Incidental Boxes (with apologies to Eric)

bgreenb

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, estesbubba said:

Brian what did you think of the Tried and True original? I like it for smaller items but surely wouldn't want to use it on anything very big - it's like trying to spread honey! 

Sorry Mike, somehow I missed this question last week.  

I wasn't a big fan of T&T, to be honest.  The application is straightforward enough, I suppose, but I feel like Danish oil is easier and gives the exact same (or better) appearance.  Definitely wouldn't use it on anything but small projects, like you said.  But I have a whole can of it now, so I may still use it on some boxes and whatnot down the road.

Just tuned in to this. Nice work Brian!  Did you use a backsaw or Japanese saw? I agree with Eric about the surprise lining - cool touch. 

I started trying a dovetail a day a couple of months ago then got sidetracked. I’ve been reading Tom Fidgen’s book Made by Hand and last night came across the section on dovetailing. Just finished a project so now’s a good time to get back at it. Thanks for the added inspiration. 

10 hours ago, prov163 said:

Just tuned in to this. Nice work Brian!  Did you use a backsaw or Japanese saw? I agree with Eric about the surprise lining - cool touch. 

I started trying a dovetail a day a couple of months ago then got sidetracked. I’ve been reading Tom Fidgen’s book Made by Hand and last night came across the section on dovetailing. Just finished a project so now’s a good time to get back at it. Thanks for the added inspiration. 

Thanks!  I used a backsaw (LN dovetail saw), which I've grown pretty comfortable with.  I previously had a Veritas dovetail saw which I really didn't like.  It may be just me because I know others on the forum like it, but I could never get it to cut smoothly, whereas the LN worked right out of the box.