c1711 House Renovation

bgreenb

I have been here on the forum much the last week or so, so I am just seeing this.  This is definitely an amazing undertaking.  All I have done is looked at the pictures and I am spent.  I am looking forward to the progress.

• Like 1

Awesome job, and thanks for documenting it so thoroughly.  It's heartening to see one of these old houses being saved.  Around here in Vancouver, zoning laws discourage this kind of renovation.  Essentially, the older houses have larger footprints that wouldn't be allowed on a new build.  However, the definition of a "renovation" is quite liberal, so a lot of the builders will almost completely tear down the old houses, leaving just one or two walls standing, and just build a completely new house around these sad remnants.  This qualifies as a renovation, and thus they can build a bigger house (which is what this market demands) than they otherwise could.  I personally would much rather have what you're doing, than some "renovated" McMansion...

• Like 1

Thanks for the ride. My first house was an 1860 we drove by daily and bought in sad state. The rot was much more limited and it was a simple repair as things go. I find it almost a calling. With regard to time hardening...the house was all poplar framing and hard as rock. Maybe tough more than hard. Good on ya!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bgreenb said:

Glad you guys are enjoying the journal.  I wasn't even going to do one but then decided to do it just for my own benefit, to have documentation somewhere of the journey.

Really glad you decided to share. This is an amazing undertaking and you sir have a big set of bawls !  

You must have learned so much from this journey, and that is priceless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Looks Great!   I'm glad you went with plaster.  I hate sheetrock anyway, and especially do in old houses.

Agree, and now that I've really seen the difference, I'll never go back. Sheetrock actually isn't even that common around here anymore other than in commercial jobs. Hardly any residential projects use it anymore. 

2 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Agree, and now that I've really seen the difference, I'll never go back. Sheetrock actually isn't even that common around here anymore other than in commercial jobs. Hardly any residential projects use it anymore. 

Even new construction?

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Even new construction?

Yup. It truly is a noticeable visual difference. Once it started becoming more common, all customers started wanting it, and demand for Sheetrock/mud/tape dwindled drastically.  My contractor said its actually hard to find guys who can mud and tape now because they all work for the big commercial operations now because they couldn't find work in residential construction. 

Brian - the blue board is a type of sheet rock, isn't it? But it is designed to be covered with a skim coat of plaster, correct?

Regional differences are always interesting.  Our climate is similar to yours, maybe a bit hotter in the summer.  1) everyone uses forced air heating and cooling as their primary system 2) I am fairly certain 90% of homes still use fiberglass insulation and 3) yup, we use taped and mudded sheet rock.   I guess all that money spent on EMT and copper prevents us from spending on better finishes, lol.  

11 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Brian - the blue board is a type of sheet rock, isn't it? But it is designed to be covered with a skim coat of plaster, correct? 

Correct. It's a special type of Sheetrock that is designed specifically for the plaster to bind to. They tape the seams just like regular Sheetrock but then apply a full fairly thick skim coat over the whole surface, and then come back a day later and apply another (thinner) skim coat. It's pretty cool seeing the surface when they're done. Nice flat smooth surface. Makes the trim easier too because you don't get nearly as much bulging at seams and corners. 

13 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Regional differences are always interesting.  Our climate is similar to yours, maybe a bit hotter in the summer.  1) everyone uses forced air heating and cooling as their primary system 2) I am fairly certain 90% of homes still use fiberglass insulation and 3) yup, we use taped and mudded sheet rock.   I guess all that money spent on EMT and copper prevents us from spending on better finishes, lol.  

Oh don't get me wrong, forced air is very common, probably the most common system in new construction for exactly the reasons I mentioned above. My house is hot water baseboard heating and then forced air central cooling. 

If I were building a house from scratch for myself I would do radiant heat and forced air cooling. 

Spray foam is still definitely much less common than fiberglass. It's more that it's increasing in popularity because the price is coming down and people are obsessed with energy efficiency now. 

But yes, pex, pvc, and romex are a lot cheaper than copper and EMT :) 

I absolutely love plaster, but around here, it's almost unheard of. A plaster wall under raking light is a beautiful thing. The slight, irregular undulations are almost organic. I'm sure it would be very expensive because there are so few qualified people to do it.

In Calgary, a really old house is 100 years old. We don't get to see anything like this here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bgreenb said:

Yup. It truly is a noticeable visual difference. Once it started becoming more common, all customers started wanting it, and demand for Sheetrock/mud/tape dwindled drastically.  My contractor said its actually hard to find guys who can mud and tape now because they all work for the big commercial operations now because they couldn't find work in residential construction. 

Wow, that's crazy.  Two very different mentalities between our geographies.  I don't think the vast majority of McMansion buyers around here even know what plaster is, let alone have the taste to want it.  I would have never guessed that it was being used in new construction anywhere, in light of the trend of going with the cheapest, fastest, easiest materials available...in any aspect of any home* that a builder thinks they can get away with.

*or any other thing in production at this time

What an amazing transformation on the exterior of that house.  That primer color is great! :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Brian, why poplar in some areas and pine in others?

The journal is going a bit out of order for presentation purposes, but I had a bunch of poplar left over from a previous part of the project (that I'll get to in the next post). I had just enough for all the windows, and I had to clear it out of my shop to make space, so I figured I might as well use it. 

Pine for the rest because it's cheaper :)

49 minutes ago, Eric. said:

*or any other thing in production at this time

This made me lol. 

Yeah this is a fair point. I think the explanation is that there is an ongoing tension between the (1) drive in our society to produce everything we cheaply and shoddily as possible because nobody knows the difference and (2) the desire to keep up with the joneses. 

Now (2) is interesting because I think it often manifests in desire for signals or totems that you can easily deploy as a talking point. Using plaster as an example, my guess is that some more affluent people started using it because they truly did notice and appreciate the difference. Then their friends saw that they had gotten plaster, so when they did their own renovations, they demanded it because "that's what people 'in the know' use."  I suspect that's the reason everyone demands dovetailed drawers in their kitchens now even though a tiny percentage could actually tell you why other than to say "that's what all my friends have."

Then I think you end up with an economic/price adjustment process just like in anything else. Demand increases, supply increases to match, workers see where the demand trends are going and create downward price pressure (just like the spray foam) and eventually it becomes more mainstream, just like how even Home Depot cabinets have dovetail drawers now. 

But yes I do suspect there are huge regional differences in these trends.

It's similar with cars. The wealthy subsidize R&D of features that we consider standard now because they pay for them in high end cars. The reason your Honda Civic has Bluetooth (and electronic Windows and door locks for that matter) is that some rich dude paid for it in his Mercedes or jaguar years ago. 

Just my armchair analysis, and I assure you it's worth the price you paid :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Now (2) is interesting because I think it often manifests in desire for signals or totems that you can easily deploy as a talking point. Using plaster as an example, my guess is that some more affluent people started using it because they truly did notice and appreciate the difference. Then their friends saw that they had gotten plaster, so when they did their own renovations, they demanded it because "that's what people 'in the know' use."  I suspect that's the reason everyone demands dovetailed drawers in their kitchens now even though a tiny percentage could actually tell you why other than to say "that's what all my friends have."

Plaster...the shellac of the homebuilding world. :)

Yeah your analysis makes sense...a logical progression.  A seed is planted and takes root.  Plus you have to imagine that people in Boston (and similar older American geographies) are generally more aware of traditional finishes in homes simply due to exposure.  The vast majority of St. Louisans grew up in post-war or newer homes, where old school craftsmanship has been all but lost on us.  Ignorance breeds ignorance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Plaster...the shellac of the homebuilding world. :)

Yeah your analysis makes sense...a logical progression.  A seed is planted and takes root.  Plus you have to imagine that people in Boston (and similar older American geographies) are generally more aware of traditional finishes in homes simply due to exposure.  The vast majority of St. Louisans grew up in post-war or newer homes, where old school craftsmanship has been all but lost on us.  Ignorance breeds ignorance.

to add to the discussion.... the historic homes in Boston are not very large, or at least not large by moderb housing tract atandards. .   $800,000 for 1500 sq ft can buy you nice finishes, and things like plaster, foam insulation, radiant floors, dovetails, and inset cabinetry become the realtor talking points.   Brian, my guess is there are not that many cabinets in your kitchen, so the cabinets you use are mich better quality.  Just a guess :) 

In my area, land is still somewhat plentiful (farmland is still be converting in housing tracts) so "4,000 square feet" is the realtor talking point.   Filling a 4,000 SF house with top end finishes will send you into bankruptcy.... 

16 minutes ago, Mike. said:

to add to the discussiob.... the historic homes in Boston are not very large, or at least not large by moderb housing tract atandards. .   $800,000 for 1500 sq ft can buy you nice finishes, and things like plaster, foam insulation, radiant floors, dovetails, and inset cabinetry become the realtor talking points.   Brian, my guess is there are not that many cabinets in your kitchen, so the cabinets you use are mich better quality.  Just a guess :) 

In my area, land is still somewhat plentiful (farmland is still be converting in housing tracts) so "4,000 square feet" is the realtor talking point.   Filling a 4,000 SF house with top end finishes will send you into bankruptcy.... 

Yup, this is a major factor as well.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of 4k+ sf homes around, but the vast vast majority of "high end" homes top out around 3k-3200sf, and most are closer to 2800-3000.   Now that's still a big house, but it's not unreasonable to fill a house like that with high end finishes.  Especially since most houses around here are stylistically simple because that's what people want:  colonial, expanded cape, gambrel, etc.