Wondering what kind of wood this is

Jzd89

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 0:05 AM, logos said:

Western walnut

29 minutes ago, Jplupercio@CSUSA said:

Looks like you got some Claro Walnut.

How on earth do you guys think you can ID Claro walnut from those pics?  Claro and black are almost impossible to tell apart looking at freshly milled lumber in person.  It does appear to be walnut but there's no way y'all can say which species.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eric. said:

How on earth do you guys think you can ID Claro walnut from those pics?  Claro and black are almost impossible to tell apart looking at freshly milled lumber in person.  It does appear to be walnut but there's no way y'all can say which species.

Fake news is to blame :D

-Ace-

• Like 2

Tough call. Not really sure from these pics.

I am used to seeing aged reclaimed western locally but don't have a lot of experience looking at aged Claro. My above comment was my best guess and only a guess based on my experience. I wouldn't be shocked if it was even a different species.

I'd guess the top pic is western...

I think if the OP lived in the northwest then it might be a bit more logical to guess that it's claro, although it would still be nothing but a guess.  My point is only that claro and black walnut both come in a range of colors and figures, and while claro does tend to contain more intense figure in the crotch areas and is more prone to curl, there's simply no way to distinguish one from the other without tracing its origin somehow.  I'm sure the Center for Wood Anatomy Research has some scientific way of identifying either species, but to most casual observers, there is no discernible difference between the two.

My taste test above proves the point...the top is black walnut and the bottom is claro.  According to the sources anyway...there's a good chance they don't know the difference either.

I do agree that when you see that crotch walnut with the heavy figure and feathering, it's more often claro.  But not always.

• Like 1