Side Table Build

pkinneb

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

Looks like a cool project.  What  is your plan for the finish?  The pictures I have seen the table were ebonized.

Thanks Chet!! I am going to fume it, then use some garnet shellac, and finish with wiping satin wiping varnish, should turn out on the middle of the darkness scale. I will definitely be doing some test pieces since I plan to use the same process to do a future coffee table, Morris chair and ottoman, and a arts and crafts lamp. 

I am working on a WO piece right now that i was thinking about fuming, but in some of the stuff I read they talked about how it can come out inconsistent at times so I chickened out.  I am going to try a Jeff Jewitt recipe that duplicates the Stickley furniture's "Aurora" finish.

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I am working on a WO piece right now that i was thinking about fuming, but in some of the stuff I read they talked about how it can come out inconsistent at times so I chickened out.  I am going to try a Jeff Jewitt recipe that duplicates the Stickley furniture's "Aurora" finish.

Yeah I have read especially if you have boards from different trees in the same piece it can be a problem. I watch / read a fair amount of Mike Pekovich material over at FWW and I am going to follow his procedure and see how it goes. I'll have to check out Jeff Jewitt's process as well thanks for the heads up!

Project is looking good !   I imagine cleaning up glue from that many inside corners was a chore. 

That grid panel buried in clamps seems familiar. It still amazes me how what I thought was going to be a simple glue up keeps needing more clamps to close the gaps that pop up. Sometimes even if you do a dry run to see how many clamps you need it behaves differently with glue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I like journals and this has started out being a good one. Continue on bud! Looking good! 

Thanks Coop!

14 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Great start to the project, look forward to watching the build.

Thanks!!

7 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I always love your journals, Paul. Awesome works so far.

Thanks Shane!

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Wow Paul, thats more hand screw clamps then most store have on the shelf.

LOL yeah I have had 6 small and 6 medium for about 20 years and really just started using them more and more in the last couple of years. They worked great here because I could get two joints per clamp. I found out in the first glue up that every joint has to be clamped, as Steve stated things move with glue which you can see in the last pick where after removing the clamps I found gaps that needed closing.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Project is looking good !   I imagine cleaning up glue from that many inside corners was a chore. 

That grid panel buried in clamps seems familiar. It still amazes me how what I thought was going to be a simple glue up keeps needing more clamps to close the gaps that pop up. Sometimes even if you do a dry run to see how many clamps you need it behaves differently with glue. 

Thanks Steve! More so than i expected LOL. Like you said everything starts to slip with glue so each joint had to be clamped.

Titebond and LocWeld make a glue with an invisible dye in it that only shows up under a black light. When you have cleaned up all the squeeze out it's no longer visible. I got a LED flashlight, flip off the shop lights and it's real obvious what needs more cleanup.  I don't use it for most projects but if I was gluing up a grid like that it would be what I reached for. 

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

LOL yeah I have had 6 small and 6 medium for about 20 years and really just started using them more and more in the last couple of years.

One of the long time standards that we tend to ignore.  Very handy for many things. Mine store in an otherwise useless corner.  Just a length of rope with a loop every so often.  After a while you can retrieve and replace them one-handed.

Hand Screws 001.jpg

• Like 2