Howdy from WI...err, Sorta.

taddy1340

Howdy folks.  Saying hello from WI...sorta.  I'm in the Air Force and originally from WI.  My wife and 4 kids are back there now.  I'm deployed to the Middle East and I was surprised to have found a local hobbyist wood shop at my dispense.  I've been tinkering with military shadow boxes, coin displays and furniture for the past 12 years or so.  

Hoping to take advantage of my year here and build some small projects I've put off.  A few retirement shadow boxes, flag displays, TV Trays, etc.  I retire in Summer 2018 and will rejoin my family in WI.  

Look forward to my time on here.  Been following via FB for awhile, but recently got off of FB.  

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean [Fr] said:

Welcome Mike, I wish you a lot of fun in the woodshop ;)

@rodger. Was your bro in holidays ? Because there's no conflict in Poland, which is a part of the EC now.

Def not on holiday - he was not very excited to go (he returned a few weeks back, but is still on base in Edmonton, while his family is in another province).

Most likely he was there for "peace keeping". I don't ask about his experiences much anymore, as he has seen things in other places he doesn't want to talk about.

1 hour ago, rodger. said:

Def not on holiday - he was not very excited to go (he returned a few weeks back, but is still on base in Edmonton, while his family is in another province).

Most likely he was there for "peace keeping". I don't ask about his experiences much anymore, as he has seen things in other places he doesn't want to talk about.

I understand that. A lot of people in my family served. I was surprised because Poland is a state of the European Union. Obviously Poland don't need any "peace keeping" program.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

NATO member countries routinely send their military to other member countries for training and knowledge sharing.  

You're probably right, I did not thought about training/sharing. I was just surprised as any American would probably be if he heard about European forces just came back from operation in Montana or any other state. It sounds crazy at first.

14 hours ago, Jean [Fr] said:

Welcome Mike, I wish you a lot of fun in the woodshop ;)

@rodger. Was your bro in holidays ? Because there's no conflict in Poland, which is a part of the EC now.

Here is an article about our troops heading to Poland:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2017/02/canadian_army_soldiersheadtopolandinsupportofoperationreassuranc.html

On 7/29/2017 at 1:19 AM, taddy1340 said:

Howdy folks.  Saying hello from WI...sorta.  I'm in the Air Force and originally from WI.  My wife and 4 kids are back there now.  I'm deployed to the Middle East and I was surprised to have found a local hobbyist wood shop at my dispense.  I've been tinkering with military shadow boxes, coin displays and furniture for the past 12 years or so.  

Hoping to take advantage of my year here and build some small projects I've put off.  A few retirement shadow boxes, flag displays, TV Trays, etc.  I retire in Summer 2018 and will rejoin my family in WI.  

Look forward to my time on here.  Been following via FB for awhile, but recently got off of FB.  

Mike

Welcome fellow cheesehead!

Where are you from? I grew up in the little town of Bloomington, WI.

2 hours ago, taddy1340 said:

Collin,

Thanks for the note.  Small town of Reedsville (about 20 minutes south of Green Bay).  

GO PACK GO!

That's way up there. (My sister is in Antigo.) So far up there that you would likely consider me a southerner.

But ... I'm still north of the cheddar curtain!

On 8/4/2017 at 11:01 PM, taddy1340 said:

Consider you a southerner or a FIB--just kidding!  haha

Still a long way from being a FIB, though I had never heard that expression before. Probably has something to do with Bears fans. :-)

2 hours ago, collinb said:

Still a long way from being a FIB, though I had never heard that expression before. Probably has something to do with Bears fans. :-)

"Flippin' Illinois Bast@#$.  The northern Sconnies gave it to them after coming "up north" all the time.  Before anyone gets offended...just kidding.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, taddy1340 said:

"Flippin' Illinois Bast@#$.  The northern Sconnies gave it to them after coming "up north" all the time.  Before anyone gets offended...just kidding.  

But can we really blame them for seeking something better?