our house but it was retrofit into an existing wood burning fireplace by the previous owners.  Every so often I think about taking it out and going back to wood burning...then we'll go on vacation somewhere with a fireplace, I'll build a fire, all our clothes will stink, and I'll be happy I can just flip a switch at home :)

Yeah a retrofit to a gas fireplace is on the long-long-term project list for the house.  The wife loves fires - and so do I - but it's just not worth the hassle and the stink.  Plus I'm super paranoid about burning my house down, as unlikely as it is.  Everything I've ever done that was worth doing is in this house and garage...if I lost it I would probably blow my brains out.  I'm truly not sure if I could start all over again from the beginning.

• Like 1

Picture this. If the new owners have small children, how long will it take them to find the beehive oven & crawl in there to play?

I love a real wood fire, but just not worth the mess & hassle. Took a long time to find a gas fireplace that had an acceptable look though.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike. said:

i am surprised at all the hate for wood burning fireplaces.   I use mine weekly in the winter and really enjoy it.  

No, not hate at all. I came across a being too negative there. We use the fireplace almost every evening in the winter so the amount of work for a real wood fire really piles up. And the fireplace we got has very nice, almost wood looking, flames.